Unity Offers Subscription Model

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #1
Unity Offers Subscription Model

https://store.unity3d.com/products/subscription

Unity is offering a subscription model alongside their perpetual license. It will be interesting if they discontinue perpetual licenses in a year...

Update: the FAQ points out

Quote: This subscription offer ends on July 31st, at 11:59 p.m. GMT.

A limited subscription offer? Seems strange.

Other quirk--You MUST enter a 1-year contract before moving to a month-to-month model.

Last edited by oatz : 05 May 2013 at 02:27 PM.

Old 05 May 2013   #2
What's the benefit?

Old 05 May 2013   #3
since you can't really use old projects in new versions of Unity, I don't see how this would work.

Old 05 May 2013   #4
economic reason

Originally Posted by darthviper107: What's the benefit?

Just like renting vs buying.

If you buy, you get to own it. For example if ver 3.0 is enough for you to make your 2d game for ios, then just keep using it. You own it forever.

Renting is good if you just want to use it for a year.

Complete ownership $1500
Rent = $75 per month.

I don't know the upgrade rate. So if you are serious business user that always require upgrading, then rent is more cost effective I think (specially the kind of when you no longer need the software, your business is kaput anyway).

Again, just like what I mention in other thread regarding scott ross video, this rent is good for scaling up (and down) depending on situation. eg:

You might be a 10 person house. Suddenly you won a large contract / project (for example latest star wars, since disney no longer do it in house) and you need to raise developer count to 50, instead of purchasing outright and own the license 3, 4 or 5 years down the line (even if the project took 2 years) you can actually rent it for 2 years for 40 licenses, along with hiring (contract, of course) another 40 developer.

That's it. There is another good thing when it come to renting, but you might want to ask an accountant, regarding this rent vs asset and the classification. There are lots of companies which their car are not purchased outright (and 5 years down the line are sold), but instead rent, due this classification. Getting new car every 5 years helps too. So this is nothing new. Even copier machine, some decided to rent instead of buy.

I've googled 'business, rent or buy' but most results talks about property (office space). But get yourself an accountant, he can explain this better.

Old 05 May 2013   #5
Originally Posted by DanHibiki: since you can't really use old projects in new versions of Unity, I don't see how this would work.

maybe you can ask for old version download? Or maybe they just activate the license server for you, so that the current installed Unity (the one you been using) that cannot be run (shut down after contacting license server) is can be run now?

I think subs to AD software allow you to ask for older version, from what I heard.

Old 05 May 2013   #6
I guess this is mainly a license model for bigger studios who want to be able to scale the license count depending on the current workload. The limited time offer does'nt make any sense though .... Maybe just a testing balloon...

EDIT: just looked at the FAQ

You can only subscribe for 12 months/ $75 a month. You can not cancel that subscription ( you have to pay alll 12 months ). You do not own anything after a year, but had to pay $900
Does not really make any sense... except if the perpetual license prices will increase considerably ( currently $1500) , which i hope will NOT BE THE CASE ! ...

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

Last edited by spacefrog : 05 May 2013 at 05:56 PM.

Old 05 May 2013   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread