"The Art of Moving Points" iBook is available on iTunes

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 04 April 2013   #1
"The Art of Moving Points" iBook is available on iTunes

Two-time VES award winning Character Technical Director Brian Tindall has just released his iBook"The Art of Moving Points" for facial modeling and articulation, is now up on iTunes.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/animatio...f-moving-points

Description

The “Art of Moving Points” is designed for the intermediate to advanced Character Rigger or Character Modeler that wants to learn a different approach to character facial articulation using point weight containers, and assigning them to deformers to move points in space. The “Art of Moving Points” is also an excellence source for Character Modelers who are designing character facial meshes for production. Character facial articulation is extremely challenging, and The “Art of Moving Points” breaks down the modeling and articulation process using three formats: text, illustrations and videos.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/th...639498241?mt=11

Last edited by HippyDrome : 04 April 2013 at 05:14 AM. Reason: new update

Old 04 April 2013   #2
Will be ordering it tonight when I get home to the ipad. Great news, and congratulations on the release, been checking in frequently for the last two months, so I'm sure that the extra effort to make sure its at the right standard is there, can't wait to check it out.

Old 04 April 2013   #3
https://vimeo.com/hippydrome/videos

This is really interesting stuff. I think I'll have to get this book. Do you use Modo?

Do you have a rig we can play with or see it in action? You have the pixar stuff which is of course very impressive but I'd like to see some in-between stages. Seeing a UV move and a pixar render is a bit to big of a jump for me to sell me on it.

Look forward to seeing the reviews.

Old 04 April 2013   #4
Looks very interesting. Since I don't own an iPad I would love to see it become available on other platforms too in the future Any plans for that?

Old 04 April 2013   #5
Originally Posted by shapeshifter: Looks very interesting. Since I don't own an iPad I would love to see it become available on other platforms too in the future Any plans for that?

Yes, sometime at the end of the year.

HD

Old 04 April 2013   #6
Thanks for the info. Looking forward to reading it.

Markus

Old 04 April 2013   #7
Same here. Great to see this finally make it to (proverbial) press. Wife's been finagling for an iPad for some time, maybe she can win me over now

Old 04 April 2013   #8
Originally Posted by gauranga108: https://vimeo.com/hippydrome/videos

This is really interesting stuff. I think I'll have to get this book. Do you use Modo?

Do you have a rig we can play with or see it in action? You have the pixar stuff which is of course very impressive but I'd like to see some in-between stages. Seeing a UV move and a pixar render is a bit to big of a jump for me to sell me on it.

Look forward to seeing the reviews.

Hi,

I am learning MODO but have been a Maya guy for the past 12 years. I really like MODO, because that it allows me to weight and evaluate my deformers independently, and then have them fire in serial, this is also called “Order of Operation” or O.O.O.. The deformation system in MODO works in this way by default. You can easily create new weight maps using weight containers, assign them to a deformer, and rearrange their evaluation order. You can then work to make that single deformation effect work exactly the way you want, all with its own setup, weighting and parameters. It allows you to focus and make sure it’s working right, before moving on to make sure it’s playing nice with others.

MODO works very similar to the tools that I used at Pixar.

My iBook is not software specific, but theories on moving points in space. You can apply these theories to any software that can do an Order of Operation. This is not a technical rigging iBook but a iBook about the artistic side to the addition of points in space. With this information you will be able to consistently reproduce the same articulation from character to character, regardless of the character’s design. This also allows the animation to be transferred from one character to another. This iBook is set up to give you the “why and how” of character facial articulation.

Cheers,

HD

Old 04 April 2013   #9
Thanks for the detailed reply.

I'll be getting this book.

I've been rigging for about 7 years in Maya and it's always seemed off to me. Painting weights has never made sense to me. I've been working on a tool that by-passes painting weights for a few months and your book seems like the deep understanding I've been looking for and wondering if I'm alone in my pursuit to work smarter.

To me rigging is a deformation problem first and unless we come at it from that angle we're destined to waste time.

Thanks for taking to time to write this book.

Old 04 April 2013   #10
Hey, HD, been following your efforts for quite some time. Congrats on the book, I´m considering an iPad just for this.

Just one quick question.

Can Modo do different OOO for elements within one character? For example, can a charactermorph fire BEFORE joint deformation, but compensation morphs (elbow tx) fire AFTER the jints (smartskin)?

In other words, are all morphs globally evaluated in the same order, or can we decide OOO on a case by case basis?

Old 04 April 2013   #11
Originally Posted by CB_3D: Hey, HD, been following your efforts for quite some time. Congrats on the book, I´m considering an iPad just for this.

Just one quick question.

Can Modo do different OOO for elements within one character? For example, can a charactermorph fire BEFORE joint deformation, but compensation morphs (elbow tx) fire AFTER the jints (smartskin)?

In other words, are all morphs globally evaluated in the same order, or can we decide OOO on a case by case basis?

Yes, in MODO you can decide the OOO when something is going to fire, any time, in any order, for each morph influence or deformer.

cheers,

HD

Old 04 April 2013   #12
Originally Posted by HippyDrome: Yes, in MODO you can decide the OOO when something is going to fire, any time, in any order, for each morph influence or deformer.

cheers,

HD

Thx, man.

Modo is really becoming impressive these days. From what I undersamd even better than maya when it comes to deformation rigging. Will really have to look into it.

Again thx!

Old 05 May 2013   #13
Originally Posted by CB_3D: Thx, man.

Modo is really becoming impressive these days. From what I undersamd even better than maya when it comes to deformation rigging. Will really have to look into it.

Again thx!

Hi,

Yes, MODO has some great tools for articulating characters and is very similar to the way Pixar articulation tools work.

cheers

HD

Old 10 October 2013   #14
Hi,

You can now read "The Art of Moving Points" iBook on any Apple computer running OS X Mavericks.

The iBook is for sale in all countries that it can be sold in. You can check the iTunes store to see if your country is on the list.

cheers,

Brian

Originally Posted by HippyDrome: Two-time VES award winning Character Technical Director Brian Tindall has just released his iBook"The Art of Moving Points" for facial modeling and articulation, is now up on iTunes.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/animatio...f-moving-points

Description

The “Art of Moving Points” is designed for the intermediate to advanced Character Rigger or Character Modeler that wants to learn a different approach to character facial articulation using point weight containers, and assigning them to deformers to move points in space. The “Art of Moving Points” is also an excellence source for Character Modelers who are designing character facial meshes for production. Character facial articulation is extremely challenging, and The “Art of Moving Points” breaks down the modeling and articulation process using three formats: text, illustrations and videos.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/th...639498241?mt=11

Old 02 February 2014   #15
Any progress on bringing this to any non-apple platform ?
I wouldn't mind buying it off i-Tunes but it seems that unlike the music, you can only read the books on a mac ? Is a kindle edition or anything of that sort being considered ?
Thanks.

reply share thread