The Guardian: World War Z: the most expensive disaster of all time (400 M!)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #16
unfortunately things arent like they were many years ago when it comes to a films "success". and i put that in parenthesis because the entire meaning of success has changed. its no longer about how good the film is, its about how a studio can engineer profits through media and manipulation. These budgets are beyond ridiculous. When are we going to see the first Billion dollar film? I bet it will be something "groundbreaking" and a "must see summer blockbuster". In the meantime the productions will be stretched inversely, longer hours, more better faster and cheaper. And when the artists finally break and wont put up with it, Im sure they'll be replaced with artificial intelligence creating entire movies by computer, dozens at once, with no human artistic input. Im sure the audiences will be robots.

The entire industry operates like the stock market, which wildly fluctuates based on fear and assumptions. Ive watched the stockmarket dip into scary places based on speculation. this is where were at. pump more money and keep doing it over and over until its a heated mess and lets hope for the best. Instead of creating suspense because we dont have money to make the shark look real, we create 200 CG sharks, put lasers on their heads and make it in 3d.

I cannot say which way the industry will go anymore because i think the industry is gone. When we decide a movie sucks and globally abandon it before it hits the screen i think weve hit a bend in the road. Look, deconstructing a production and reworking it based on predicted outcome isn't anything new (eric stolz and back to the future for example) but when hundreds of millions are spent doing it.. there is something seriously wrong.

sorry for the rant, but one of the best movies ive ever seen in my life had no CG and cost about 21 million (2013 dollars).

God- "nietzsche is dead"

Old 05 May 2013   #17
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: I don't have the time to do that with every movie. If you look at the track record of the people involved you usually have a pretty good idea what to expect. Lindledof hasn't done anything that I haven't hated and the trailer for the movie shows that it has nothing whatsoever to do with the book aside from sharing the same name.

Well that's a slightly different thing though isn't it. Whether it looks like your cup of tea or not is entirely up to you.

My point was more that this article comes across to me as schadenfreude masquerading as journalism. The guy hasn't seen the film, he's reporting on the negative hype which wouldn't exist if people like him weren't generating it.

Old 05 May 2013   #18
If he's pulling it all out of his ass thats one thing. But if there is substance to the financial issue that is another.

I remember the big stink about Waterworld which happened to have all its sets destroyed in a hurricane. An 'act-of-god' (if you're so inclined). So a big portion of it's cost was of a more 'innocent victim' nature than WWZ. But still big stinks were still made of it (it didn't do so well at the box office ta boot) because of the production costs anyway.

Apocolypse Now same thing-and it was an epic film!

And the Internet wasn't hardly a factor with either film's 'media bashing'.
But they got bashed anyway.

Side note: I was just thinking the best way they could have done WWZ was more like the book-a bunch or short films or even animations (Babel or even Heavy Metal come to mind).

Old 05 May 2013   #19
Originally Posted by LordMcGoat: John Carter you say?

What ever happened to watching a film before passing judgement?

whatever happened to recognising the 'writing on the wall'

Old 05 May 2013   #20
i think they made a mistake with the number. it needs to make 400 millions to make its budget back. now they changed it to 400 million budget.

Old 05 May 2013   #21
Originally Posted by flipnap: ...one of the best movies I've ever seen in my life had no CG and cost about 21 million (2013 dollars).

I'm curious, what movie?

Old 05 May 2013   #22
*shrug* To be honest, regardless of how well it does or doesn't stack up against the book, I think the movie looks fun from the trailers. :P

Old 05 May 2013   #23
Originally Posted by Geta-Ve: *shrug* To be honest, regardless of how well it does or doesn't stack up against the book, I think the movie looks fun from the trailers. :P

I just want to see all those zombies and how the actors outrun them. A previous poster mentioned John Carter. I actually enjoyed that film.

Old 05 May 2013   #24
Hey, $400,000,000.00 sounds about right. I mean how else is Brad going to pay for Angelina and all them young uns.

Old 05 May 2013   #25

Yeah the film business is in terrible shape. I think there's a glut of blockbuster films, especially over budget sequels, and prequels. There's no innovation or the same type of passion used to drive the industry. I long for the days when everyone was unanimous about a films success. Hollywood is almost done.

Last edited by doubledex : 05 May 2013 at 07:46 PM.

Old 05 May 2013   #26
Originally Posted by LordMcGoat: John Carter you say?

What ever happened to watching a film before passing judgement?

I thought John Carter was atrocious. I wish I hadn't watched that film before passing judgment.

Honestly, I think spending $400m on a film is downright obscene.

Old 06 June 2013   #27
Has anyone seen World War Z yet? It comes to Ireland on the 21st, so I'm assuming it is already showing in USA and Australia cinemas. Any feedback on the movie?

Old 06 June 2013   #28
Early reviews are saying it's not bad. I think it still won't be all that successful but it won't do as bad as people were expecting

Old 06 June 2013   #29
That's a good omen then. The cinema trailers for it are starting to stir up interest here. Most of my friends who like zombie movies are all keen to go and see it.

Old 06 June 2013   #30
I got to see the World War Z premiere on Tuesday. My Dad was in photographing it for the newspaper and had some comp tickets, so I went with him.
I enjoyed the movie, enough so that I will be going to see it again on Sunday with some of my friends.

The "CG look" issue we discussed here earlier were not too noticable because the scenes (mass climbing up the wall etc.) were cut very short, giving little time for the viewer to register any flaws.

Thread Closed share thread