Adobe Discontinues Standalone Applications, Moves to Subscription Only Model

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #46
Well if enough individuals/companies agree it's not how to do business and ignore subscribing the stocks will take a hit until they realize it wasn't the right decision. I think there is a transition to cloud coming as a whole, just ripping out the individual componet cold turkey isn't how to do it. If the users gradually migrate as they feel is right to where adobe could see the majority of users were in the cloud already it would of made sense to do such a move.

Old 05 May 2013   #47
Well, the first step is to stop buying Adobe software. However, seeing just about everyone depends on it in some way or other in their production workflows, I don't see that happening.

Old 05 May 2013   #48
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz: I got some Questions:

Will I have to do software upgrades mid projects?
Will I have to upgrade my Equipment more often?
How about legacy support for files and plugins?
How long will this low price will continue?
How does this online verification works? What I have machine that I want to be off the grid?
What happens in secure environments? (like say, most Agencies in the DOD)
I am asuming that Adobe IS NOT data mining my machine or the usage of its apps...right?

No. You chose when to upgrade.
Not unless the spec requires it.
Not sure about the files. But plugins only change if the SDK does. Might persuade the plug in devs to keep current.
Once a month at the moment. It seems to be rolling... So if you loose Internet for a month should be ok.
He mentioned that in the keynote. There will be enterprise solutions - my guess is a admin controlled sever app. Enterprise / client side thing
Last question whoooo knows, but I have nothing showing in my logs as accessing the apps other than Helps and the occasional ping to the reg server.

I think a lot of you guys are not getting you can turn off all the cloud stuff. And just have the installs and run local... Just pings the server once a month.

Old 05 May 2013   #49
I know I will be steering clear of this for as long as possible.... probably only giving in when we have a compatibility issue.

Seeing the "new features" at NAB - roto brush and Cinema 4D Lite really doesn't excite me.

BTW, the guy that said he hasn't upgraded since CS2 and now he is on subscription and loving it sounds a bit crazy to me. So you bought a $1,500 package and haven't needed to upgrade for 8 years (which ends up being $15/month) is now happy he is paying $40? And that is probably the intro price.

Hopefully a bunch of people just keep using what they have for a year and Adobe realizes that trying to trick people into paying them more for less is not a good idea.

Old 05 May 2013   #50
re subscription models

look at what autodesk did:
subs we're 50% the price of manual upgrades per version when they started and you also got a decent halfway thru updates on subs too. Quite tempting to jump aboard.

spin on a few years....subs went up 42% last summer for 3dsmax in the UK and in march this year they went up again, this time another 10%...that made them as expensive as the older manual updates that are no longer available.

then autodesk decided to make jumping back aboard subs 70% (plus vat) of the RRp of 3dsmax just to scare you enough not to leave.

don't think for 1 second this low entry point will remain for adobe subscriptions...you're in a honeymoon period to snare as many people as possible.

then they'll have you and will ramp up the cost once the user base is high enough.

http://www.cresshead.com
youtube channel:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/cresshead

"zero stones - zero crates"

Old 05 May 2013   #51
Originally Posted by hvanderwegen: Well, the first step is to stop buying Adobe software. However, seeing just about everyone depends on it in some way or other in their production workflows, I don't see that happening.

Well if we are already using a standalone package there isn't really a way they can force us to give them a dime. I know I won't be updating until I have one heck of a reason to unless they lower the cost of subscription or I truelly need a new feature/compatiblity.

Old 05 May 2013   #52
+1 I concur. Only makes sense.

Originally Posted by cresshead: re subscription models

look at what autodesk did:
subs we're 50% the price of manual upgrades per version when they started and you also got a decent halfway thru updates on subs too. Quite tempting to jump aboard.

spin on a few years....subs went up 42% last summer for 3dsmax in the UK and in march this year they went up again, this time another 10%...that made them as expensive as the older manual updates that are no longer available.

then autodesk decided to make jumping back aboard subs 70% (plus vat) of the RRp of 3dsmax just to scare you enough not to leave.

don't think for 1 second this low entry point will remain for adobe subscriptions...you're in a honeymoon period to snare as many people as possible.

then they'll have you and will ramp up the cost once the user base is high enough.

Old 05 May 2013   #53
Originally Posted by Crotalis: This move isn't about those companies/individuals and it's not going to affect piracy ONE ... TINY ... BIT. It is about Adobe wanting a more consistent revenue stream. Period.

What it WILL do is make things harder for those of us who are using the software legally. For example, where I work (art department for a global power/engineering company), we were told a while ago that anything cloud related would be deleted from our systems and that any subsequent attempts to install would be dealt with severely. I now have to go to my manager and explain to him that if we want to keep the department current we HAVE to convince the higher-ups to use the cloud.

I got the reasoning behind this from senior management at a show seminar and one of the main drivers is piracy.... I saw the figures estimated to be lost due to TPB alone and it was hundreds of millions. Of course a consistent stream of cash is involved too

Oh and the way I understand it this is going to be hard to be hacked, many components CAN call home, randomly and can shut the software down or limit it. Fecking hate piracy so bring it on.

You are misunderstanding what this is. It's not a server cloud based app and you can ignore all the nice cloud based backup / team based stuff if you want. Your IT department can just install the CC and turn off updates. And you can just update once a year if they want.

Last edited by strangerthings : 05 May 2013 at 10:53 PM.

Old 05 May 2013   #54
Originally Posted by strangerthings: I got the reasoning behind this from senior management at a one to one at a show and one of the main drivers is piracy.... I saw the figures estimated to be lost due to TPB alone and it was hundreds of millions. Of course a consistent stream of cash is involved too

Oh and the way I understand it this is going to be hard to be hacked, many components CAN call home, randomly and can shut the software down or limit it. Fecking hate piracy so bring it on.

You are misunderstanding what this is. It's not a server cloud based app and you can ignore all the nice cloud based backup / team based stuff if you want. Your IT department can just install the CC and turn off updates. And you can just update once a year if they want.

problem number 1 when calculating lost revenue from piracy:
those who pirate will never be your customer...they'll never give you a dime, they want/use stolen software and will just go elsewhere or download the old 'classic' versions. you will not gain revenue by hurting your actual customers.

Old 05 May 2013   #55
Originally Posted by TeeJayEllis: As far as I can see, it's 27 a month for the Master Collection. One job and I've paid for it for a year.

Seems like I'm the only one in the world who feels that way.

Yeah, until they jack the price up at the beginning of every year.

A lot of people don't realize to get the lower price you have to sign up for a yearly contract. If you only need the software for a month or so then they make you pay through the nose.

Old 05 May 2013   #56
Originally Posted by TeeJayEllis: Um, I feel stupid asking but what's the big deal?

As far as I can see, it's 27 a month for the Master Collection. One job and I've paid for it for a year.

Seems like I'm the only one in the world who feels that way.

Nope my point exactly too, it fantastic for small companies and freelancers.

Hell you can just rent it for 1 month... More money... But if you get a job that needs it.. 70 and you are good to go...stupid amount of software for the money!

Old 05 May 2013   #57
Originally Posted by roofoo: Yeah, until they jack the price up at the beginning of every year.

A lot of people don't realize to get the lower price you have to sign up for a yearly contract. If you only need the software for a month or so then they make you pay through the nose.

Seriously..are you lot on McWages? It's 2-3 hours work - 5 for the monthly single... Max.
And you USAers are getting a way better deal than us in Europe.

I understand that a lot of people on want say PS and AE poss premiere and the rest is a waste. But damn they all tie in nicely... Which is adobes worst problem... They have no complete competitors in an any market.

Old 05 May 2013   #58
THE sticking point here is that some people WILL go on CC as it's currently well priced to lure people aboard and if you have to deal with their files in the future...can you?....

Or at that point in time will you HAVE to go onto Creative Cloud just to get work done.

This will work long term for Adobe, they'll take the flak and everyone will have to suck it up at some point and jump aboard.

Old 05 May 2013   #59
Originally Posted by strangerthings: I got the reasoning behind this from senior management at a one to one at a show and one of the main drivers is piracy.... I saw the figures estimated to be lost due to TPB alone and it was hundreds of millions. .

That assumes that every kid that downloads a cracked copy of a program was going to fork out for a license otherwise. Which is nonsense.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 05 May 2013   #60
Good bye adobe...

Time for a new player to grab the opportunity and take advantage of this really bad move from adobe and step up.

Thread Closed share thread