WSJ: Adobe Considering Cloud Changes in Response to Critics.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #16
26,800 customers are against their cloud service and they say they'll have a solution shortly..

what are the options for those on low budgets.. open source?

Old 05 May 2013   #17
Why doesn't everyone just buy the current physical suites (CS5.5, CS6.0) instead of buying any future versions?

Last edited by chewedon : 05 May 2013 at 10:12 AM.

Old 05 May 2013   #18
Originally Posted by chewedon: Why doesn't everyone just buy the current physical suites (CS5.5, CS6.0) instead of buying any future versions?

yeah, adobe would hate that....

portfolio - www.shaidacher.com
Vimeo - vimeo.com/deroesi

game project - moldgame.wordpress.com

WIPs - theremoteguy.tumblr.com

Old 05 May 2013   #19
Adobe reminds me of a country government. They have smooth-talking politicians who write "we care about our customers" speeches but care about only one thing- their bottom line. The only vote that counts in either case is the one with your wallet.

Old 05 May 2013   #20
Originally Posted by MichaelWBell: This is one of the big problems Cloud adopters are going to face.

So, imagine they've subscribed to the cloud for 3 years and they now want to move to another, more innovative and cheaper vendor...what about all the digital art they have created with the Creative Cloud software over the last 3 years?

Anytime they want to access that, they are going to have to resume a creative cloud subscription. If they had a perpetual licence, they could make the switch and keep their 'old' Adobe software on the shelf for the times they want to edit an old project.

People argue that you can export PSDs as TIFF layers and Premiere timelines as EDLs, etc, etc....or you could 'just' rebuild a project from scratch. That's just rediculous. WHY are people happy to resort to that for no good reason?

With a Cloud-only future, users are loosing so, so, so many freedoms as 'customers'. It astounds me that so many users are still actually defending Adobe's cloud-only scheme.

Stick with CS6 for a while until you have no choice. That is our plan

Honestly for 99% of people out there now upgrading from CS6 will not really give you much more useful features. The only thing that becomes a problem in collaborative production is when you need to work with other people that have newer versions. And if you have a project that REQUIRES you to use a newer version just pay the monthly fee and use it for the 1 month of the project. Then go back.

I know it's not ideal.... but nothing would be ideal other than Adobe going back to the suites. Fine, make then download only, but let me upgrade my Production Premium suites once a year. Or put me on subscription. Whatever..... just not this

Old 05 May 2013   #21
Originally Posted by Blazer: And if you have a project that REQUIRES you to use a newer version just pay the monthly fee and use it for the 1 month of the project. Then go back.

but thats one of the problems, because as far as I understand you only can subscribe for at least a year. You are paying per month, but hace to do so for 12 months. So you canīt get away with just one monthly payment.
Or did I get this wrong?

Old 05 May 2013   #22
Originally Posted by Walli: As far as I understand you only can subscribe for at least a year. You are paying per month, but have to do so for 12 months. So you canīt get away with just one monthly payment.
Or did I get this wrong?

You can rent with the cloud for 1 month, it's more expensive though.

Another alternative would be to use the 30 day trial, but I guess you could only use that option once.

Espire 1: My VR Stealth game - CGTalk thread

Old 05 May 2013   #23
I recently got in touch with our local adobe vendor and voiced my concerns about this cloud thing. He, as any good vendor would do, immediately praised the "benefits" of being on the cloud (always updated, access to all the softwares) completely ignoring my questions about "what if I don't need all the products" and "if an update includes a bug or if I don't need that update, am I obligated to download the update prior using the software? Like PS3 or X360?"

He even said we was completely unaware of all the angry forum posts made all over the web about this move from Adobe. What was I expecting? He's a vendor after all. For him, everything is as it should be.

The only way to make this change (IF it will change at all) is boycotting adobe software. Unfortunately they will only listen to our money - once they see their revenues and earnings going down some heads will be chopped and changes will be made to their business model. This may take a while - six months to a year - to take effect, but once established it will ripple to the entire industry.

You vote with your dollars, as obvious as that.

Old 05 May 2013   #24
The Adobe shot in foot attitude is great to change the market and stop the dysfunctional situation of only one real player in it.

Quote: Not at all an apt comparison. In this case if Adobe is "Toyota", there literally is no "Ford" or "Honda" for most of their products. It's more like if Adobe is "Toyota", you can get a Yugo or maybe a Vespa but that's about it.

Yes it is. Why do you think that Toyota or Honda appeared. All them appeared because there was initiative and a perceived market for a different solutions. Ford appeared in 1903, Toyota in 1937, the first Honda automobile was in 1963. 60 years after Ford.

It is the job of the unhappy users to breed an alternative. When Ferrucio Lamborghini was unhappy with a Ferrari and from them he got nothing for his protests he started to build sport cars too.

Old 05 May 2013   #25
@Michael - yes, just visited the site and you are right, itīs possible if you rent the full package. I guess I looked at the one application package and there you only get a yearly contract.

Old 05 May 2013   #26
I got a BIG web survey from Adobe yesterday. I was brutally honest about the cloud. They asked a lot of questions like how often do you upgrade and why do we skip versions. I told them straight up the upgrades were often not worth it: either the new features are not useful, sometimes it is less stable, and often performance is still lacking or gets worse.

We'll see if it made a difference. I also told them I and many others were exploring alternatives.

Old 05 May 2013   #27
Originally Posted by MichaelWBell: This is one of the big problems Cloud adopters are going to face.

So, imagine they've subscribed to the cloud for 3 years and they now want to move to another, more innovative and cheaper vendor...what about all the digital art they have created with the Creative Cloud software over the last 3 years?

Anytime they want to access that, they are going to have to resume a creative cloud subscription. If they had a perpetual licence, they could make the switch and keep their 'old' Adobe software on the shelf for the times they want to edit an old project.

People argue that you can export PSDs as TIFF layers and Premiere timelines as EDLs, etc, etc....or you could 'just' rebuild a project from scratch. That's just rediculous. WHY are people happy to resort to that for no good reason?

With a Cloud-only future, users are loosing so, so, so many freedoms as 'customers'. It astounds me that so many users are still actually defending Adobe's cloud-only scheme.

I don't depend on it so I can't say good good its support really is-but Maya
is able the read and export PSD files-so maybe there is a data SDK out there for other developers to add data support for PSDs. Sure-there are likely limitations.

Another aspect of being on the 'Cloud' for storage and Adobe's statement
that if you drop subscription you will still have access to your data. Somehow. Who is doing the maintenance on these systems? Who is the janitor or vigilante who protects the data of the 'unsubscribed'? for ten or twenty years? And if mistakes happens? or servers malfunction? Does anyone do 'spring cleaning' of cloud servers?

Old 05 May 2013   #28
I hate to say it, but I think Cloud pay & play for software is going to come at us from all directions, and soon. Adobe are the first big name to go this way, others will follow. The benefits are huge for the vendor, the main one I think is that it kills piracy stone dead. No production or distribution costs for the software either.
I am surprised that the older wiser heads here didn't see this coming sooner. All the signs have been there for a while, such as online gameplay, Netflix movies etc. like it or not, the future is here now.

Old 05 May 2013   #29
Originally Posted by Darrolm: It seems they talked a bit about Adobe CC at AENY.

Courtesy of Ocotothorpe

I don't really see that discussion lasting long about people being able to open/download files after your subscription ends...besides what are you going to open them with? You're going to have to down convert and back-up your data locally to use them on anything other than the CC apps. They will give you between 10-20 days, but probably not as long as a full billing cycle to back-up locally and/or down convert the files and back up locally and/or delete everything but 2 gigs before they delete it all. After that if you want to keep your stuff on their servers they're probably going to charge you a monthly storage fee that's almost as much as the CC service. The whole thing stinks worse than two day old rotten meat in the summer heat.

Old 05 May 2013   #30
Also...don't be surprised if Apple buys Corel, re-writes their Windows-Only apps so that there's feature parity with PS and they run on OSX for $199 a year or so from now. As much as people like to bash Apple it wasn't that long ago that they were the Mac truck the Adobe and Avid stepped out in front of on for video/film post-production tools.

Thread Closed share thread