UK Gov Consultation: Should the Gov support the VFX Industry?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #1
UK Gov Consultation: Should the Gov support the VFX Industry?

As announced at Budget 2013, the government has published a consultation on options for providing further support to the visual effects industry today (Tuesday 21 May).

The visual effects industry makes a valuable economic and cultural contribution to the UK, supporting the performance of the wider digital and creative content sectors.

This consultation invites views from individuals, companies, and representative and professional bodies on options to provide further support for the visual effects industry through the existing film tax relief. This consultation also seeks views on other options to support the sector.

Responses to this consultation should be sent to HM Treasury by 2 July 2013. Once the consultation period has closed, the government will consider all responses received.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consu...ffects-industry
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 05 May 2013   #2
No. The Government needs to stay out of our business's, schools, health care and our lives. Big Government didn't work for Germany, and won't work anywhere else.

Old 05 May 2013   #3
Quote: Big Government didn't work for Germany

Please tell us more about it... If you would care to explain

Old 05 May 2013   #4
Or possibly, please don't

Old 05 May 2013   #5
Sounds like another ponzi scheme ....

b

Old 05 May 2013   #6
Interesting. As Cannes took place recently there was an article critical of the local film fund (National Film and Video Fund). Basically the gist was that attempting to ape American films meant South Africa just made similar films but worse and we should attempt to find our niche. The NFVF's mandate is to be economically stimulating and not culturally so. This was contrasted with France's system (although very lightly and without any detail).

Of course, having politicians define and devise tests for cultural relevance is always interesting. When Game Tax credits/incentives came into being in the UK recently and one of the tests was that a percentage of the game had to take place in UK. One of the game-writers I follow on Twitter wondered about starting the whole thing as a flash-back in a London bar and then shifting the action where-ever you wanted, which I thought was pretty funny.

Old 05 May 2013   #7
Originally Posted by gauranga108: No. The Government needs to stay out of our business's, schools, health care and our lives. Big Government didn't work for Germany, and won't work anywhere else.

Umm, this is for the UK, not the US. We don't really need you speaking for us from the other side of the Atlantic. Also, having been to both Germany and the US, I'd say that Germany is better off in every category you've mentioned. But hey, do please enlighten us! I assume you've spent quite a lot of time in Germany to have come to that conclusion, yes? I'm particularly curious to hear how "big government didnt work for Germany" when Germany has one of the biggest economies in the world, as well as one of the highest standards of living, not to mention top class healthcare.

On the subject of this thread, I personally do support temporary government support of the industry. Sometimes industries need a little help from the powers that be, and when that's the case, I think it's fine to introduce temporary measures to stimulate it.

Old 05 May 2013   #8
Originally Posted by leigh: I'm particularly curious to hear how "big government didnt work for Germany" when Germany has one of the biggest economies in the world, as well as one of the highest standards of living, not to mention top class healthcare.

We're not even a day and 10 posts in and you are seriously provoking a Godwyn's law eventuation!

Old 05 May 2013   #9
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: We're not even a day and 10 posts in and you are seriously provoking a Godwyn's law eventuation!

Old 05 May 2013   #10
Quote: Or possibly, please don't

as for the british government deciding to support an industry in need..
i am all for it , be it agricultural , construction or vfx and games
a healthy industry , generate jobs, who generate taxes incomes.. who are helping to cover the cost of all the services that we can take advantages of in Europe .

Old 05 May 2013   #11
Applying a little fertiliser to the soil allows us to reap greater rewards in the future. One must be very short-sighted not to understand such obvious logic.

Old 05 May 2013   #12
Considering that the UK governments of the past and present have ruined some industries, it is only right they should chip and support some too.

I suspect however that the EU will have something to say about this.

Old 05 May 2013   #13
The EU have in the past poured a lot of money into the UK in order to fund the development of the CGI industry in more impoverished areas.

Old 05 May 2013   #14
Originally Posted by leigh: Also, having been to both Germany and the US, I'd say that Germany is better off in every category you've mentioned. But hey, do please enlighten us!

Because since birth we Americans are told that it's best country there ever was, no question about it! "We're number one!" and "This is the greatest country on God's earth", seems to be the common phrases used, so it must be true, right? Heh.

Vimeo Videos
Daniel Broadway

Old 05 May 2013   #15
Originally Posted by Telemachus: Applying a little fertiliser to the soil allows us to reap greater rewards in the future. One must be very short-sighted not to understand such obvious logic.

I think a better analogy would be the relationship between a crack dealer and a junkie!

Up to 75% of the UK jobs would be lost if it wasn't for the tax subsidies...

I don't think it's too much to claim that the UK VFX industry now survives at the whim of a politician. What happens when another country offers better tax regime than the UK does (as I believe some territories in Canada are now doing)? Should the UK continually up it's tax subsidies too? How much? What happens if a future UK government decides it's fed up of giving tax breaks to highly profitable foreign companies and removes them?

Yes, I agree that tax breaks can help industries get going but when it reaches a point such that an industry can't survive without them then something is very broken indeed. They can just create instability and a real lack of long term security.

How do we fix it? To be honest I haven't the foggiest, but I'm pretty sure that simply piling on more tax breaks in a global race to the bottom won't help.

Thread Closed share thread