Adobe Discontinues Standalone Applications, Moves to Subscription Only Model

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by ragdoll: lol! i lyk diz.

Make me smile a little bit, but i guess that isn't going to change the way how adobe will service their loyal customers. I know that if somebody want to use pirated software, it can't be stopped - somebody always finds a way to make it work without internet connection. Maybe i have to start use pirated softwares? O_o

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by Horganovski: If this is a serious comment, I strongly urge you to talk to someone about your state of mind. A friend, a family member, even some free hotline if you have to. Get help in any manner you can. No software issue is worth considering this for.

I highly agree, even though this business decision is a bit rough it doesn't mean it can hold an artist back. We all still "own" up until CS6 which is already an immensely powerful set of tools, the same has been for max or maya where every update the added changes are scarcely worth the cost. Now Adobe has made this even more so for me, where I am very capable of accomplishing anything and everything on the current set of tools. With this new commitment to toss them money monthly to get the new tools, they raise the bar for the development and improvents they MUST add to the package to survive. I figure most artists feel the same way as we have no reason to buy into an update or subscription if we can already do our tasks on the current toolset we use.

If I am going to bother subscribing, at least as of right now with my current income and lifestyle they would need insanely awesome updates for me to even consider. I know they are implementing 3d to AE which is nice though for me I don't have a need for that, it feels more an avenue to let 2d artist branch into 3d lightly.

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by Horganovski: If this is a serious comment, I strongly urge you to talk to someone about your state of mind. A friend, a family member, even some free hotline if you have to. Get help in any manner you can. No software issue is worth considering this for.

I have been in mental hospital before, but i didn't like it. I got 10kg more weight at there and now i am eating drugs everyday but they do not work. The life was OK - until now. I f*ckin hate the way adobe treats their customers. Maybe it is time to go sleep and thing everything again in the morning, maybe it will clear my mind. I have one way to go: i can always stop my freelance work and start to get money from my country, that's the easiest way, because i don't wan't softwares own me, i wan't own things what i own.

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by jumamu: Make me smile a little bit, but i guess that isn't going to change the way how adobe will service their loyal customers. I know that if somebody want to use pirated software, it can't be stopped - somebody always finds a way to make it work without internet connection. Maybe i have to start use pirated softwares? O_o

DRM and piracy certainly has to be a factor in the decision to push the cloud, our whole social ecosystem worldwide is shifting against it with actions like the various acts against piracy CIPA, PIPA, CISPA and what not. At least they can never rule or regulate a pencil and sketchbook.

05 May 2013
Seriously....

How is this going to work with plugins? Does your get upgraded one day and your plugin no longer works? What a nice surprise to get on the last day of a project.

What happens when I want to load a 2 year old project with an old legacy plugin that no longer works in the current version?

How do I save a file to be opened in CS5 from CC?

Right now an upgrade of Production Premium costs me $360/year. Under the new pricing scheme it will cost either $600 or $840 a year. And I can only assume that will be for even less new feature than the practically nothing we get these days.

I just don't understand how any of this is going to work.....

05 May 2013
I think the internet connection issue is the least of the problems here. This is just so wrong on so many levels. It's nothing but greed on Adobe's part. People weren't upgrading enough, so they start charging regular fees to all those people who can't live without our product. It's practically extortion - a small time user or freelance will have no choice but to upgrade if associates or clients use newer versions. It's as if you bought a car 2 years ago with cash, and the dealer now says you can only keep driving it if you pay for a lease plan (which they can revoke or modify at any time). How many people do you think would go along with that?

What if you can't run the latest version because of hardware limitations? Will they force you to download it? How many versions back will be available to cloud customers? What happens when the licensing servers are hacked (like Sony was that time) or go down and you have a deadline?

I'd be willing to bet they will be uploading metrics info and will know exactly how you work and perhaps (puts tinfoil hat on) even what is in your files. I'd guess that your actual work files will still be stored locally on your machine, but who knows. Everyone seems to be in bed with the NSA these days, so the idea that they may want to access the subject matter of your files is not that outrageous.

Last edited by Artbot : 05 May 2013 at 09:06 PM.

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by Andrewty07: At least they can never rule or regulate a pencil and sketchbook.
Do you see this as a valid route to supporting you and your family in the current workforce?

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by jumamu: I have been in mental hospital before, but i didn't like it. I got 10kg more weight at there and now i am eating drugs everyday but they do not work. The life was OK - until now. I f*ckin hate the way adobe treats their customers. Maybe it is time to go sleep and thing everything again in the morning, maybe it will clear my mind.

I would never suggest you simply 'get over it' or tell you that your concerns are silly, and really this kind of forum is not the place for this kind of issue but yes maybe things will look better if you take a step back, and try to focus on something else for a while or simply get some rest. I'm lucky that I've never been in a mental hospital but I have had dark times in my own life, as I'm sure many others have.
All I can say is that things do get better if you take positive steps, even though that can be the hardest thing in the world sometimes. Seriously, try to reach out to someone you know and trust and try to unburden yourself. Easy for me to say I know, but if I've learned anything in this life it's that things that once seemed like major obstacles and issues really aren't so critical with the benefit of hindsight. The important thing is giving yourself a break, and the time to achieve that hindsight.

Cheers,
Brian

05 May 2013
Well I suppose if everyone bunkers down onto the current version and they don't get those subscriptions they are vying for they will have to revert the model. I think if they really wanted to push the could and kept the customer in mind they should of done both a standalone and cloud but given discount/promotion toward cloud purchase. The online portion is intersting since there are issues such as controlling IPS (NDAs) and guarding internal networking from virus/hacking. I wouldn't want workstaions online if they were solely for production for such reasons.

05 May 2013

I am not sure if it helps, but all are beign affected by this.

YOU ARE NOT ALONE.

Life is much more than software.
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by Artbot: Do you see this as a valid route to supporting you and your family in the current workforce?

hah not remotely, it was mostly sarcasim with how far the overhand seems to be seeking out control of our technological world.

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by Andrewty07: DRM and piracy certainly has to be a factor in the decision to push the cloud, our whole social ecosystem worldwide is shifting against it with actions like the various acts against piracy CIPA, PIPA, CISPA and what not. At least they can never rule or regulate a pencil and sketchbook.

Yes they can...
They can claim that they can use your artwork without your permission.
At least that is what they are trying to do.

That is the whole point of the orphan works bill corporations are pushing.
They want to own the rights of the artworks/pictures you have created.

They tried that stunt in the US and it failed in a bad way, but they got their way in the UK
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22337406

Anyway, that is ANOTHER topic.

05 May 2013
haha blimey Roboerto you are a wiz of depressing news though useful to know. What I mean is if we all live under rocks and never share our artwork outside of our own gaze we can be safe. Maybe artists around the world just need to toss that money that usually goes toward software and equipment each year into a mass pool to build our own utopian creative haven.

05 May 2013
Wouldnt it be awesome if there was a true competitor to Photoshop? Whats the closest thing? There must be a market for it.

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by Andrewty07: haha blimey Roboerto you are a wiz of depressing news though useful to know. What I mean is if we all live under rocks and never share our artwork outside of our own gaze we can be safe. Maybe artists around the world just need to toss that money that usually goes toward software and equipment each year into a mass pool to build our own utopian creative haven.

My friend I know...This crap depressed the hell out of me too.

But as I often say,

"you can cover the sun with your hands, but don't pretend it is not there".

Thank God for Watermarking and US IP law.
Here in the US we fought the Oprhan Works act 5 years ago and we won.
But the sneaky bastards, are now trying a back door using another country.
We just need to regroup, join our brothers in the UK and complain loudly ..

Anyway, guys, we are all beign attacked across the boardas an art community from all directions.
The only thing we got, and I know this is going to sound corny as heck, is each other.
Really. We need to start organizing as artists and fight this sort of crap.

We to send a loud message to ADOBE that we are not happy AT ALL with this move.

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 05 May 2013 at 09:29 PM.

Thread Closed share thread