Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 03-29-2013, 05:58 AM   #1
Larrikin
Enthusiast

portfolio
David Monahan
Sydney, Australia

Motion Capture for Everyone

Motion Capture might soon be in the average animators reach..
Check this news item

Old 03-29-2013, 01:46 PM   #2
AangtheAvatar
Banned
portfolio
Aang Airbender
Air Temple, USA

Quote:
The Captury's system requires between five and 12 ordinary cameras – far fewer than a typical Hollywood motion capture studio – making it easier to set up and more affordable for projects in multiple fields, like video games, live sports, and medical research. It generates a digital skeleton composed of 58 joints that moves in sync with the person shot on video, in just a few milliseconds.

IPIsoft requires only 1 camera but can do 5 I believe. I think they are working on 2 Kinects as well. $400 basic $1000 Pro

IClone now has a mocap plugin that uses 1 Kinect. $139

Brekkel uses a kinect. May soon be using 2. Free

The Captury will have to come up with something cool to compete. It will have to affordable and have some very cool options. Or it will have to be super accurate.

It is cool seeing MOCAP come down in price and available to folks, either way you look at it.

This one looks interessting

Old 03-29-2013, 02:06 PM   #3
wildjj
Frequenter
portfolio
James Wayne
Quebec, Canada

These are all great developments in Motion Capture. It's fairly obvious this will keep getting more accessible and cheaper.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:29 PM   #4
Qslugs
Lord of the posts

Mike Foy
3d Artist/Animator
Raw Thrills
Oak Park, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AangtheAvatar
IPIsoft requires only 1 camera but can do 5 I believe. I think they are working on 2 Kinects as well. $400 basic $1000 Pro

Ipisoft advertises up to 6 ps3 cameras supported, however it can support up to 8. Kinects are limited to 2.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:46 PM   #5
Laa-Yosh
Edge looper

Tamas Varga
Lead character modeler
Digic Pictures
Hungary

I have to wonder about the quality of the data, and about capturing multiple people in the same volume. Those Vicon kits aren't made for nothing...

Old 03-29-2013, 04:31 PM   #6
mustique
Expert
copywriter

Mocap for everyone is the ultimate dream and seeing more apps that try to make it real is nice. But I'd also love to see different approaches from a hardware POV.

Tiny body markers with gyroscopes (like in smart phones) that communicate via WI-FI to capture data for example. Everybody seems to rely on video in one or another way.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:31 AM   #7
grrinc
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by AangtheAvatar

IClone now has a mocap plugin that uses 1 Kinect. $139

Brekkel uses a kinect. May soon be using 2. Free

The Captury will have to come up with something cool to compete. It will have to affordable and have some very cool options. Or it will have to be super accurate.

It is cool seeing MOCAP come down in price and available to folks, either way you look at it.

This one looks interessting

I have used all three. Ipisoft, Brekel and IClone. Only Ipisoft capture in high resolution and two performers simultaneously. But it is a tiresome, hit and miss affair that needs all 8 ps3 cameras that must be evenly distributed among the usb's. Plus a load of extra space for all the cameras to 'wrap around'. ( and dont get me started on calibration head aches ).

Brekel and IClone are only 'ok' if you are happy with basic ambient moves that are not too fast or energetic.

IMO, only Ipisoft deliver on the 'capture for the masses' promise - just.

The Capturary just needs to be accurate, able to capture high resolution action, able to capture multiple performers, and in realtime. That'll trump all the existing options. If they can do that for £400 to £500 quid maybe, I think it'll be worth it.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:16 PM   #8
ErikSvensson
Señor Animator

portfolio
Erik Svensson
Senior Animator
Guerrilla Games
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Send a message via MSN to ErikSvensson
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustique
Mocap for everyone is the ultimate dream and seeing more apps that try to make it real is nice. But I'd also love to see different approaches from a hardware POV.

Tiny body markers with gyroscopes (like in smart phones) that communicate via WI-FI to capture data for example. Everybody seems to rely on video in one or another way.

http://www.xsens.com/en/general/mvn

Problem with this is that heights and such aren't working very well. Also magnetic areas will affect the data as far as I know. But you only put on the suit and use a laptop so it's great for prototyping!

Old 03-31-2013, 01:41 AM   #9
smallone3d
Frequenter

portfolio
Cesar Soto
3d Artist
SCYmedia.com
Orlando, USA

[QUOTE=
Problem with this is that heights and such aren't working very well. Also magnetic areas will affect the data as far as I know. But you only put on the suit and use a laptop so it's great for prototyping![/QUOTE]

Yes, this is true. Also areas with heavy metallic surfaces (security walls, heavy doors etc) seem to interfere with the xsens. We use it and we have to always go to the first floor where there is less interference with the sensors and receivers.
Very portable and capable system, but more expensive then the other smaller systems mentioned above.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:41 AM   #10
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread