WSJ: Adobe Considering Cloud Changes in Response to Critics.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2013
I remember back in the day when Quark XPress owned the desktop publishing industry. They didnt bother doing any signficant upgrades for something like 7 years during the nineties - when QuakXPress 4 finally came out, it was so buggy that hardly anyone used it - and it took a few years more before the next version came out. But people were stuck using their overpriced software, because there were no real alternatives

Im sure they were madly profitabable and felt very secure since they had no serious competitors. Kind'a like Adobe with Photoshop these days.

Then in 1999, Adobe released Indesign and within a couple of years, Quark was mostly forgotten

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by Dillster: I hate to say it, but I think Cloud pay & play for software is going to come at us from all directions, and soon. Adobe are the first big name to go this way, others will follow. The benefits are huge for the vendor, the main one I think is that it kills piracy stone dead. No production or distribution costs for the software either.
I am surprised that the older wiser heads here didn't see this coming sooner. All the signs have been there for a while, such as online gameplay, Netflix movies etc. like it or not, the future is here now.

You're right, but it'll reach a breaking point where people will stop paying into it.
I've never been one to invest in that nonsense of paying montly to play games, I find it insane.

I understand Sam's Club and BJ's here in the United States charges you a yearly fee for shopping in their stores for food and other products, but what's going to happen when smaller grocery stores do the same?
The subscription fees and subscription practice is only going to get larger as companies follow Adobe and this similar business model.

It's like we're in the age of monthly subscription fees.

06 June 2013
Adobe might as well have said, "We listened carefully to our customers, we weighed their concerns about our new cloud-based subscription service, and said 'Phuck You!' Just try finding a production alternative!"

Originally Posted by rhinton: It's like we're in the age of monthly subscription fees.

This. It's all around us and is entirely Wall Street-driven. Phone, cable, internet, Netflix, cars, housing, utilities, debt payments - it's all monthly. It's a convenient way to make it seem like you are paying less overall (which is usually not the case) since everything just becomes a monthly line-item. It's sooo much easier for customers to simply break it down (like many people have done right here) to something like "I only have to work 2 hours a month to pay for this service." It's a weird bit of reverse justification.

06 June 2013
Quote: Then in 1999, Adobe released Indesign and within a couple of years, Quark was mostly forgotten

The thing is though, InDesign was a buggy wreck when released and not really that great a competitor to Quark. I've often wondered how much of Quark's sales were lost through lack of innovation on their end (certainly at least SOME lost sales were due to that) versus how many sales were lost simply because InDesign got bundled into a Creative Suite and sold as a package. I feel like a lot of places jumped ship from Quark to InDesign simply because it was bundled in a CS suite.

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by chewedon: Why doesn't everyone just buy the current physical suites (CS5.5, CS6.0) instead of buying any future versions?

EXACTLY !!! Who said we need every possible update? CS 4 is still enough for most of the tasks . The leap between updates in adobe products isn't that huge so why to bother. I think people will stay with physical suites and adobe sooner or later will realized it. But it will be painful realization

06 June 2013
My company will stick with CS6 across the board due to backward compatibility, and that means about 10 Creative Suite packages that will not be updated. That is just our location, all subsidiaries will do the same to remain compatible with each other. I'm sure we are not the only ones doing this in order to save money and future headaches. I think Adobe made a big mistake by going this way.

06 June 2013
Well I most certainly hope that for everyone's sake Adobe DOES listen to all of this. I decided a while back not to get too locked in to Adobe's products, but I still prefer to use Photoshop for some things. I do realize that many, like Frank here, are in a difficult situation.

However, keep in mind that things don't last forever. Even the US government has been forced to alter systems on many occasions, where a contracted system was designed by the contractor as a closed system and not to be easily transitioned from in order to retain business. Systems migration can be very painful, slow and expensive and the longer you wait, the worse it gets. I'm only saying this as something to think about. I've seen it too many times to wish it on anyone.

06 June 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread