CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
The Consumerist: Electronic Arts named the worst company in America – again

Quote:
"For the second year in a row, readers of the consumer-watchdog website The Consumerist have named Electronic Arts "the worst company in America," vilifying the video game publisher more than Bank of America, Comcast and Ticketmaster (which took second, third and fourth places, respectively).
The results of the poll are hardly surprising -- even EA predicted it would repeat the dubious honor -- but they were certainly conclusive.

EA faced stiff competition en route to the championship round, besting fellow disliked companies Anheuser-Busch, Facebook and AT&T before squaring off against Bank of America in the final round of voting. BofA proved no match, however, as EA captured a decisive 78 percent of the vote to take home the not-so-coveted "Golden Poo" award. It’s the second straight "win" for EA and the second straight runner-up nod for Bank of America.

EA was cited for its love of microtransactions, the price of its games and its irritating DRM practices, among other issues. But the disastrous SimCity launch was a particular sore point.

"

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugge...-170932002.html
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 04-10-2013, 02:17 PM   #2
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

People's priorities astound me. While banks run economies into the ground with their unscrupulous practices and by gambling everyone's money and then have to get bailed out at the tax payers' expense while CEOs still reward themselves with multi million dollar bonuses, people instead get pissy about games which are a luxury and which they can abstain from entirely.

Don't like EA's practices? Don't buy their games.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:29 PM   #3
musashidan
Bar Stool Enthusiast

portfolio
Daniel McGrath
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz
Quote:
But the disastrous SimCity launch was a particular sore point.

"

I would have thought the disastrous collapse of the banking systems and subsequent state of misery for large swathes of the population might just have 'pipped it at the post'.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:54 PM   #4
ikarth
Veteran

portfolio
Isaac Karth
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by musashidan
I would have thought the disastrous collapse of the banking systems and subsequent state of misery for large swathes of the population might just have 'pipped it at the post'.

While I agree with this and I've seen this criticism all over the place...The Consumerist as a site isn't about the overall business practices or the economy or banking fraud. It's about the relationships between businesses and their customers, and usually focuses on things like bad customer support and so forth. (Though if we did want to expand the discussion to larger moral issues, EA isn't exactly in a position to throw stones, given the EA_Spouse labor issues and the like, though they have apparently been improving in that regard.)

Viewed in this light, whatever shenanigans the banking industry has gotten up to, they mostly only indirectly affect consumers, not directly like some of EA's practices. Whatever Bank of America has done, at least they don't close your accounts and confiscate your money for posting a complaint on their official forums.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:05 PM   #5
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikarth
While I agree with this and I've seen this criticism all over the place...The Consumerist as a site isn't about the overall business practices or the economy or banking fraud. It's about the relationships between businesses and their customers, and usually focuses on things like bad customer support and so forth. (Though if we did want to expand the discussion to larger moral issues, EA isn't exactly in a position to throw stones, given the EA_Spouse labor issues and the like, though they have apparently been improving in that regard.)

Viewed in this light, whatever shenanigans the banking industry has gotten up to, they mostly only indirectly affect consumers, not directly like some of EA's practices. Whatever Bank of America has done, at least they don't close your accounts and confiscate your money for posting a complaint on their official forums.

Are you serious? I would say ruining people financially effect customers pretty directly over not being able to play Sim City for a week because of server issues (and everyone got a free game out of it).

You have to be seriously out of touch with reality to even compare EA to some of the other companies on that list.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:03 AM   #6
jporter313
Lord of the posts

Justin Porter
UI/UX Designer
EA/Visceral
San Francisco, USA

Send a message via Yahoo to jporter313
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikarth

Seriously.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:08 AM   #7
phexitol
hot pixel

hex pilot
USA

Thumbs down

@ikarth @jporter313:

Please place all of your money and valuables on a table in your living rooms. I'll swing by and rob you at gunpoint, but I'll be ever so polite about it, and even ask you to share your feelings on the subject afterwards.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #8
CHRiTTeR
On the run!

Chris
Graphic designer extraordinaire
Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh
People's priorities astound me. While banks run economies into the ground with their unscrupulous practices and by gambling everyone's money and then have to get bailed out at the tax payers' expense while CEOs still reward themselves with multi million dollar bonuses, people instead get pissy about games which are a luxury and which they can abstain from entirely.

My guess is its an online voting thing, right? So that should explain it (mainly kids voting).

Run something like this on tv with EA and the banks as possible candidated and i bet you the banks will 'win' that one.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:05 PM   #9
circusboy
Expert
Raonull Conover
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRiTTeR
My guess is its an online voting thing, right? So that should explain it (mainly kids voting).

Run something like this on tv with EA and the banks as possible candidated and i bet you the banks will 'win' that one.

Indeed.

-I bet a huge number of voters are not 'B of A' customers in a serious capacity (but their parents might be).
-Chuck in some disgruntled 'lifer' Sim City fans (also still living at home)
-Also mix in 'weren't the real bank issues in 2008 with some extra fall-out maybe in 2009'? And a slow simmer of financial recovery since? So basically the banks are 'bad' - but *old* news...

Correct me if I am wrong up here in Canada (about B of A) but that probably all adds up for EA (again).

Old 04-11-2013, 10:17 PM   #10
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Old 04-13-2013, 02:52 PM   #11
cyartist
Lord of the posts

the,one
visionary
maryland, United States Minor Outlying Islands

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh

I do buy any games so I guess I am ahead of the curve.

Old 04-13-2013, 02:52 PM   #12
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread