Terragen 2.5 becomes free for non-commercial!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #16
Originally Posted by eworc: "Houdini Apprentice has similar restrictions, even a couple extra, and Houdini Apprentice HD isn't comparible since it isn't free as it costs you $99 a year."

Similar, yeah a restriction on image size, from HD useful versus your 800x600 non-useful. You want a suggestion, match their resolution and have a non-intrusive watermark like Houdini Apprentice. Done.

As far as Apprentice HD being $99 a year, so what, the vast majority of users of a non-commercial program would pay that for a 3D program that is actually useful to them versus a free one that you can't even make a wallpaper out of. Again you guy's termed it as a new non-commercial edition. Take sidefx's lead on a proper non-commercial edition or don't. That's my opinion. I have a commercial version of Vue that I use as a hobby so unless you guy's lowered your commercial version substantially or did a proper non-commercial version like HD, I'm not even going to look Terragens way.

yup price does feel kind of high. While i'm glad they have some test version for those looking at something different. But damn Terragens is crazy complicated.

Old 05 May 2013   #17
Originally Posted by eworc: "Houdini Apprentice has similar restrictions, even a couple extra, and Houdini Apprentice HD isn't comparible since it isn't free as it costs you $99 a year."

Similar, yeah a restriction on image size, from HD useful versus your 800x600 non-useful. You want a suggestion, match their resolution and have a non-intrusive watermark like Houdini Apprentice. Done.

As far as Apprentice HD being $99 a year, so what, the vast majority of users of a non-commercial program would pay that for a 3D program that is actually useful to them versus a free one that you can't even make a wallpaper out of. Again you guy's termed it as a new non-commercial edition. Take sidefx's lead on a proper non-commercial edition or don't. That's my opinion. I have a commercial version of Vue that I use as a hobby so unless you guy's lowered your commercial version substantially or did a proper non-commercial version like HD, I'm not even going to look Terragens way.

You're comparing apples and eggs and you know that.

From their website:

Apprentice = 720x576 with watermark + locked file-type + no FBX export
Apprentice HD = full HD without watermark + locked filetype + no FBX export + $99 a year.
Terragen = 800x600, a max of 3 instanced population with AA3, no locked file-types and only limitations in exported geometry.

Now you're trying to defend the $99 investment while this whole discussion was about how this free version "competes" or compares with other packages.
The paid version has HD rendering with watermark, but you make your arguments as if its the free version who has it. That's just incorrect.
You're comparing apples and eggs.

Last edited by Tangled-Universe : 05 May 2013 at 08:58 PM.

Old 05 May 2013   #18
I disagree. Sidefx's Learning Edition is their free Apprentice version which I am comparing to your free non-commerical edition. The resolution is similar but many would prefer their aspect ratio format over 800x600. Yes, export of FBX is restricted but you can export other formats. It also has a non-intrusive watermark. I'll take that over the restrictions you cite over Terragen as they have no functional restrictions other than what is cited and the ability to use third party renderers. Your restrictions, "a max of 3 instanced population with AA3... limitations in exported geometry" seems to be too much but I could be wrong as I only tried the demo a year or two ago.

Sidefx's Apprentice HD would really be considered a non-commerical product. Very little functional restrictions, mainly export but that's irrelevant since you can do anything you need to do within the package itself. I guess if you want to do some Zbrush work, it would be no problem since you can export geometry via obj file format at least. Be as it may,my opinion is that their Apprentice HD version is the standard bearer of a non-commerical edition for the hobbyist and those looking to learn without much restrictions for a small yearly price.

"The paid version has HD rendering with watermark, but you make your arguments as if its the free version who has it. That's just incorrect."

What you say is just incorrect. The HD version has no watermark...you even cite that a few sentences prior.

Sorry, don't mean for you to take this personal. You want an opinion from a hobbyist and want to get a piece of that market...I'm telling you what would get me in the door with my wallet. Sidefx has my support and the more frugal financial influx from me due to many things but mainly due to the HD version offered itself to people like me. I don't think I am alone on this.

Last thing, I wouldn't make a big deal out of the "locked filetype" considering most 3D software packages have their own filetype that can't be opened at all in other packages or are truncated to a degree on import. What other software package can open their native file format anyway. I think it's sole purpose is to prevent a studio or group from having one commerical license and dozens of Apprentice versions used by others...funneling the output to the commerical version at the end. Makes sense to me and the non-commerical file format doesn't hamper anything from my use.

Last edited by eworc : 05 May 2013 at 03:25 AM.

Old 05 May 2013   #19
Originally Posted by Tangled-Universe: I think this is one of the many misconceptions about the software which seemed to be nailed/hammered into many (experienced) CG artists around. Say "Terragen" and many say "oh that simple click and render landscape app anyone can use...isn't it?"
Thus I suppose you were referring to the "Classic" Terragen, version 0.9?

I'm not sure what you're commenting on. Yes, Terragen 2.x is a very easy program to use compared to... well any other 3D package. Except maybe Sculptris. That is not an insult though. It's one of the things I like about it and it produces great results.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 05 May 2013   #20
Originally Posted by eworc: I disagree. Sidefx's Learning Edition is their free Apprentice version which I am comparing to your free non-commerical edition. The resolution is similar but many would prefer their aspect ratio format over 800x600.

Now you are just fussing over a tiny difference in pixel size? You do realise that 720x576 fits *inside* 800x600, therefore you can have the aspect ratio you want...sheesh, some people are never satisfied...

Old 05 May 2013   #21
seven twenty what? those times are long gone
so the only way to use a terragen image as BG for a mobile is to get a nokia from 1999?

portfolio - www.shaidacher.com
Vimeo - vimeo.com/deroesi

game project - moldgame.wordpress.com

WIPs - theremoteguy.tumblr.com

Old 05 May 2013   #22
Eworc, just read over the whole thing again, visit SideFX.com and you'll see for yourself that you're mixing things up about SideFX's apprentice versions.
Else I also refer to Njen's comment.

No I don't take it personally, I just think you're often (yes that means in other topics) very condescending quickly and especially difficult to discuss with, but it might indeed be something personal and perhaps you referred to that.
Not because of your arguments, but the way you tend to justify your opinion to yourself.
That's perfectly fine, but if others disagree with that way of discussing something then that doesn't necessarily mean they take it personally, rather you do. I think?
And it seems that whenever a topic contains discussion about this software you show up and start saying lots of weird and incorrect things which makes me wonder why you have such a beef with this

Originally Posted by WyattHarris: I'm not sure what you're commenting on. Yes, Terragen 2.x is a very easy program to use compared to... well any other 3D package. Except maybe Sculptris. That is not an insult though. It's one of the things I like about it and it produces great results.

Ah ok, so you were talking about 2.x
It occured to me as if you meant 0.9x which is generally considered to be easy, that's why Apparently this is changing, so I was mistaking!

Just out of curiosity, did you make something nice with it you're willing to share? You made me curious of course

Last edited by Tangled-Universe : 05 May 2013 at 05:01 PM.

Old 05 May 2013   #23
Originally Posted by Njen: Now you are just fussing over a tiny difference in pixel size? You do realise that 720x576 fits *inside* 800x600, therefore you can have the aspect ratio you want...sheesh, some people are never satisfied...

My bad, for some reason I had it it my mind that it was the only output setting and therefore you couldn't change the aspect ratio within this edition.

Old 05 May 2013   #24
TU - There is no watermark on output from Apprentice HD.

I quite simply stated my opinion that the best non-commerical paradigm out there should be emulated by others, including planetside, which is sidefx. You said something to the affect that nobody ever gives a better alternative with the functionality/restriction ratio but I did.

Go back and mull over my past posts, I have said the same thing about other software. So, this "showing up" would have occurred if any other software announcement was the same.

Old 05 May 2013   #25
Originally Posted by eworc: TU - There is no watermark on output from Apprentice HD.

Yessss...but it is not freeeeee

Originally Posted by eworc: I quite simply stated my opinion that the best non-commerical paradigm out there should be emulated by others, including planetside, which is sidefx. You said something to the affect that nobody ever gives a better alternative with the functionality/restriction ratio but I did.

Go back and mull over my past posts, I have said the same thing about other software. So, this "showing up" would have occurred if any other software announcement was the same.

Yes, non-commercial....I think I see where I may have went wrong here, also in the quote above in this particular post (I won't censor myself lol)...that non-commercial doesn't mean it has to be free.

Old 05 May 2013   #26
TU -

True but I think when people, myself included, read "non-commerical", they are thinking on the lines of what sidefx offers in Apprentice HD and 3D Coat for example...versus really a demo, due to the restrictions, in my opinion that this edition really is.

As a demo, it's great but looking at it as a "non-commerical", not so great.

I whined about Cinema 4D and recently about Next Limit, which they did remove some of the limitations a day or whatever later...as well in this scope. So, I hope they choose to do a "non-commerical" version in the same vein as sidefx.

I think I worded some stuff in my second post on this thread wrong, so miscommunication on my part. Adios.

Old 05 May 2013   #27
Originally Posted by eworc: TU -

True but I think when people, myself included, read "non-commerical", they are thinking on the lines of what sidefx offers in Apprentice HD and 3D Coat for example...versus really a demo, due to the restrictions, in my opinion that this edition really is.

As a demo, it's great but looking at it as a "non-commerical", not so great.

I whined about Cinema 4D and recently about Next Limit, which they did remove some of the limitations a day or whatever later...as well in this scope. So, I hope they choose to do a "non-commerical" version in the same vein as sidefx.

I think I worded some stuff in my second post on this thread wrong, so miscommunication on my part. Adios.

Dude you want to change the name of their non-commercial thing. Buy their company and do so. I and other see no issue with their jargon. There really is no point. I can't understand why it's so hard to get your head around this. You keep mentioning other company, why?.. whi cares, go with them .

Old 05 May 2013   #28
Quote:

Dude you want to change the name of their non-commercial thing. Buy their company and do so. I and other see no issue with their jargon. There really is no point. I can't understand why it's so hard to get your head around this. You keep mentioning other company, why?.. whi cares, go with them .

How many companies have you bought in order to validate your opinions? That would be zero.

Not the best analogy but close as I can get with the time I want to invest in telling you how I see the differences.

Demo = Excerpts from a novel about Programming. Not enough to write a commerical program and make money and not enough to make a personal program worth a damn. But you get a gist of what it's about.

Non-Commerical = A novel about Programming (cheap like a novel). Enough to write a personal program worth a damn but restricted from being able to write a commerical program. The lower cost is worth your personal enjoyment during some leisure time.

Commerical version = A technical Programming book (Expensive, go to a book store). Enough to write a commercial program worth a damn and no restrictions.

So, you see, novels are cheap for a reason, you can't really make any money off the knowledge you get from it...however technical books are expensive because you can make up the cost of the purchase of the book AND make money off of it.

That's why I think companies such as sidefx, 3dcoat and nextlimit offer these non-commerical editions at a fraction of the cost. They are not full commerical versions but they are very close and significantly a higher step up than a demo.

So, planetside will get a glance from the "non-commerical edition" message but ultimately the people that would want that will see that it doesn't give them what it should, that it's just a demo.

That's my opinion...you gave me yours, which was for me to buy the company. I think mine is more reasonable.

Last edited by eworc : 05 May 2013 at 11:20 PM.

Old 05 May 2013   #29
Cool so many softwares are giving away

because of the economy and they want their products to get noticed and hopefully someone will buy but i've already got to many. most 3d apps will make landscapes, not quickly, but i'll stick with Vue. i don't have time to learn another program but that's awfully nice of the company to give a free version. i think it's great for people who don't have a landscape program, but i have to agree with others the render size is a real kick. i like big pictures...

Old 05 May 2013   #30
'free' for 'non-commercial' stuff, means the same exact commercial package that you sell for money, just free for people that won't use it for commercial stuff.

And that's clear why you do that. You try to put a real user base on your product, that in turn means your product is really good that people will buy it surely as soon as they'll go for commercial stuff. I used to use intel compiler 'free' (exactly the same commercial package just free) linux edition, and as soon as I started dev for wins I just bought it.

Be aware that's not something like you can convince or not people about. As soon as I saw the limitation of 800x600 I did not even bothered to follow the product page link, as many others here probably.

cheers

Thread Closed share thread