OpenEXR 2.0 released

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #16
Though if your art directing light rays going through a volumetric smoke cloud it is far more expensive to rerender that file each time it is changed then dealing with a 500 meg per frame element. Same with any type of animated dof like the shot in Prometheus at the beginning where it went from the engineer to the dna.

A nice thing with a deep Exr is it compresses down to about 1/3-1/2 the size of a houdini rat or a pixar dtex file. A mistake a lot of people do with deep and any type of volumetrics is they have way too many steps in the file. You can bring it down to a much lower number and also render the deep separate from the color and then recolor it in nuke(merge beauty with deep). You only need to render the combined deep/color with characters, hair, hard surface objects (non fx elements).

One things I can see is people creating deep stock elements of smokes, fog and clouds. You could really reuse it over and over again just like stock shot elements. You can deep mask and and mix and match elements in shots.

Old 04 April 2013   #17
For a person with Maya 2013 and Nuke 7 what are my options for using deep data?

Old 04 April 2013   #18
renderman or vray nightlies...

Old 04 April 2013   #19
1. Prman: I made a simple tutorial for creating deep a couple years ago with Renderman Studio, Prman 15.2 and Maya here:

http://www.nukepedia.com/written-tu...-in-maya/prman/

It has changed a bit since then. Now you can render both color & deep files in a single file since Prman 16.

2. As mentioned Vray nightly can render VRST files which is their deep format and convert it to exr 2.

3. Houdini can render RAT files(not sure about exr 2.0 yet). There is source code out there for a rat reader for Nuke.
http://code.google.com/p/rat4nuke/

4. Mental Ray supports deep with their Detail Shadow maps. There aren't any exr 2.0 output or a detail shadow map AOV options yet.

Old 04 April 2013   #20
think the latest vray version is able to render direct into exr2 files...

Old 04 April 2013   #21
I searched for modo and deep data but found nothing which I'm a bit surprised at since they are partners with the foundry.

Old 04 April 2013   #22
Originally Posted by gauranga108: I searched for modo and deep data but found nothing which I'm a bit surprised at since they are partners with the foundry.

They probably were waiting for the exr2 format to be officially ready.

Old 04 April 2013   #23
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread