Disney shuts down Lucasarts

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
Disney shuts down Lucasarts

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/04/03/d...oses-lucasarts/

Quote: Disney, which acquired Lucasfilm and LucasArts last year in a $4.05 billion acquisition, has shut down the legendary LucasArts division.

"After evaluating our position in the games market, we've decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company's risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games," Disney informed Game Informer in a statement. "As a result of this change, we've had layoffs across the organization. We are incredibly appreciative and proud of the talented teams who have been developing our new titles."

Although a Star Wars game factory in recent years, the publisher will be remembered for its work in defining the adventure genre from the '80s to the '90s on such titles as Maniac Mansion, The Secret of Monkey Island, Grim Fandango and Day of the Tentacle.

...developing...

I guess we will never see that awesome looking star wars game they showed last e3 anymore :(

Old 04 April 2013   #2
Part of my youth just died. On its way to the land of the dead.

Old 04 April 2013   #3
What a big surprise!

Old 04 April 2013   #4
Originally Posted by puch: What a big surprise!

Yea can't say it came as a surprise with Disney's track record with games.

Old 04 April 2013   #5
"minimizing the company's risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games"

We'll see. Other developers have made Star Wars games in the past but LucasArts WAS more than just Star Wars. What a bummer.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 04 April 2013   #6
what games lucasarts produced in the last ten years?
all the sw games like podracer, jedi knight or battlefront was licenced to other studios as far as i know. the awesome times of lucasarts are long, long away in a galaxy far, far away..., and there was no sign that these times will come back in the future.

Old 04 April 2013   #7
jedi knight 2 jedi outcast to this day is still the best/most fun online game ive ever played. My youth is sad

Old 04 April 2013   #8
I was really hoping to play Star Wars 1313...

What are they going to do with the sandcrawler building in Singapore?

Old 04 April 2013   #9
It's pity. I saw it and couldn't believe it, it was a promising game.

Old 04 April 2013   #10
The current word seems to be that the 2 SW games in development will be moved to outside devs or over to Disney Interactive. To be fair, LEC has been heading towards this publishing-only model for a long time. While it's sad to see something like this go away (and it was great in my five years there in the early 90s), they now have something far greater to answer to than Star Wars fans or the high expectations of gamers: Disney stockholders.

Old 04 April 2013   #11
Even though the last games of theirs I've ever played was Indiana Jones and Monkey Island series,
may I just very calmly and politely say, F**K YOU disney.

Animusing Productions
old animation stuff.

Old 04 April 2013   #12
The Mouse giveth, and the Mouse taketh away.

Lloyd Harvey
Twitter Me
www.lloydharvey.co.uk
www.oniworld.co.uk

Old 04 April 2013   #13
Shifting from internal development to licensing might not be all that bad. Just looking for an upside here. I can easily see them farming out older properties like Maniac Mansion to Telltale and such. Wouldn't quite be the same, but it'd be better than them leaving the game totally. Licensing is better than nothing.

I totally expected the Lucas acquisition to have some downsides. This wasn't that much of a surprise to me really. What WAS a surprise was when they more or left Marvel untouched after acquisition. Business is business. As much as it pains me to see Lucasarts disappear as a developer, I'm sure that Disney has a "big picture" to think about. Licensing and then reaping the rewards seems like the path of least resistance; License out the right property to the right devs.

Sad, but I remain hopeful.

Old 04 April 2013   #14
In memorium, I present the LEC marketing reel from sometime around 1993. I think I even have a couple of my Rebel Assault shots in there.

Old 04 April 2013   #15
Originally Posted by leif3d: I was really hoping to play Star Wars 1313...

What are they going to do with the sandcrawler building in Singapore?

Been trying to find out, but can't find out anything so far.

With the shutdown of Clone Wars and now this, only ILM Singapore will be left afaik. I hope they find something else for the animators to work on though...it was a pretty nice place when I was a wee intern there. :X Also I don't believe they have shifted to the new building yet, they are still based around Bedok (East side of the island) when I went back last year.

EDIT: http://www.todayonline.com/tech/gam...ngapore-reports

OK, so HOPEFULLY the LucasFilm and ILM divisions will stay. Then they just lose one floor of their office (LucasArts was upstairs and ILM/LucasFilm was downstairs when I was there about 3 years ago) :P

Last edited by sonictk : 04 April 2013 at 05:27 AM.

Thread Closed share thread