WSJ: Adobe Considering Cloud Changes in Response to Critics.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05 May 2013   #31
Originally Posted by Dillster: I hate to say it, but I think Cloud pay & play for software is going to come at us from all directions, and soon. Adobe are the first big name to go this way, others will follow. The benefits are huge for the vendor, the main one I think is that it kills piracy stone dead. No production or distribution costs for the software either.
I am surprised that the older wiser heads here didn't see this coming sooner. All the signs have been there for a while, such as online gameplay, Netflix movies etc. like it or not, the future is here now.


This isn't going to affect piracy one bit and they are aware of that. Even the vendor I talked to knew that. This is not a move against piracy, is a move "earn more money doing the same thing".

Really cheering for Corel, Foundry and other developers to take advantage of this opportunity.
__________________
didali
 
Old 05 May 2013   #32
I don't think The Foundry understand that if instead of selling NukeX for $5K, they brought their prices down to $1,500 for NukeX/Heiro/Mari combo they would see HUGE amounts of people buy into their software.

I know for a fact that we aren't switching because of cost. So right now The Foundry gets $0 from me. If they changes their pricing and bundled the three apps together I would buy at 10 licenses at $15,000 + subscriptions.

Hopefully they realize this soon
__________________
MAKE - All that good visual stuff!
 
Old 05 May 2013   #33
Originally Posted by davius: This isn't going to affect piracy one bit and they are aware of that. Even the vendor I talked to knew that. This is not a move against piracy, is a move "earn more money doing the same thing".

Really cheering for Corel, Foundry and other developers to take advantage of this opportunity.

Imagine if a pirate were to simply 'hack' a CC version to behave like an install of CS6?
 
Old 05 May 2013   #34
There ARE alternatives out there. GIMP, Pixelmator, Photoline, Inkscape, and more. Personally, the only Adobe product I use every day is Photoshop, but even then, I could do without. I've used Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Indesign, Flash, and Photoshop for commercial purposes in the past, but Photoshop has really been the only one I felt was truly worth my time. I will not spend $1 on any more Adobe products. I said it since CS3 and stuck to it. I never looked back
 
Old 05 May 2013   #35
Originally Posted by PhilipeaNguyen: Also...don't be surprised if Apple buys Corel, re-writes their Windows-Only apps so that there's feature parity with PS and they run on OSX for $199 a year or so from now. As much as people like to bash Apple it wasn't that long ago that they were the Mac truck the Adobe and Avid stepped out in front of on for video/film post-production tools.

coreldraw used to be on osx as well..i have coreldraw 11 and that's osx and windows pc...so no BIGGY to convert X6 over as they have already done this in the past.
__________________
stee+cats

http://www.cresshead.com
youtube channel:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/cresshead

"zero stones - zero crates"
 
Old 06 June 2013   #36
Originally Posted by Blazer: I don't think The Foundry understand that if instead of selling NukeX for $5K, they brought their prices down to $1,500 for NukeX/Heiro/Mari combo they would see HUGE amounts of people buy into their software.

I know for a fact that we aren't switching because of cost. So right now The Foundry gets $0 from me. If they changes their pricing and bundled the three apps together I would buy at 10 licenses at $15,000 + subscriptions.

Hopefully they realize this soon


Foundry is now part of Carlyle group
http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/464b...l#axzz2UxL0DJlb
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlyle_Group

I seriously doubt that it's gonna be the way they go ...
__________________
emfx.fr
 
Old 06 June 2013   #37
Originally Posted by davius: ....Really cheering for Corel, Foundry and other developers to take advantage of this opportunity.


My Dad is a newspaper photographer and he was telling me that the paper is now looking for alternatives for Photoshop in order to avoid the new Cloud system. Corel is a strong contender.
Apparently the newspaper management are mainly concerned about compromising stories and content to competitors by using Cloud. They are not keen on that idea at all. The increased costs of renting Photoshop is a secondary factor.
My Dad would prefer to keep using Photoshop simply because he has been using it for many years and doesn't like the idea of having to learn new stuff.
__________________
I like to learn.

Last edited by Dillster : 06 June 2013 at 09:39 AM.
 
Old 06 June 2013   #38
Originally Posted by Dillster: Apparently the newspaper management are mainly concerned about compromising stories and content to competitors by using Cloud. They are not keen on that idea at all.


Why not just save it to their hard drives the same way they always did?
__________________
~~Phil Nolan
3D Modeler & Texture Artist
www.philnolan3d.com
Sculpt first, Polygons later

 
Old 06 June 2013   #39
I bought Photoshop elements 7 and switched to Serif (Serif PhotoPlus is good but has some nonpleasant things) - PagePlus, DrawPlus, Webplus and some others. I can't compare them with Adobe for huge projects but for small ones they are excelent And the prices with discounts are very good. They are selling older versions with discounts too so for 15-20 I got software that is doing the job.
 
Old 06 June 2013   #40
Originally Posted by philnolan3d: Why not just save it to their hard drives the same way they always did?


As I understand it, they are concerned that the Cloud will be able to access their files while using Photoshop. I told my Dad that the Cloud connection only checks that the subscription is paid up when Photoshop is opened, but there seems to be an unjustified fear that Adobe will be keeping copies of people's work on the Cloud.
There seems to be a lack of understanding on how it all works, fear of Adobes TOS etc. Commercial entities and publications need absolute clarity on what will happen to their data and IP rights. If they don't understand it, they won't buy into it.
__________________
I like to learn.
 
Old 06 June 2013   #41
Originally Posted by ralvord: There ARE alternatives out there. GIMP, Pixelmator, Photoline, Inkscape, and more. Personally, the only Adobe product I use every day is Photoshop, but even then, I could do without. I've used Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Indesign, Flash, and Photoshop for commercial purposes in the past, but Photoshop has really been the only one I felt was truly worth my time. I will not spend $1 on any more Adobe products. I said it since CS3 and stuck to it. I never looked back


Really? as an alternative? Have you even worked in a production environment. Here artists, us gimp. You have to be fucking kidding me.

I really like the idea of people migrating to other packages though. I can get a lot of work done in Substance Designer and Z brush. I wish the price on Mari was lowered too. Now is the time to lower some prices Foundry folks.
 
Old 06 June 2013   #42
Originally Posted by rasamaya: Really? as an alternative? Have you even worked in a production environment. Here artists, us gimp. You have to be fucking kidding me.

I really like the idea of people migrating to other packages though. I can get a lot of work done in Substance Designer and Z brush. I wish the price on Mari was lowered too. Now is the time to lower some prices Foundry folks.


No offense, but I've heard the "well this is the industry standard" argument way too much. The point is if a business wants to spend thousands to do the very same thing with industry standard software, that's obviously an option. Many businesses are looking to save costs, to include letting people go. Now is a time to make cost-saving decisions. Learning how to leverage tools well enough to do what you normally do can take time. You'll often get out of it what you put into it.
 
Old 06 June 2013   #43
Originally Posted by ralvord: No offense, but I've heard the "well this is the industry standard" argument way too much. The point is if a business wants to spend thousands to do the very same thing with industry standard software, that's obviously an option. Many businesses are looking to save costs, to include letting people go. Now is a time to make cost-saving decisions. Learning how to leverage tools well enough to do what you normally do can take time. You'll often get out of it what you put into it.


I know what you're saying but to turn your argument around on you, companies have been penny pinching for ages yet none of the apps you mentioned have received widespread adoption. They simply aren't production ready. Hopefully this gives somebody the impetus to uprate one of them.
__________________
Visual Effects Artist (of sorts)
 
Old 06 June 2013   #44
Perhaps not all are, but I would say Inkscape is production ready. There isn't anything I can do in Illustrator that I haven't been able to do in Inkscape and sometimes faster. Granted, I don't use all of Illustrator's capabilities, as I don't have a need to. Also, I can do pretty much everything I need to in 3D Coat and, to some degree, in ZBrush without ever going into Adobe's products. I can code websites (and often do) without ever touching Dreamweaver. HTML5 is coming closer to Flash's capabilities and Swish can do what Flash does, for the most part. The ONLY reason I use Flash these days is for Scaleform, but I prefer not to. If I'm working in Unity, I don't even need it at all. In that case, I could use just about any of the other programs I've listed and do just fine

One thing we do know for sure is that many companies are going under for many reasons. What alternatives have all those penny pinching companies seriously tested and considered?

Last edited by ralvord : 06 June 2013 at 08:29 PM.
 
Old 06 June 2013   #45
Quote: Yes it is. Why do you think that Toyota or Honda appeared. All them appeared because there was initiative and a perceived market for a different solutions. Ford appeared in 1903, Toyota in 1937, the first Honda automobile was in 1963. 60 years after Ford.


In 1903, if you were not happy with Ford, what were you going to do? In your scenario, either nothing, don't drive a car, or wait 34 years for the first Toyota (which was largely terrible and not really available in most places). I'm sorry, it just really isn't a good comparison. At all.


Quote: So.. you are admitting the fact that you have no other choice.
Then why would Adobe drop their plan?

Unless people invest on "Yugo", Toyata will do whatever they want to do.


Um ... yes. That's kind of my point. They AREN'T going to drop/change their plan. Can I invest in "Yugo"? Yep. But the point is that if I'm in a situation where I need certain tools in order to make a living, I'd really rather not be "investing" in something that isn't quite ready for "prime-time" and isn't going to *immediately* fill that gap. It's a choice we will all have to make at some point and Adobe knows it. The odds of anyone catching up to them any time soon are very very slim. I'm going to run my CS6 as long as I can while looking at alternatives and *hoping* Adobe changes its poplicy, but like I said earlier - I'm not holding my breath either.

Quote: Also...don't be surprised if Apple buys Corel, re-writes their Windows-Only apps so that there's feature parity with PS and they run on OSX for $199 a year or so from now. As much as people like to bash Apple it wasn't that long ago that they were the Mac truck the Adobe and Avid stepped out in front of on for video/film post-production tools.


lol. Editing Mac Truck that AVID stepped in front of? IDK about that. In most places with an Avid system, FCP is (and always has been) a bare bones basic cut station and little else.

I'd be very surprised if the above scenario happened though. It is not a trivial matter to port all of that over to MAC and then there's the fact that Apple is moving AWAY from all things professional anyway. It makes more sense for them from a bottom line stand-point so I wouldn't look for them to be the savior here any time soon.
 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.