CGTalk > Main Forums > News
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 04-16-2013, 02:13 AM   #16
philnolan3d
LightWaver / 3D-Coater

portfolio
Phil Nolan
Generalist
Philadelphia, USA

Send a message via AIM to philnolan3d
Ah yes 3D-Coat has always had that since it first got sculpting tools. I use that but I mostly use primitives or freeform primitives to add to and cut away from the model.
Sculpt first, Polygons later

Old 04-16-2013, 02:29 AM   #17
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Good to know, thanks.
You are missing out though. Primitives are fine for some tasks, but there is nothing quicker then being able to quicly orbit the camera down the direction you want and cut a line or a circle into the design when you don't care about the depth of it. Give it a try.

Eat 3D actually has an excellent hard surface modelling tutorial:
http://eat3d.com/zbrush_hardsurface

While it's for ZBrush, it's a very pleasant watch (Mike Jensen is very likeable in how he goes on about things and speaks, very easy on the ears), and you might pick up more than a few tricks that apply to quick proto regardless of software, and contribute to the next release of 3D coat with some nifty ideas coming from ZB

Free Maya Nodes

Old 04-16-2013, 02:40 AM   #18
philnolan3d
LightWaver / 3D-Coater

portfolio
Phil Nolan
Generalist
Philadelphia, USA

Send a message via AIM to philnolan3d
Yes like I said, I do use that. I just find a freeform primitive can offer much more control over the shape and of course it can give a full 3D curved shape versus just 2D.
Sculpt first, Polygons later

Old 04-16-2013, 04:48 AM   #19
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN6C5B4rMuQ
Sounds like it does. The curve clipping brush in ZBrush (the very first you see in the video) can be frustrating at times with the lack of curve persistence, but 99% of the time it's an extremely intuitive way to deal with multiple fast clips.
It's a cardinal curve you can stretch between clicks and add hidden points to with ALT.

Will see on release. Looking forward to it.

Yea it not only has that (and makes perfect cuts every time without geometry exploding like in zbrush) but you can also use bezier curves, or poly line, freehand, square, circle whatever.

The really amazing thing is you can adjust depth so it only clips a certain amount into the geometry. It really opens up a ton of possibilities when hard surface modeling.

I am pretty sure the version you have has all those. Just make a voxel geo, select the clip brush hit E and go to town.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:31 PM   #20
Psionic Design
2D/3D/4D

Psionic
Freelance 2D/3D Artist
United Kingdom

Thumbs up

Really looking forward to V4!

3D Coat has just been getting better and better over recent months and I'm using it for pretty much everything these days. Love the cutoff tool, Vox layer tool and the 2D painting side of things with logical layers, blend modes, masks, curves etc is awesome!!

Old 04-17-2013, 12:58 PM   #21
yolao
Lord of the posts
y.H.
Mexico

this looks really nice.

Can someone please answer this questions regarding the voxels mode.

-Can you transfer the high detail sculpt to the retopologised mesh?

-Can you move many diferent voxel objects at the same time with the move brush for example?, kind of like transpose master in zbrush.

-Can you go back and forth subdivision levels?..so if you have a high resolution details and you need to make changes at a low resolution stage you go back to a low subd level with out lossing the details of the high res stage.

Thanks

Old 04-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #22
Psionic Design
2D/3D/4D

Psionic
Freelance 2D/3D Artist
United Kingdom

Thumbs up

Quote:
-Can you transfer the high detail sculpt to the retopologised mesh?

Yeah sure, create some polys in the retopo room or a full retopology, goto 'Retopo>Merge with NM' for typical merge with normal maps/textures, set the baking distances visually and go.

Quote:
-Can you move many diferent voxel objects at the same time with the move brush for example?, kind of like transpose master in zbrush.

Yes, click 'Through all volumes' in options up top when using the move or pose tool.

Quote:
-Can you go back and forth subdivision levels?..so if you have a high resolution details and you need to make changes at a low resolution stage you go back to a low subd level with out lossing the details of the high res stage.

Yeah but not lots of levels, it creates a low detail proxy version that you can alter and re-apply to the hi-rez version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJqeUCZ3HLk

Old 04-17-2013, 02:11 PM   #23
Nemoid
This IS a cow

Nemoid
Illustrator, Comic book artist, Storyteller
Italy

Fantastic as this app keeps growing ! It would be awesome to see a videotutorial about hardsurface modelling in 3D Coat. I saw some videos on that argument but not complete from start to end.
It seems to me like it can be better than Zbrush in that field, though
Another question is : would be convenient to model hardsurface like this and then retopology or is that actually good for design purposes only ?
I think finding a way to obtain good meshes of comlex objects but starting in sculpting app could be a new frontier regarding modelling.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:53 PM   #24
yolao
Lord of the posts
y.H.
Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psionic Design
Yeah sure, create some polys in the retopo room or a full retopology, goto 'Retopo>Merge with NM' for typical merge with normal maps/textures, set the baking distances visually and go.

Yes, click 'Through all volumes' in options up top when using the move or pose tool.

Yeah but not lots of levels, it creates a low detail proxy version that you can alter and re-apply to the hi-rez version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJqeUCZ3HLk

great, thanks for the info.

-by the way. The computer ventilation seem to be working more than normal. Is this common?

-Are there sticky keys in 3d coat..?

thanks again

Last edited by yolao : 04-17-2013 at 04:32 PM.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:47 PM   #25
HcyeKRa
Veteran
portfolio
Markus
Bern, Switzerland

3D-Coat uses your CPU's AND GFX Card's GPU aka Hardware Rendering(D3D or OGL)or even calculations for Voxel stuff if NV CUDA is used) to draw your stuff on screen...

ZBrush uses only CPU's for everything( aka Software Rendering)
as far as i know.

That's the Reason you hear your GFX Card making more noise....my bet at least.

Edit: Or in short: in 3DCoat your GFX Card has much more to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolao
great, thanks for the info.

-by the way. The computer ventilation seem to be working more than normal. Is this common?

-Are there sticky keys in 3d coat..?

thanks again

Last edited by HcyeKRa : 04-17-2013 at 05:59 PM.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:44 PM   #26
Larry_g1s
Sinner Saved by Grace

portfolio
Larry Vasquez
USA

I've not delved in to sculpting much, but this still looked slick.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:50 PM   #27
pipdixel
Frequenter

portfolio
JTK
USA

Can 3d Coat use SLI ? 2 or 3 nvidia cards?

Old 04-18-2013, 01:09 AM   #28
yolao
Lord of the posts
y.H.
Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by HcyeKRa
3D-Coat uses your CPU's AND GFX Card's GPU aka Hardware Rendering(D3D or OGL)or even calculations for Voxel stuff if NV CUDA is used) to draw your stuff on screen...

ZBrush uses only CPU's for everything( aka Software Rendering)
as far as i know.

That's the Reason you hear your GFX Card making more noise....my bet at least.

Edit: Or in short: in 3DCoat your GFX Card has much more to do.

thanks Markus. The video card that i`m using is very old, so that may be the reason...

Old 04-18-2013, 01:27 AM   #29
dellis
Know-it-All

portfolio
Dwayne Ellis
Ellis Digital Solutions Inc.
Tecumseh, Canada

Send a message via MSN to dellis
Doesn't look like the Retopo Tools got any more attention. The rest of the stuff is pretty impressive!

Old 04-18-2013, 02:00 AM   #30
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoid
I think finding a way to obtain good meshes of comlex objects but starting in sculpting app could be a new frontier regarding modelling.

It was the new frontier four years ago, everybody's been doing that for a while.
It takes a very particular set of conditions, legacy to support, or a very stubborn and old school artist to not start from within a sculpting package even for hard surface these days.

Only environments and some particular things tend to be roughed out and kit bashed from a "normal" app these days, and that's inevitably because of the assembly qualities.

Mudbox and the recent integration of NEX to maya are late to the game, but 3DCoat, Zbrush, and Topogun have been at the starting end of modelling pipelines that go straight from art to sculpt for a while now.

You're getting out of touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellis
Doesn't look like the Retopo Tools got any more attention. The rest of the stuff is pretty impressive!

That's probably a good thing accounting for dev time being a finite resource.
The retopo tools (alongside the linux support) already got it in a lot of places, they are already very well regarded as is coupled with the not-best-in-show but still solid UV tools that you have the option to sketch out at the same time. The sculpting and the tacticle (lack of) feeling needed work, and it seems something is being done, while I haven't done much in pre v4 other than retopo and UVs (sculpting felt hella awkward), this release looks good enough that I think I will give it another try. It might very well expand its niche.

Free Maya Nodes

Last edited by ThE_JacO : 04-18-2013 at 02:13 AM.

Thread Closed share thread