CGTalk > Main > News
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 05-06-2013, 10:36 PM   #61
hvanderwegen
Expert

Herbert van der wegen

Problem is that Adobe's software is becoming more complex because of all the anti-piracy measures. Add to that the time and revenue spent on keeping up with piracy, and you can tell that a relatively large chunk of your subscription is sponsoring anti-piracy development.

And pirates will find a way to circumvent it - the harder you make it for them, the more they feel it's a challenge worthy to prove their cracking prowess. And in the meantime the honest user is the innocent victim taking the flak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangerthings
I got the reasoning behind this from senior management at a one to one at a show and one of the main drivers is piracy.... I saw the figures estimated to be lost due to TPB alone and it was hundreds of millions. Of course a consistent stream of cash is involved too

Oh and the way I understand it this is going to be hard to be hacked, many components CAN call home, randomly and can shut the software down or limit it. Fecking hate piracy so bring it on.

You are misunderstanding what this is. It's not a server cloud based app and you can ignore all the nice cloud based backup / team based stuff if you want. Your IT department can just install the CC and turn off updates. And you can just update once a year if they want.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:37 PM   #62
CHRiTTeR
On the run!

Chris
Graphic designer extraordinaire
Belgium

Quote:
I got the reasoning behind this from senior management at a one to one at a show and one of the main drivers is piracy.... I saw the figures estimated to be lost due to TPB alone and it was hundreds of millions. Of course a consistent stream of cash is involved too

Oh and the way I understand it this is going to be hard to be hacked, many components CAN call home, randomly and can shut the software down or limit it. Fecking hate piracy so bring it on.

You are misunderstanding what this is. It's not a server cloud based app and you can ignore all the nice cloud based backup / team based stuff if you want. Your IT department can just install the CC and turn off updates. And you can just update once a year if they want.

Estmated figures by adobe themselves... comming from a senior managment... lol, i'd take that statement with a big truck of salt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvanderwegen
Problem is that Adobe's software is becoming more complex because of all the anti-piracy measures. Add to that the time and revenue spent on keeping up with piracy, and you can tell that a relatively large chunk of your subscription is sponsoring anti-piracy development.

And pirates will find a way to circumvent it - the harder you make it for them, the more they feel it's a challenge worthy to prove their cracking prowess. And in the meantime the honest user is the innocent victim taking the flak.

Adobe has stopped being productive quite a while ago, its more about maintaing the monopoly and getting as much cash as possible for quite some releases now.

Everyone knew this was comming. I personally just didnt expect it that soon. This might be a huge mistake by adobe, just look at all the negative comments thet got about muse being subscription only.

Im convinced a lot of ppl are going to (finally!) look for some alternatives now.

Microsoft Office also turned subscription only... sucks!

Last edited by CHRiTTeR : 05-06-2013 at 10:43 PM.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:39 PM   #63
strangerthings
Expert

A Roberts
Kingston upon Thame, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horganovski
That assumes that every kid that downloads a cracked copy of a program was going to fork out for a license otherwise. Which is nonsense.

Cheers,
Brian

Sure that was actually taken in to account...the figures were only for 20% possible buy ins, and I have known enough freelancers and companies that do it. Sucks and kills competition.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:47 PM   #64
Bullit
Lord of the posts

Time to search for alternatives or fund an alternative.

Welcome competition.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:48 PM   #65
cresshead
pro 3d scribbler

portfolio
stephen gilbert
3d designer/animator
United Kingdom

Send a message via AIM to cresshead Send a message via Yahoo to cresshead
it's low cost now enough for people to jump aboard....sticking your head in the sand and just staying with CS6 if you deal with clients that need to exchange files 'ever' then you may as well jump onboard now cos you'll simply have to at some point.

okay you say...if a project comes up that needs a newer version i'll sign up for a month and just do that...simple.

what about amendments?....Hmm okay...2 months
but monthly is SO much more expensive than yearly per month...Hmm... what to do...?

and if i need to open pitches for new work with what version of Adobe kit are you needing me to have then i look like an old dusty creative that's struggling to find enough work.

so i NEED to be on CC

enjoy the new world of Adobe if you work with other people to move files back n forth.

http://www.cresshead.com
youtube channel:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/cresshead

"zero stones - zero crates"

Old 05-06-2013, 10:49 PM   #66
cookepuss
Lord of the posts
Rob
NYC, USA

I'm disheartened by this move, but I don't think that it'll affect me much. I've been using Photoshop since v2.5. Realistically, for my needs, 90% of my workflow was set in stone 11 years ago. I'm sure that this move to the cloud would hurt me more if I was a pro photographer or did a lot of print work.

However, except for a small handful of CS-era features, I don't think that my texturing or retouching workflow would be hurt much by using a clone. It'd take some getting used to, but copycats like Corel PSPX5 are actually - in some cases - more advanced than what I was texturing with back in 2002.

IMO, for a number of CG artists, I really do feel like "true" Photoshop might be overkill. For more than a few artists, I think that clones would do. Don't get me wrong. I'm not slamming Photoshop. I love it. However, even though my needs have changed over the years, my basic workflow hasn't (much). I think I could move to a clone and live without the creature comforts if I had to.

To each his own though. Some people actually DO need every little feature in true Photoshop.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:50 PM   #67
strangerthings
Expert

A Roberts
Kingston upon Thame, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRiTTeR
Estmated figures by adobe themselves... comming from a senior managment... lol, i'd take that statement with a big truck of salt.

Jesus, you lot are bitter. Was a independent Piracy review and adobe worked out a roughy
The hosts rolled out seed figures of a load of films and tv and games etc. and we talked about lost revenues based on real buy ins and advertising etc.

They actually kept it very low. I chatted to the adobe guy and a exec from Channel4 later at the bar and he was actually pretty shocked about how many actual downloads there are in a year. Millions of Photoshop. What was interesting is the C4 guy was happy for people to dl his comedy series Friday night dinner. Got them more of a following and residual sales and another series.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:57 PM   #68
bobzilla
Next stop Willoughby.

Robert Bovasso
graphic artist
Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey, USA

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but with the subscription you get access to ALL Adobe products, not just a particular Suite.

I've been on the sub for a few months and don't mind it. I couldn't afford to upgrade my box, so this was my only choice.

Bob

Old 05-06-2013, 11:05 PM   #69
cresshead
pro 3d scribbler

portfolio
stephen gilbert
3d designer/animator
United Kingdom

good luck, hope the price doesn't go up too soon for ya!

Old 05-06-2013, 11:06 PM   #70
notlongago
Frequenter
lifelesshors
USA

Quote:
No. You chose when to upgrade.
I think a lot of you guys are not getting you can turn off all the cloud stuff. And just have the installs and run local... Just pings the server once a month.

I do not think that you are getting it either. This is generally called shooting yourself in the foot. This is a complicated problem with social/technical and even political complications and has nothing to do with "just pinging it". The phrases like "just ping it once a month" is just telling me that the person who says such thing has no foresight about future complications of such actions.

Just ping it, man I love it. I am pinging it all day, it is such a good feeling. Soon you will be renting your life, and you will just ping all day to keep it alive and kicking. I cannot even say get a life to you because you will just be happy with the idea of "rent a life".

Last edited by notlongago : 05-06-2013 at 11:12 PM.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:07 PM   #71
bobzilla
Next stop Willoughby.

Robert Bovasso
graphic artist
Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey, USA

I upgraded for $30/month for a year. I think it goes to $60 or $70 after that.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:10 PM   #72
hvanderwegen
Expert

Herbert van der wegen

Depending on your work and the final output, you may not need Adobe products at all.

Good alternatives exist for Premiere, Photoshop (pure image editing), Illustrator, Dreamweaver, InDesign, Fireworks, and Acrobat. Flash is becoming more marginalized these days. After Effects, however, stands on its own: no real alternative available. Arguably the alternatives for Premiere, Dreamweaver, Fireworks and Illustrator do a better job.

So, unless your work happens to be tied into After Effects or your workflow/pipeline demands native Adobe source editing, great (and affordable) alternatives do exist, you know.

Your choice. My clients don't care how I managed the job, as long as the final result speaks for itself. Then again, as a freelancer I have that choice - others may not.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:15 PM   #73
cresshead
pro 3d scribbler

portfolio
stephen gilbert
3d designer/animator
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvanderwegen
Depending on your work and the final output, you may not need Adobe products at all.

Good alternatives exist for Premiere, Photoshop (pure image editing), Illustrator, Dreamweaver, InDesign, Fireworks, and Acrobat. Flash is becoming more marginalized these days. After Effects, however, stands on its own: no real alternative available. Arguably the alternatives for Premiere, Dreamweaver, Fireworks and Illustrator do a better job.

So, unless your work happens to be tied into After Effects or your workflow/pipeline demands native Adobe source editing, great (and affordable) alternatives do exist, you know.

Your choice. My clients don't care how I managed the job, as long as the final result speaks for itself. Then again, as a freelancer I have that choice - others may not.

If you are working on your own and only hand out final output to say pdf, video or images then yeh you're fine.

If however you work with other clients who give you say an indesign file to work on or a photoshop CC only compatible file...how do you start that conversation on the phone...can you downgrade the file so i can work on it please as i'm so old hat that i'm stuck on the old pre CC version cos i'm to poor.....

and saying i don't have the adobe apps...closes so many doors....right in your face.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:34 PM   #74
hvanderwegen
Expert

Herbert van der wegen

True enough. If the quality of your work outshines others' work, though, it might not be an issue.

But working with other people does indeed become very difficult, since Adobe software is the base line.

I work for myself and create online games, websites, the odd 3d job - so far no issues. I do realize I am probably the exception to the rule :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cresshead
If you are working on your own and only hand out final output to say pdf, video or images then yeh you're fine.

If however you work with other clients who give you say an indesign file to work on or a photoshop CC only compatible file...how do you start that conversation on the phone...can you downgrade the file so i can work on it please as i'm so old hat that i'm stuck on the old pre CC version cos i'm to poor.....

and saying i don't have the adobe apps...closes so many doors....right in your face.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:54 PM   #75
Shadowlich
Blender Head
portfolio
Andrei Belean
USA

This is totally insane and random on adobes part.

Thread Closed share thread