For the 1st time ever panoramic 360 degree digital painting technique

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #1
For the 1st time ever panoramic 360 degree digital painting technique

My dear friends!
There is a Mercenaries Challenge 360 degree panoramic 2d illustration
My own foundation as a 1st in the world digital artist using the digital painting technique based on the principles of panoramic photo image.
The Cinematic trailer
There is a interactive virtual tour for mine panoramic illustration.

I hope now your immersion in this sad and tragic history will be complete. iPhone and iPad are welcome!

I would like to say a few words about the prospects of this dirrection of digital painted illustration. I belive that digital painting technique I found can be very useful at various stages of production, both in movies and games.

The 2d artists can make a full 360 degree images(draft, sketchy or finished), then show them to their directors and on early stage of production make them become a part of future 3d-rendered scene. So director can see the scene in panoramic space(both horizontal and vertical axis) before it was rendered. This can greatly help in deciding whether or not to make this scene in 3D or not.

The iPhones and iPad are already become a part of our professional life. We often use them for our presentations to investors or other target audience. This technique can be good for the presentation too, cause u show to investors not flat image, but u make them a part of the scene, where their eyes can move freely.

This technique still needs improvement, but already now it is possible to estimate it`s potential for the all digital art industry!

Old 05 May 2013   #2
Nice work.

However, nothing new under the sun: except for the word "Digital", this technique was a very popular one in the 18th century, and was originally invented by Robert Barker, an Irish painter.

As it turns out, the photo panoramas were based on the original idea of using painted ones, and replaced those.

See:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panorama

Full circle! :-)

Last edited by hvanderwegen : 05 May 2013 at 11:48 PM.

Old 05 May 2013   #3
How do you think matte paintings for CG films like Kungfu Panda or Life of Pi are made? This is an expectation of modern cg matte painters, nothing new at all. I mean I even think of a show like the recent Peter Pan that toured the US, which has a full panoramic projected screen on the stage on the round so that form any angle the projected images served as backdrop of the scene. Granted that was made with CG more than traditional paint, but compositing, painting touch ups and such would all still apply.

Not sure what your method for doing this is, but in Classical animation at VFS we ever learned how to do the curved perspective for drawing a looping panoramic environment on paper, no CG at all.

Worlds first is a sad way to diminish an otherwise nicely done painting.

Old 05 May 2013   #4
Of course u`re right, men.
Panorama image principles(not a classical but photoimages like) a used in matte and 3d rendered scenes already, furthermore panorama as it self exist for a long time. The point for me,is not "to invent a bike twice", but to develop a very simple method(number of steps) for quickly creating drawing panoramic digital illustrations by using minimum of additional software.

The main idea is make it usable on different levels(sketch, draft, finished), make it easy for applying by the artist of the different professional level(skill), and make it process fast.

The stage of development which is my method is in this moment are already allows u to do a well rendered digital painted panoramic pieces(not finished of course) for a 1 working day.

P.S.: I am believe what I`am not alone on this field of interest and if some one of u have an information(links) about the artist or their tutorials in which presented the methods of creating an panoramic illustrations, I would be grateful if u share it with me.

Last edited by ArtemyMaslov : 05 May 2013 at 12:15 PM.

Old 05 May 2013   #5
Projection painting and surface painting on the inside of a sphere or cylinder in an app like BP, Modo, Mari etc etc. Setup takes, well minutes to be fair.

I'd assume, that with photoshop's more recent 3d painting you could paint inside a sphere there too.

Old 05 May 2013   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread