Tangled-Universe
Frequenter
portfolio
Martin Huisman
Rotterdam, Netherlands

Send a message via MSN to Tangled-Universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlstudio

Be aware that's not something like you can convince or not people about. As soon as I saw the limitation of 800x600 I did not even bothered to follow the product page link, as many others here probably.

cheers

Well that's a bit of a shame and passed/missed opportunity...despite the resolution limitation there are barely functional limitations so it will allow you to truly explore the software's functionality and possibilities.

Why is 800x600 such a huge issue that you wouldn't even bother visiting the website?
I understand you're using this as a kind of superlative to make clear how bad you consider this particular limitation, but it's not really an argument or constructive, isn't it?

Personally I feel it's because people want to use high res output in some kind of semi-professional/commercial way. These are gray areas, but it could also mean that these limitations won't allow a person to seriously convince his TD to use this software in a project and thus it is in their best interest.
So in the end it's best to let them do their say about this and not me.

I will communicate this with them, because I bet they are really interested to hear what the true problem is with this limitation.

Cheers,
Martin

Old 05-09-2013, 01:33 AM   #32
ctrlstudio

portfolio
Maximilian Tarpini
Italy

You don't get it. I don't want an application to explore, - I wanna one to use, for my personal non-commercial projects.

Take a look at the DaVinci Resolve Lite - Free edition and you'll see why I use it to grade my personal footage stuff. The model is clear enough to get over it. You don't want to limit single users (that they are entry level user or pro users or even first time users you attracted with your offer) in almost anything, you do want that your software will become their main personal software, only then they will be able to really want it also for the studio they work for and so on. If HD is enough for personal work on video footage, 2K is probably for single frames.

And btw look at BlackMagic diligent naming, you have to call it at least Lite-Free if the product has limitation.

cheers

Last edited by ctrlstudio : 05-09-2013 at 01:39 AM.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #33
WyattHarris
Daddy x 4

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Wyatt Harris
WyattHarris.com
Baton Rouge, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangled-Universe
I will communicate this with them, because I bet they are really interested to hear what the true problem is with this limitation.

Alright, I'll give you the true problem, for me. I don't get the chance to do a lot of commercial work so 90% of what I do is personal. I like to shoot for the best possible output I can even though it's not commercial because 1. I want it to be the best it can and 2. personal work is how I would advertise myself as the commercial work I do get is not very challenging.

Any output coming from Terragen at 800x600 is going to look like ass when I use it with another software package so I just wouldn't bother and find another way. Is this concept really that hard to understand?

Terragen is priced fine, I just can't justify getting it at the moment. Unfortunately, the free version is at best a demo as I wouldn't use it for anything other than learning the software. Which is fine, I really don't have a problem with it. Certainly not enough to justify this long of a conversation.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 05-09-2013, 08:31 PM   #34
Tangled-Universe
Frequenter
portfolio
Martin Huisman
Rotterdam, Netherlands

Send a message via MSN to Tangled-Universe
Thanks guys I have informed them and we'll see. Their concern, not mine.

And yes I do get it now, no worries and no need to start acting like arses too by the way...why is this happening here so often?
This place is full of people knowing their things and such, but hell not all of them have the most pleasant attitudes...jeez

Old 05-10-2013, 09:10 PM   #35
WyattHarris
Daddy x 4

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Wyatt Harris
WyattHarris.com
Baton Rouge, USA

Hold on there hombre. Maybe its a language problem but you seemed to be trying to pick a fight this whole time. Don't act all innocent now.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 05-16-2013, 08:03 PM   #36
Bliz
pixel pushing since 1989

portfolio
Anthony Rosbottom
Artist
HotGen Ltd.
London, United Kingdom

Send a message via ICQ to Bliz Send a message via MSN to Bliz
In the past I used the previous non-commercial version of terragen to make HDR skyboxes. Rendered each side at 512x512 to make maya and MR happy. Blur the resulting textures a bit if you want to see them in your scene but either way, you have a customisable HDR lighting rig for rendering turntable scenes and the like.

So the non-commercial version[s] do have some uses.

This comprehensive link includes tutorials for both versions of Terragen if you want to give it a try.

http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/...p?topic=11608.0

homepage:www.anthonyrosbottom.com

Old 05-16-2013, 08:03 PM   #37
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread