DA: Adobe VP says Creative Cloud is 'a big bet', but allows for better tools

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #1
DA: Adobe VP says Creative Cloud is 'a big bet', but allows for better tools

Quote:
"Adobe’s move from Creative Suite to Creative Cloud offers a chance to overhaul its software in new and exciting ways, says VP Mala Sharma in an interview at Adobe’s Creative Days event in London – but it could leave the company damaged if customers aren’t won over. Sharma, who is VP of professional business in Adobe’s digital media business unit, also gave a clear sense of direction about what the company has planned for future software releases – which includes many more brand-new applications.

Her comments about Adobe’s vulnerability came in response to being asked about user’s fears that, while Creative Cloud is affordable now, the company could use its market-dominant position to push up prices substantially in the future – with users ‘locked into’ their core tools on the platform.

“My only rational response to that is that we can't [push up prices],” says Sharma. “It's in our best interests to win our customers' trust – as every month they're going to be choosing whether they want to stay engaged with us or not. We have never been more vulnerable, in my opinion, than in [moving to a subscription model]. It's a really big bet.

"
http://www.digitalartsonline.co.uk/...creative-cloud/
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 06 June 2013   #2
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz: “It's in our best interests to win our customers' trust – as every month they're going to be choosing whether they want to stay engaged with us or not. We have never been more vulnerable,..."

Wow, what a bunch of marketing-speak bullsh!t. Yeah, sure, a company with 100 seats of CS is going to "choose whether they want to stay engaged with us or not." Jiminy, shit like this makes me want to punch a marketing person in the throat. Poor, wittle Adobe - I hope they can survive this terrible ordeal.

Old 06 June 2013   #3
could not have said it better myself Artbot

Old 06 June 2013   #4
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz: Quote:

“My only rational response to that is that we can't [push up prices],” says Sharma. “It's in our best interests to win our customers' trust – as every month they're going to be choosing whether they want to stay engaged with us or not. We have never been more vulnerable, in my opinion, than in [moving to a subscription model]. It's a really big bet."

Prophecy or profundity?

Old 06 June 2013   #5
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz: Quote:
"My only rational response to that is that we can't [push up prices],” says Sharma. “It's in our best interests to win our customers' trust – as every month they're going to be choosing whether they want to stay engaged with us or not. We have never been more vulnerable, in my opinion, than in [moving to a subscription model]. It's a really big bet."

Good luck with that. They couldn't win my trust over the course of 20 years of using their tools.
It IS a really big bet, with huge implications for the computing world in general, I hope they lose.
Disgusting.

Old 06 June 2013   #6
I love how they say "every month" customers will decide whether to stay with Adobe. No, not really. Month to month is more expensive then it should be, and they are clearly pushing people towards the yearly contract.

Old 06 June 2013   #7
Thumbs down

I hope they get (figuratively/economically) punched in the throat over this. I also hope they recover and begin once more making rational business decisions.

Old 06 June 2013   #8
"never been more vulnerable." ???
Not at ALL. Currently people pay them once, usually every 2-3 years. And after the first purchase it's only upgrade price. The reason people only upgrade that often is because the upgrades aren't usually groundbreaking enough for them to justify the purchase. Yeah, it's nice, but I can't go tell my boss I need it without being misleading.

Comparing the cost difference, and the fact that Most people who will be buying into this will give a yearly agreement, not monthly. They can actually literally lose more than half of their users and still make more money than previous years. That's a Lot of us that have to walk or wait to upgrade. The only people here that upgraded from 5 to 6 did so because of improvements to video. Everyone else is on the design suite which hasn't significantly improved since some of it went 64bit.

I also hope someone gets "punched in the throat" for this. I hope the company has a terrible time as a result of this, and it ends up being split up a bunch of ways so it can pick up all of the pieces. I could care less about investors because you shouldn't invest your money in bad companies. But I Would care for the employees there who are just trying to make an honest living. The guy that came up with the BS about being vulnerable can still feel free to get figuratively punched in the throat though.

Old 06 June 2013   #9
Well Microsofr is going over the cloud cliff too.

Microsoft Confirms Gamers' Fears Over Xbox One(Yes they went with Cloud Subscription)

I wonder who will be next?
-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 06 June 2013   #10
OK, sorry if this starts to get in the weeds or whatever but here goes.

If certain US govt agencies are tracking Metadata of all communications as it appears to be happening. Then why would they stop there? Photoshop is the De Facto Standard Image Manipulation app in the world. Would'nt they do the same to Adobe if they could?

Until a few days ago I thought this kind of stuff was "Pie in the Sky" type of stuff. But clearly, that is not the case.
Since it has been confirmed that Adobe apps collect Metadata as you use the tools and what not. Are they in fact also turning over data? How would we know?

The fact that Microsoft, Apple, Facebook and several others are either unwittinigly, knowingly, or forced to turn over Metadata. why would Adobe be any different?

Adobe is the largest software company in the world behind Microsoft, Apple, Oracle, and maybe one or two others. Clearly PS is used by everyone and unfortunately probably bad guys too. We would be Naïve to think that tracking Photoshop files would not be used to "track" bad guys too. I have no idea, but what would bad guys really use for their website, image, and video creation?

Any thoughts?

Old 06 June 2013   #11
Also, I am concerned about the plethora of legal issues with the potential of tracking users that are not Americans. If it turns out to be the way it is in America, these things would be worked on through already established means of legal system adjudication. But for every non American which is basically a very large portion of the users on this site. This is completely and wholly wrong and illegal if it were to happen.

Again I have no idea if any of this is true. If the Metadata of all these companies are being collected as a way tracking communication. It Stands to reason visual communication would have to be there too?

I sincerely hope this is wrong. I do not like how this is looking like some kind of matrix movie like junk. So what? we have to wait on "Neo" to save us? Geez.

Old 06 June 2013   #12
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread