New Lagoa :: Technology Focus

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2013
New Lagoa :: Technology Focus

Hey there,

Have a look through the New Lagoa. It's a new cloud collaboration and rendering system devised by the same dudes who brought us the Lagoa Multiphysics solver for Softimage. Click thru the image.

04 April 2013
which kind of market is this aiming for ?
and how is this supposed to be integrated in existing pipelines, Export and Import ?
how does it deal with animations ?

Atm this looks like a solution for product and architectural design, maybe i am wrong.
But still this sounds like an exciting developement.

cheers

04 April 2013
I'm having the same questions. Unless it can somehow import animations I don't have any use of that kind of technology. That's too bad considering the speed at which it renders stills.

04 April 2013
In my opinion its a flash of future to come. That could be a way for solo Artists, groups of freelancing artists to solve one big problem - buying and maintaing a render-farm. That is always a problem at the beginning of business.

Brilliant!

my 2 cents

q

04 April 2013
Im not interested in anything that uses 'the cloud'.

04 April 2013
Hello,

Import Export:
The output is an image. We will have EXR output available soon.
The import is in several different formats, at this point we accept 3D models in .obj .3ds .ply .stl .dae .lwo, 2D Images in .png .jpg .bmp .exr, and bundles of .zip with any of the above in it. More formats coming.
ASE will be available soon for Hair fibers.

We have an API coming up that lets you query for anything in a scene and access any data. It would be trivial to take this kind of information out o the system if needed be. It's not a black box – quite the contrary.

Use case:
Now it suits Product Design, CAD and Arch viz very well.
Although photoreal character rendering is something we see growing as more people seem to be interested on that.
We see a lot of potential for using this as look and shot development tool. If you are ever working with someone else (a director, a supervisor, a colleague, etc), you can do it more efficiently now.
Another use case we seen is the purely 3d modeling at the visualization and review step.

Animation:
The fact that you can't do animation yet doesn't mean it was designed to be "animation unfriendly". In fact we have accurate motion blur (and other things) to guarantee animations can be rendered.
We are committed to improve the platform on a daily basis. For example recently we added Spectral Skin Material feature in less than one week, and everyone can now use it for character rendering.

We are deciding on animation input formats. We would love to hear what the community thinks would be the best animation data formats to accept?

-Thiago

Last edited by tc : 04 April 2013 at 02:56 PM.

04 April 2013
i tried it last week and i was very surprised.

in my side , it only work correctly on chrome. firefox and ie screw up the ui.

we cannot have precise control in the lighting and its very frustrating、its hdri base and cant control your reflector individually ( very important for pack shot etc)

the scene/ material node network is just a nightmare. cand find the material i want to change. maybe a special shorcut when clicking on the polygon we want will automaticly select the surface assigned in this poly?

the rendering was very fast, and we can also rendered large image ( i rendered 6000x3000)

i think its good idea to show to a client who cant decide then we use this tool, but we really need an export with camera/ anim support (fbx/ alembic). ideally is that lagoa will be a
3rd party party render connect in 3d app as plug in for max / maya etc and when client said ok ( angle/ material color etc) we can export all to our favourite app and finish to brush up the image we made in lagoa online.

how do you think? the problem is that we need to learn a new all app that do less that the standard. if major 3d app make an online version of.their soft where we can work as usual but the client can see the result within an elegant interface, lagoa will be dead in short time. but i appreciate the initiative

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by regeneration2005: we cannot have precise control in the lighting and its very frustrating、its hdri base and cant control your reflector individually ( very important for pack shot etc)

Si tu veux tu peux écrire en français directement au support@lagoa.com

You can have absolutely precise control over the lighting.

You can make sphere lights, isotropic dome lights, dome lights, half dome lights, and you can make any surface a light emitter.

Here's how to make a Mesh Light from a plane (a reflector): http://support.lagoa.com/2013/04/11/adding-mesh-lights/

There are more light types to be exposed in the future.

-Thiago

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by regeneration2005: lagoa will be dead in short time. but i appreciate the initiative

All the motivation the good people of the Lagoa need.

Quantum is the future and the Cloud is its door.

04 April 2013
Interesting

I think this new technology has a lot of potential! I signed up for it and want to test it. I am a freelancer and this way I could be able to improve my quality without buying very expensive render machines. In the end I want to be satisfied and satisfy my customers - if these new technologies can deliver what we need, they're welcome!

04 April 2013
hey guy, you take only the best part of my sentence. there is a condition before. i really support lagoa and push my company to purchase a commercial license to test it.

we have customer you know. we need the best tool and the best workflow. if lagoa can deliver a great experience i will use it. for the moment if feel better in my 3d app. more smooth viewport navigation. preview for product is faster, even if its not on the cloud, its immediate.

lagoa team have certainly an idea where there are aiming. i hope they.can open a new way to work.

good luck lagoa

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by tc: We are deciding on animation input formats. We would love to hear what the community thinks would be the best animation data formats to accept?

thanks for your answer.
i would go definetely for allembic and fbx.
I think formates like obj sequences would be too data excessive for cloud computation.

Originally Posted by tc: Use case:
Now it suits Product Design, CAD and Arch viz very well.
Although photoreal character rendering is something we see growing as more people seem to be interested on that.
We see a lot of potential for using this as look and shot development tool. If you are ever working with someone else (a director, a supervisor, a colleague, etc), you can do it more efficiently now.
Another use case we seen is the purely 3d modeling at the visualization and review step.

i hope your service evolves further and makes sooner or later a full online rendering environment possible. the possibilities of a global connected team without national barriers are manifold in many aspects.
it would also allow small stuios to have acces to flexible human and hardware ressources.
So please dont stay only at the product design and cad niche.
I see way more potential as connection is increasing more and more.
Normally i dont follow the cloud hype. but this looks promising.

Originally Posted by tc: Hello,
Animation:
The fact that you can't do animation yet doesn't mean it was designed to be "animation unfriendly". In fact we have accurate motion blur (and other things) to guarantee animations can be rendered.
We are committed to improve the platform on a daily basis. For example recently we

i could imagine an integrated export plugin ( from 3ds, maya , c4d etc)
for exporting the animation layer with one click directly into the cloud to update
existing animations with incremental backuping of animaiton layers and etc.

Are Pass outputs supported? Object id, Shadow pass, normal pass etc?

kind regards

04 April 2013
I'd definitely go for Alembic for all the animation part ! Less headaches than with fbx on all the different 3D platforms.

04 April 2013
Nice, but useless for us without animation support. Minimum requirement would be to be able to import MDDs.

But I don't really see me uploading confidential material into some cloud anyway, so...

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by Skamierski: Are Pass outputs supported? Object id, Shadow pass, normal pass etc?
kind regards

Haven't exposed that yet, but it is possible.
Actually we have specialized integrators, for things like Ambient Occlusion. We plan to expose those in the future.

Thread Closed share thread