DreamWorks Buys Trolls from Dam Things

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
DreamWorks Buys Trolls from Dam Things

Quote:
"DreamWorks Animation just announced that they have acquired the IP for the Trolls franchise from the Dam Family and Dam Things of Denmark. DreamWorks now becomes the exclusive worldwide licensor of the merchandise rights for the humorously-deformed Don King-hairstyled Troll Dolls, with the sole exception of Scandanavia where Dam Things will remain the licensor. The studio had previously announced that they were developing a Trolls feature. "

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/business...toys-81029.html
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 04 April 2013   #2
People still buy those ugly unappealing things?

Old 04 April 2013   #3
Oh.. I thought they were rebooting the movie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyophYBP_w4

Old 04 April 2013   #4
Does dreamworks think trolls is really making a comeback since its last resurgence in the 90's? And on top of that so much so that it will be such an economic money machine they needed to acquire the IP instead of just movie rights or us licensing?

Old 04 April 2013   #5
Originally Posted by mlager8: Does dreamworks think trolls is really making a comeback since its last resurgence in the 90's? And on top of that so much so that it will be such an economic money machine they needed to acquire the IP instead of just movie rights or us licensing?

Long tail. The fact that Troll company is still available for purchase instead of closed shop tells something.

EDIT: Besides, these are the time of big companies. For example Disney have Marvel, Pixar and Lucas Film IP.

So if Dreamworks want to start collecting IP of their own, well, that is their business decisions.

Last edited by fablefox : 04 April 2013 at 04:11 AM. Reason: more info

Old 04 April 2013   #6
Originally Posted by fablefox: So if Dreamworks want to start collecting IP of their own, well, that is their business decisions.

I guess it's their business, it just sucks that they'd rather take a gamble on investing in some ancient IP (that though is still around seems to be anything but guaranteed profit) than maybe not laying off 350 employees...

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/business...yees-78471.html

Old 04 April 2013   #7
Originally Posted by fablefox: So if Dreamworks want to start collecting IP of their own, well, that is their business decisions.

I might have agreed with you had their main competitor not already used the same IP for their own purposes in Toy Story 3:

Example 1:
http://plastic-things.tumblr.com/post/31585002385

Example 2:
http://princesspeech.tumblr.com/post/6790718778

To Pixar it was nothing more than a background character. You would think that with all of the talented people at Dreamworks they would trust their designers to come up with an in house IP analogous to Pixar's three-eyed Aliens or Mac Guff/Illumination's Minions from Despicable Me. But no, they bought into a cheesy 90's fad.

edit: Does anyone remember which Animation/VFX company outsourced their company's logo re-design despite employing some of the best artist in the business? Was it ILM, Lucas Arts or Lucas Entertainment?

Last edited by mental : 04 April 2013 at 08:16 PM.

Old 04 April 2013   #8
Regarding the layoff, from what I heard, it was more of contract position, and due to the moving of animation release date, with some of them getting back into pre-production. No animation work = no need for animators.

Yes, it might be background character, then. I know it was not as currently popular as barbie. I'm sure there is a licensing reason for that. Also PIXAR obviously want to push their own toys/IP. With including Barbie just want to bring their current fans to Toy Story.

However, Smurf come up from nowhere, and yet.....

Budget $110 million[2]
Box office $563,749,323[3]

So, yeah, I don't blame Dreamworks. And if Trolls get green light as an animation, it means there will be a job for animators and Dreamworks will start hiring (contractually, probably).

Old 04 April 2013   #9
As a dane, I grew up with these.
Or well, only when I visited my grand parents.
I mostly liked to coam it ( they only had one ) due to the long hair, also loved to coam the My little ponies.
The relativly soft rubber felt good to bite in and would generate a lot of spit.
I never thought they were nice og good looking and never thought of them as a brand.

We got another variant of them on an island called Bornholm, they are called Krøllebølle, its bornholms second large brand after smoked Herring.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-KfpGefOkB...kr%C3%B8lle.png

Old 04 April 2013   #10
Originally Posted by mental: Does anyone remember which Animation/VFX company outsourced their company's logo re-design despite employing some of the best artist in the business?

WETA doing the Disney logo?

Old 04 April 2013   #11
Originally Posted by fablefox: Regarding the layoff, from what I heard, it was more of contract position, and due to the moving of animation release date, with some of them getting back into pre-production. No animation work = no need for animators.

All employees (except some of the top management) are contract employees, either per-picture or year-to-year. DW will re-negotiate the contracts as they desire as each contract comes up for renewal. So those employees weren't necessarily expecting their jobs to disappear when they hired on.

I don't know the details of the Trolls deal, but DW doesn't generally buy properties just to sit on them or collect residual revenue. They put a number of things into development that don't actually see the light of day, but if it survives the cut, I'd expect to see DW do something with Trolls further on down the line.

Cheers,
Michael

Old 04 April 2013   #12
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread