Adobe Discontinues Standalone Applications, Moves to Subscription Only Model

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #31
Originally Posted by Digit: Wouldnt it be awesome if there was a true competitor to Photoshop? Whats the closest thing? There must be a market for it.

You would have to invest in a number of apps to recreate the exact same or better functionality:

- image editing: Photoline (better layer system, better layer masking system)
- Corel Painter for better digital painting
- 3dCoat/Mudbox/BodyPaint better 3d painting
- substance designer: far better texture creation

With Photoline and 3dCoat it would still be less expensive than the CC thing.

I saw this coming last year, and I switched for all of my image editing to Photoline 8 months ago. Never regretted it.

Old 05 May 2013   #32
I hear ya on finding alternatives being slim, I have been used to after effects for years and love it as a tool even if I don't fancy the business decision they made. Also after digging a bit I may have jumped the gun on indidual workstation deployments in a studio or company. From the looks of the adobe FAQ they have special packages for mass deployments that would use the " existing Adobe Licensing Website (LWS) infrastructure". I am taking that as meaning that they could still be activated and full though working independent from external networking.

I suppose my main issue is commitment given many of us don't have money to shell out each year with the constant updates (nor reason to). My hunch is that this will be a blow to the company similar to when netflix decided to boost subscription costs. Nearly every artist I know is quite content with the current package so there just won't be any more upgrades until either they change the marketing plan or I guess when windows 9000 no longer supports it.

Old 05 May 2013   #33
EDIT: The following opinion has been reversed, read later post!

Um, I feel stupid asking but what's the big deal?

I've been on Creative Cloud since January having not bought an Adobe box since Design Premium CS2, and I love it. I pay 27 a month for access to every app. Granted I only use 3 of them but still, it would take me over 4 years of subscribing to pay the same as it cost me to buy the boxed product. That doesn't account for upgrades either.

As for the ownership thing... meh, I 'rent' my music and movies, heck I don't even 'own' my car (or house for that matter)! It really doesn't bother me.

Yeah it's a greedy move but hey, business is business, nothing new there.

As far as I can see, it's 27 a month for the Master Collection. One job and I've paid for it for a year.

Seems like I'm the only one in the world who feels that way.

Last edited by TeeJayEllis : 05 May 2013 at 09:57 AM.

Old 05 May 2013   #34
It's not an issue of the service or owning, it's an issue of not having a choice.

Old 05 May 2013   #35
Can I use it on my mac at work and my PC at home without having to pay anything extra?

Old 05 May 2013   #36
Originally Posted by Venkman: Can I use it on my mac at work and my PC at home without having to pay anything extra?

If it is like a current CS6 licence I have you get to have 2 active copies for each serial/licence.

Old 05 May 2013   #37
Originally Posted by Venkman: Can I use it on my mac at work and my PC at home without having to pay anything extra?

Yes.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4896815

Which, from experience, you couldn't do with the boxed version. It was PC OR MAC.

Old 05 May 2013   #38
Talking

Originally Posted by Digit: Wouldnt it be awesome if there was a true competitor to Photoshop? Whats the closest thing? There must be a market for it.

Hey you work at Pixar, surely you'd know.

Personally I signed up for this recently. And sold my boxed cs5 on a deal ( not even sure if that's allowed - was the nab deal not an upgrade...)

It only currently needs to connect once a month to stay activated. They said there are other options for that coming.

For me it's fantastic even at full price of 50 a month. Whats that a few hours work! But I suppose you have to have need of a lot of the software. I use 80% of it as an independent.

I know why they've done it. Piracy is nuts with adobe stuff so who can blame them. I have worked recently at companies that have 1 boxed copy of cs master and its installed on 15 machines. I thought it was shocking so I left. I find it hard to find work because scum companies like that CAN undercut by not actually buying software... Hell they were even running hackintoshes and pirate windows on self builds. Also running Nuke, max and maya all hacked...

What do you reckon should I shop them in? All the staff bar the bosses are freelance and they hate the guys running it too.

Old 05 May 2013   #39
Brian: thank you for your words, it really make me feel better. I will keep that in my mind. But like i said, now i probably will need a break ( i have done work for 14h now without breaks, because i am a little bit workaholic) - so, sleep time. PS. I will call to my psychiatrist today (in the morning).

Old 05 May 2013   #40
I know why they've done it. Piracy is nuts with adobe stuff so who can blame them. I have worked recently at companies that have 1 boxed copy of cs master and its installed on 15 machines. I thought it was shocking so I left. I find it hard to find work because scum companies like that CAN undercut by not actually buying software... Hell they were even running hackintoshes and pirate windows on self builds. Also running Nuke, max and maya all hacked...

This move isn't about those companies/individuals and it's not going to affect piracy ONE ... TINY ... BIT. It is about Adobe wanting a more consistent revenue stream. Period.

What it WILL do is make things harder for those of us who are using the software legally. For example, where I work (art department for a global power/engineering company), we were told a while ago that anything cloud related would be deleted from our systems and that any subsequent attempts to install would be dealt with severely. I now have to go to my manager and explain to him that if we want to keep the department current we HAVE to convince the higher-ups to use the cloud.

Old 05 May 2013   #41
Alright a little clarification:

Online connection requirement:

"You will need to be online when you install and license your software. If you have an annual membership, you'll be asked to connect to the web to validate your software licenses every 30 days. However, you'll be able to use products for 180 days even if you're offline."

so you can still use it offline most of the time with routine verifications about twice a year. My main other concern is as mentioned with plug-ins, if you are investing in hundreds of dollars in additional plugins and they are no longer using versions (cs4,5,etc). Are those plugins just going to keep infiinitely being compatible with the new model?

Old 05 May 2013   #42
I got some Questions:
  • Will I have to do software upgrades mid projects?
  • Will I have to upgrade my Equipment more often?
  • How about legacy support for files and plugins?
  • How long will this low price will continue?
  • How does this online verification works? What if I have machine that I want to be off the grid?
  • What happens in secure environments? (like say, most Agencies in the DOD)
  • I am asuming that Adobe IS NOT data mining my machine or the usage of its apps...right?
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 05 May 2013 at 09:53 PM.

Old 05 May 2013   #43
Another thought is if this works for Adobe it will certainly be a sort of flagship for other companies to follow suit in the business model to where every package expects users to do subscriptions.

Old 05 May 2013   #44
Originally Posted by Andrewty07: Another thought is if this works for Adobe it will certainly be a sort of flagship for other companies to follow suit in the business model to where every package expects users to do subscriptions.

That is what I am afraid of.
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 05 May 2013   #45
It's nice to see that so many users here and elsewhere are comforted by the knowledge that a corporation is only altering its sales model so it can increase profits and please Wall Street (says so right in the article). This has exactly squat to do with piracy. That will always be around.

Adobe must know the vast majority of their customers are companies who won't bat an eye at this new model, so I doubt that a bottom-up revolt would do much good here. But I'd be first in line to support one.

Thread Closed share thread