RobertoOrtiz
[Forum Leader]

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
WSJ: Adobe Considering Cloud Changes in Response to Critics.

Quote:
"
Adobe Systems Inc. ADBE +1.60%will make changes to its Creative Cloud to address some concerns raised by critics of the company’s shift to delivering its creative tools online rather than in licensed editions.

“We have heard some concerns around our move to Creative Cloud,” the company said in a blog post that addresses problems photographers have with the online service and questions about file access after online subscriptions end. Adobe didn’t offer a response to customers who want to continue purchasing desktop applications other than to say, “We have no plans to change our focus on Creative Cloud.”"

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/05...nse-to-critics/
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 05-30-2013, 07:39 PM   #2
JoeyP88
PRO
portfolio
Joey
Hampton, USA

I saw these earlier today. I think the communications effort here is similar to that discussed within the WSJ story.

http://blogs.adobe.com/creativeclou...loud-an-update/

http://blogs.adobe.com/photoshopdot...-listening.html

Just bizarre.....

Old 05-30-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
PerryDS
Everything Creative

portfolio
Perry Shulak
Contractor, self-employed
Critical Fusion Inc
Edmonton, Canada

Send a message via MSN to PerryDS
I think they are entirely deaf, and have no interest in serving the interest of those who use their products. This cloud serves them and no one else. It allows them to continually charge, without the need to update anything. Smells of a big scam it does.
www.perryshulakcreative.com

Old 05-30-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
Crotalis
Expert
portfolio
Jason
Designer
upper uncton ..., USA

An Adobe quote from one of the above links:

"our job is to delight our customers with innovation,"

I find that statement hilarious.

"Photographers, particularly photo-enthusiasts, are looking for a more tailored offering that focuses on their particular needs."

Everyone, regardless of profession wants that. It's EXACTLY why the Creative suites were successful in the first place. Adobe can't possibly be this dense can they? The next quote is my favorite though:

"Some customers are not convinced that Creative Cloud is right for them and would rather continue to purchase desktop applications as before."

That's not even snipped from a large quote. It's the entire bullet point. They listed it and offered no solution to it.

I guess it's good that they are at least pretending like any of the complaints matter to them, but so far these don't fill me with a lot of hope.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:00 PM   #5
gandhics
Expert

Changsoo Eun
VFX Artist
FuseFX
USA

Let's say Toyota decided to only lease their cars.

What you should do is buying Honda or Ford or whatever other than Toyota.
If you keep crying and asking to Toyata "I ONLY want your cars nothing else!"
Why on the earth Toyota would change their plan?

Old 05-30-2013, 08:34 PM   #6
Crotalis
Expert
portfolio
Jason
Designer
upper uncton ..., USA

Quote:
What you should do is buying Honda or Ford or whatever other than Toyota.
If you keep crying and asking to Toyata "I ONLY want your cars nothing else!"
Why on the earth Toyota would change their plan?

Not at all an apt comparison. In this case if Adobe is "Toyota", there literally is no "Ford" or "Honda" for most of their products. It's more like if Adobe is "Toyota", you can get a Yugo or maybe a Vespa but that's about it.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:51 PM   #7
jumamu
Frequenter
portfolio
Juha M
Oulu, Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crotalis
Not at all an apt comparison. In this case if Adobe is "Toyota", there literally is no "Ford" or "Honda" for most of their products. It's more like if Adobe is "Toyota", you can get a Yugo or maybe a Vespa but that's about it.

I agree. There is no good alternatives for adobe products and they know it and that's why they can treat customers like they would be air/nothing.

Sure there are some alternatives, but like somebody did say something like this:
Adobe = chocolate cookies. Alternatives = it is like buying chocolate and cookies and mix them (and some times the result is also better, but not always)

Last edited by jumamu : 05-30-2013 at 09:13 PM.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:55 PM   #8
philnolan3d
LightWaver / 3D-Coater

portfolio
Phil Nolan
Generalist
Philadelphia, USA

Send a message via AIM to philnolan3d
There are some alternatives, but not many that really match up to this standard.
Sculpt first, Polygons later

Old 05-30-2013, 10:01 PM   #9
Blazer
Supreme Commander

Danny Robashkin
MAKE
Minneapolis, USA

eventually someone will come around with more innovation and better pricing and will take customers away.

Maybe not today or tomorrow, but eventually. Nothing lasts forever.....

Old 05-31-2013, 12:32 AM   #10
gandhics
Expert

Changsoo Eun
VFX Artist
FuseFX
USA

Quote:

So.. you are admitting the fact that you have no other choice.
Then why would Adobe drop their plan?

Unless people invest on "Yugo", Toyata will do whatever they want to do.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:39 AM   #11
Darrolm
Frequenter
portfolio
Darrol Moore
Character TD | Generalist
Pasadena, USA

It seems they talked a bit about Adobe CC at AENY.

Quote:
  • Adobe is currently investigating various ways to make sure your AfterEffects and PPro projects can be opened if you end your sub. #aeny
  • Some of those ways are really quite reasonable. #aeny
  • Their goal is to release AfterEffects at least twice, but hopefully three times a year. Other CC apps may vary. #aeny

Courtesy of Ocotothorpe

Old 05-31-2013, 02:43 AM   #12
PhilipeaNguyen
Frequenter
portfolio
Philip E.A. Nguyen
Philadelphia, USA

Adobe knows there aren't any really competitive products which is why they're making this move now. As someone else said eventually some company is going to actually smell the blood in the water and discover that they are a shark in this space. Until that happens there are enough Pre-CC Adobe apps in existence to support most if not all of the industry until suitable alternatives become available just because virtually none of the newest features are critical for most work. It would be cool to CinePaint evolve into a BEAST.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:54 AM   #13
JoeyP88
PRO
portfolio
Joey
Hampton, USA

Quote:

I guess it's good that they are at least pretending like any of the complaints matter to them, but so far these don't fill me with a lot of hope.

When I read these statements this morning my first thought was it sounded like they were admitting that they are in denial.

The idea that these three bullets are the only significant concerns is ludicrous. I personally think the potential for controversy when hardware synchronization becomes an issue to be their biggest hurdle.

The fact they were even willing to bullet a point for which the only solution is in direct contradiction to their hardline, and then say they are totally committed to their hardline, is just bizarre.

Why say anything at all if your not serious about doing anything about it?

It's sad really, this arrogant IT mega-culture which these big companies succumb to.

I wonder if anyone at Adobe remembers Ampex or Quantel?

"Quantel", that's a thought. In an Adobe context, would be very ironic actually.

Joey

Old 05-31-2013, 03:27 AM   #14
MichaelWBell
Michael Wentworth-Bell

portfolio
Michael Wentworth-Bell
Motion Graphics / 3D Artist
Reel Pictures
Melbourne, Australia

The only thing I believe Adobe are going to listen to is their bottom line.

If this forced cloud rental scheme is a success, Autodesk, the Foundry and all the other vendors are going to jump onboard.

I will be sticking with Master Collection CS6 and looking at alternatives. I hope that the huge enterprise customers in government, education, etc will not buy into the cloud.

It can definitely be very difficult to move to alternatives because the full suite of Adobe software really is great. That said, CS6 is definitely great enough for me to keep working with for the time being.

My Folio website
LODE Facebook page

Old 05-31-2013, 03:48 AM   #15
MichaelWBell
Michael Wentworth-Bell

portfolio
Michael Wentworth-Bell
Motion Graphics / 3D Artist
Reel Pictures
Melbourne, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer
eventually someone will come around with more innovation and better pricing and will take customers away.

Maybe not today or tomorrow, but eventually. Nothing lasts forever.....

This is one of the big problems Cloud adopters are going to face.

So, imagine they've subscribed to the cloud for 3 years and they now want to move to another, more innovative and cheaper vendor...what about all the digital art they have created with the Creative Cloud software over the last 3 years?

Anytime they want to access that, they are going to have to resume a creative cloud subscription. If they had a perpetual licence, they could make the switch and keep their 'old' Adobe software on the shelf for the times they want to edit an old project.

People argue that you can export PSDs as TIFF layers and Premiere timelines as EDLs, etc, etc....or you could 'just' rebuild a project from scratch. That's just rediculous. WHY are people happy to resort to that for no good reason?

With a Cloud-only future, users are loosing so, so, so many freedoms as 'customers'. It astounds me that so many users are still actually defending Adobe's cloud-only scheme.

My Folio website
LODE Facebook page

Thread Closed share thread