Scot Ross discusses the State of the VFX Industry at NAB (Video)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #1
Scot Ross discusses the State of the VFX Industry at NAB (Video)

One of the most notable pioneers in digital media and entertainment, Scott Ross speaks about the state of the VFX Industry and where to go from here at the NAB SuperMeet.
http://vimeo.com/66487005
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 05 May 2013   #2
Looks like the link got censored.

Old 05 May 2013   #3
Try it now

Old 05 May 2013   #4
Thanks!

This looks like a nice watch while I'm waiting on some renders.

-AJ

Old 05 May 2013   #5
This is crazy. Great post...

In my opinion,

I think the only way to make this new world of money work is to work offsite. I think everyone at one location is unneeded these days. Have a main hub but majority of the workforce can be anywhere, cut the overhead and stay in business because I don't think a lot of these challenges will change any time soon. there are so many tools and workflows that can make this happen. Its only going to get better with the idea that the horse power can be anywhere , all you need is remote access and a fast connection.

Old 05 May 2013   #6
Originally Posted by pipdixel: This is crazy. Great post...

In my opinion,

I think the only way to make this new world of money work is to work offsite. I think everyone at one location is unneeded these days. Have a main hub but majority of the workforce can be anywhere, cut the overhead and stay in business because I don't think a lot of these challenges will change any time soon. there are so many tools and workflows that can make this happen. Its only going to get better with the idea that the horse power can be anywhere , all you need is remote access and a fast connection.

Animation and modeling might be easier to do off-site.

From a look-development/lighting/compositing standpoint, even with the fastest residential connection, it would be far from efficient. The amount of data that is swapped in and out on a daily basis would make it prohibitive to work from home.

Website and Demo Reel:
http://www.sanjaychand.com

Old 05 May 2013   #7
My point is, why have ANY data except for the view of what you're doing. All data and power on a server offsite. Similar to a cloud or nvidia's grid idea. You don't need the data at home, just access to it. There are major advances happening in that area. Soon you'll just need an Android tablet to access what you'd normally be doing on a workstation.

Power and data in a central blackbox hub. Access to your workforce remote.

We're not talking VNC here, we're talking realtime seamless stream as if you're sitting in LA, but instead, you can be somewhere far far nicer in quality of life and save companies the need for a huge facility to house hundreds of people.

Still a few years out in infrastructure, but the ability happen sooner than expected.

Last edited by pipdixel : 05 May 2013 at 02:22 PM.

Old 05 May 2013   #8
Personally I think the next phase will be for CG artists to basically seek out spaces to rent or whatever, to collectively work together in, using their own hardware and work as freelancers, but collectively. Probably some people (maybe a lot) would work off-site. Eliminating some of the permanent overhead/positions of a post-house and probably a chunk of benefits will be helpful for some areas and not so much in others. This just seems like the next logical progression from where we are now in terms of saving/creating jobs here.

Last edited by PhilipeaNguyen : 05 May 2013 at 05:32 PM.

Old 05 May 2013   #9
Originally Posted by PhilipeaNguyen: Personally I think the next phase will be for CG artists to basically seek out spaces to rent or whatever, to collectively work together in, using their primarily their own hardware and work as freelancers, but collectively. Probably some people (maybe a lot) would work off-site. Eliminating some of the permanent overhead/positions of a post-house and probably a chunk of benefits will be helpful for some areas and not so much in others. This just seems like the next logical progression from where we are now in terms of saving/creating jobs here.

You know guys, I just launched an Ip development club right here in the forum... just an FYI

Old 05 May 2013   #10
the solution to the problem is have all visually effects companies adopt variable timelines and change orders, and vigorously stick to it. Most businesses in any other industry will nail you if there is any change, and those changes result in extended timeline. They have to operate with an us or them mentality, either they pay now because if they don't, we surely will later.
www.perryshulakcreative.com

Old 05 May 2013   #11
Originally Posted by pipdixel: My point is, why have ANY data except for the view of what you're doing. All data and power on a server offsite. Similar to a cloud or nvidia's grid idea. You don't need the data at home, just access to it. There are major advances happening in that area. Soon you'll just need an Android tablet to access what you'd normally be doing on a workstation.

Power and data in a central blackbox hub. Access to your workforce remote.

We're not talking VNC here, we're talking realtime seamless stream as if you're sitting in LA, but instead, you can be somewhere far far nicer in quality of life and save companies the need for a huge facility to house hundreds of people.

Still a few years out in infrastructure, but the ability happen sooner than expected.

I doubt that will even happen anytime soon.

Ive worked at multiple studios where even their internal hardwired networks couldn't keep up with the terabytes of data being continuously swapped in and out so its a long-shot that off-site artists with residential connections will be able to efficiently work.

Website and Demo Reel:
http://www.sanjaychand.com

Old 05 May 2013   #12
Originally Posted by SanjayChand: I doubt that will even happen anytime soon.

Ive worked at multiple studios where even their internal hardwired networks couldn't keep up with the terabytes of data being continuously swapped in and out so its a long-shot that off-site artists with residential connections will be able to efficiently work.

Its got to be a change in ideas of working, thats all. Rethink instead of going with the same workflow that , is not going well these days. Having started to work in a different industry recently, front end development / web and with companies that are cutting edge with this stuff, I've realized how behind the workflow ideas on production actually are.

I think its possible, but I agree its a ground up build to do so. Only takes one company thinking differently to do something like that.

Average residential connections are 12 megs a sec currently. Most of the tech I've seen is recommended at 25 meg miniums, but thats becoming pretty available.

The amount of data streamed to the user offsite would be only megs a second. Display pixels, and where the mouse is. Same way you play online games.

Last edited by pipdixel : 05 May 2013 at 04:15 PM.

Old 05 May 2013   #13
Originally Posted by SanjayChand: Ive worked at multiple studios where even their internal hardwired networks couldn't keep up with the terabytes of data being continuously swapped in and out so its a long-shot that off-site artists with residential connections will be able to efficiently work.

Add to that, the fact that most residential connections have a monthly cap. Even so called "unlimited" connections have a fair usage limit. Most of my friends are on a 100Gb maximum.
The one we have at home is 250GB a month, and I probably take chunk of that watching Netflix and YouTube.
What is the average monthly limit in the USA? Is it enough to cope with cloud type CG working environment?

Old 05 May 2013   #14
Originally Posted by pipdixel: Average residential connections are 12 megs a sec currently. Most of the tech I've seen is recommended at 25 meg miniums, but thats becoming pretty available.

Wow, you'll have to let me know who your provider is. With Brighthouse I'm lucky to get 1.5 mb downloading per second, and upload is a 10th of that.

Old 05 May 2013   #15
Well, I'd call them because I'm also in Orlando and I'm getting 60 megs and an 8 meg upload on a regular basis for 60 bucks a month with Brighthouse. We get huge upload speeds at our office downtown... 44 megs download, 27 megs upload, and its not a really special system we have in place at all. Sure we pay for it, but its all relative.

Of course, in a system I describe, its much more of a direct pipe, so it would maximize your bandwidth rather than regulate traffic like a server would. You'll never get top speed off downloads because its not giving you the bandwidth for yourself.

Anyway, its just an idea, and I know this is the direction online content is going. You won't need a computer soon to run very highend online games, just an interface for it and I don't see why what we do can't be handled in a similar fashion down the road.

Last edited by pipdixel : 05 May 2013 at 06:32 PM.

Thread Closed share thread