Disney shuts down Lucasarts

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #16
Most of the times when I read about a game company going bankrupt you won't get more than a 'psst' out of me. But I am a bit sad that Lucasarts is gone so much of my youth was spent playing their games; Monkey Island, Sam and Max, Day of the Tentatcle and so many others.

Old 04 April 2013   #17
As games go Lucas Arts has been doing nothing but spitting out Star Wars games.

Switching to licensing out the games to other studios is a far more interesting development for gamers, since more studios will get a crack at it and you'll get more unique takes on their IPs.

Plus now we can hope for a DoubleFine Monkey Island.

Old 04 April 2013   #18
Tim Schafer, Ron Gilbert bid farewell to LucasArts

Quote:
"
In the wake of LucasArts closing, various luminaries of the studio have started to pay their respects. Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert, who both made their names on Lucas adventure games, have been among the old hands speaking fondly about their experiences.
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 04 April 2013   #19
when was the last time lucasarts actually made a game themselves?

last lucasarts game I played was KOTOR, and that was in 2003. Pretty sure Bioware did all the work on that one

Old 04 April 2013   #20
Originally Posted by squidinc: when was the last time lucasarts actually made a game themselves?

last lucasarts game I played was KOTOR, and that was in 2003. Pretty sure Bioware did all the work on that one

Believe they did both of The Force Unleashed games, and 1313 was looking really cool. They hadn't done a hit game in a while though unfortunately.

Old 04 April 2013   #21
Bahhh wish this would not have happened until after starwars 1313 it looked so awesome ! ....but wish it did not happen at all .

Old 04 April 2013   #22
All the other companies combined that have shut down this year don't result in the disappoint I experienced when I first heard this news. :( I know the games have been a tad lackluster lately (though I actually had fun with the Unleashed titles). But you know the economic times have hit rock bottom when Star Wars can't sell. As well, I thought the screen shots of 1313 for the xbox 720/PS4 looked phenomenal (as well as the overall premise). Just sucks.

Last edited by MrPositive : 04 April 2013 at 11:11 AM.

Old 04 April 2013   #23
These displaced creators will surely bounce back and some good will come out of this. Nature really abhors a void. That's all I can say. Small comfort, but I have faith that these things work out in time. It's just the immediate sting of it that hurts the most.

Originally Posted by MrPositive: But you know the economic times have hit rock bottom when Star Wars can't sell.

That's another story entirely though. Depending on who you ask, some people will say that there's not enough Star Wars out there while others will say that there's too much. It doesn't help that the stench of the prequels hasn't fully washed off yet either. If Lucas & Co focused on quality over quantity then Star Wars might sell better and be anticipated more.

BTW, your avatar is strangely appropriate at this juncture.

Old 04 April 2013   #24
Originally Posted by Artbot: While it's sad to see something like this go away (and it was great in my five years there in the early 90s), they now have something far greater to answer to than Star Wars fans or the high expectations of gamers: Disney stockholders.

Disney aren't obligated to make animation, develop games, or even to produce quality sequels to one of the most popular film franchises of all time. They only exist to return a profit to the stockholders. Too bad all of the things that got them where they are now actually were once profitable. It seems money has become the enemy of creativity.

Old 04 April 2013   #25
Originally Posted by moogaloonie: Disney aren't obligated to make animation, develop games, or even to produce quality sequels to one of the most popular film franchises of all time. They only exist to return a profit to the stockholders. Too bad all of the things that got them where they are now actually were once profitable. It seems money has become the enemy of creativity.

While I find the current business models abhorrent, let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater. Just because they are beholden to profits for stockholders doesn't mean they are incapable of producing quality entertainment. I will wait and see what they do with the license, first.

I have the feeling that Disney will go to great lengths to make sure the films are far more watchable and entertaining than the Prequels were. As for games, they don't seem to have much of a grasp on them and have flailed around for years in that department. But it doesn't matter now, since most of the development risk will probably be shouldered by non-Disney companies. They are in much the same position Microsoft was when the Xbox was coming out: Dangle a carrot in front of a ton of devs, then hack and slash their way down to a couple of quality products at the finish line.

Old 04 April 2013   #26
Don't you find interesting the fact that in the 80's, Pixar was a property of Lucasfilm. The the almighty George Lucas sold Pixar to evil marketeer Steve Jobs. With John Lasseter in command and Jobs money, Pixar strived and suceeded as the reference animation studio of the 3D era. Pixar continuously grown with its films been distributed trough Disney's marketing apparatus! Then Disney bought Pixar for good. Put Lasseter as Animation CEO and now this... The world goes round and round! Anyways, it's been a long time since the last mildly playable Star Wars game. For me it makes sense to have 3D Party developers doing your stuff when you don't do it better...

Old 04 April 2013   #27
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread