One Man Animates CG Feature w Trailer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #16
Originally Posted by whiteTigerLegend: hahaha, brilliant. your positivity cracks me the hell up. I can't help you Kanga, but I do hope you see the film, if only to break it down. Peace!

It's ok I don't need your help.
Tell me what work did you do on FF so that I might believe you more?

Last edited by Kanga : 03 March 2013 at 11:29 AM.

Old 03 March 2013   #17
Yes you're right Laa-Yosh. I think this is where we differ. I see a veggie tales movie grossing $30 million at the box office. A good positive message that inspires a lot of people. My film may not look as photoreal as many of the games do today, games that have bigger budgets than many films, but that was never my intention anyway. Hoodwinked grossed $50mil... and it looked like... it was finished. Imagine how good it could look with a proper budget? We're just getting started!

AangtheAvatar - its possible, I have all the pieces. A playblast is just a hardware render, the term comes from maya. I basically have a hardware rendered, low quality version of the film finished with a 5.1 surround temp audio mix. It can also be called a layout reel, story reel, or animation reel. It will take some ingenuity to figure out how to set up an automated pipeline, because 1500 shots at 2 days a piece would take 8 years to do individually. If I could get it down to 4 shots a day, it could be finished in a year.

Kanga - you'll find it no surprise that I was not a modeler nor involved with character at all on Final Fantasy. I was 20 at the time and was in Compositing at SquareUSA in Hawai'i, best place I've ever lived. On the next film "Animatrix" I was helping develop sentinel swarms for the Matrix films, in lighting. You can see how I have had difficulty getting my film greenlit, sitting in boardrooms looking like I'm 26, pitching to a group of people with the same 'disbelief.' And yet here I am here today, over halfway finished, having done more work than I thought possible.

Last edited by whiteTigerLegend : 03 March 2013 at 12:37 PM.

Old 03 March 2013   #18
Ah so I see.
In regards to FF I knew it already.

Old 03 March 2013   #19
Great work. This animation reminds me of the time when hair plugin doesn't exist yet.

Old 03 March 2013   #20
Kanga - how are you a forum leader? jesus, learn to be nice. give that a try for once. fucking a.

Old 03 March 2013   #21
What is up with the attitude in this thread? Have I missed something? Even a mod is being kind of a douche.

Great work so far. Instead of going from where you are right now to a final movie you should perhaps give the project some more time and work on a better looking trailer? One thing I would like to see is longer clips in the trailer, and fewer, right now it's clip clip clip and there isn't enough time to understand what it is you're seeing (maybe that is intentional though).

This one man thing is great, very inspirational. A lot of work in big studios I bet are overrated and some parts are there just because of all the people working on it. If you are alone you can make decisions which doesn't require time consuming approval among other things. 10 times the workforce doesn't equal a ten times better quality, and certainly doesn't mean you get a ten times better product.

Old 03 March 2013   #22
Thanks Sthu. the teaser was meant to be short an exciting without revealing too much. Tough making a trailer exciting without giving the whole movie away, ya know I will definitely take this into consideration on the next trailer, slowing it down a bit, showing more of the flow of the story. Will be more fun to show more. and yeah, you're right its a lot easier, and a lot quicker sometimes to be 1 instead of 10. just go go go! Thanks Sthu, I appreciate it!

Old 03 March 2013   #23
There is no cause for swearing.
I am trying to help you.
You should not be announcing work like this in news, you should be getting help on the quality in the wip area. I assume you want to sell the movie. I think the work I have seen wont sell. I also applaude people who tackle something big on their own but I dont believe just because of the attempt, that the person doing the work is undeserving of honest reactions regarding the quality of that work.

There is no osmosis regarding creating a product (refering top your FF comment which has absolutely nothing to do with the work we have seen). You need to learn modelling, rigging, lighting, animation, writing and just about everything in the trailer. If you argue the point of the quality of the work you have done then you are missing the point of the comments you are getting.

Remarks on the origin of my modship wont help increase the quality of your work either.
Dont get me wrong, bad stuff sells like the youtube guy who has his own awful sitcom. That kind of thing can workl for live action but it never works for media like cgfilms.

It's just what I think, take it or leave it.

Old 03 March 2013   #24
kanga, I don't know which side of bed you got out on as you usually seem like a cool guy, but your attitiude towards the poster is pretty offensive - I mean in the snarky one line posts. No need for it. The guy is trying something which not many of us have the drive and balls to do, and I think it deserves a little respect.

Yeah the modelling and rigging (especially the face) is fugly, but the lighting/rendering is better than a lot of productions out there, and the body animation/mocap is pretty impressive for a one man show. Keep on going dude - just find someone to help with the character rigs!

Old 03 March 2013   #25
Thanks Mattmos! will find someone! There is time!

Old 03 March 2013   #26
Kanga - how are you a forum leader? jesus, learn to be nice. give that a try for once. fucking a.

Yes watch mouth. I noticed you have 10 posts so you might now know the entire drill. Just go under main forum and check out anything related to one man films. There is almost an animosity and a defeatest attitude when it comes to personal film making. If it don't look like Pixar it ain't worth viewing. So don't take it too personal. In fact come to think of it normal movies get chewed up and spit out. Treat it like a buffet. Use the comments you can use to improve or take another look at. Buffet - take it or leave it. Don't let it discourage you.

Like the Officer told Jack Sparrow.
"Your the worst pirate I ever heard of"
Jack: Aaah but you have heard of me!

Finish this movie and you've made a movie. On to the next movie. Simply take the good comments with the bad comments. You can glean alot especially from the bad comments. You know where to imrpove. Ignore the that sucks comments if that is all they are saying. Eat up the constructive criticism. Once you get the movie done move on to the next and simply make it better. You can only get better. So while one person is working on their 5 minute short with 20 people that looks like Pixar for 5 years, you are already on your 3rd movie that is now starting to look more like Pixar.

There was a short that came out R'ha. Looked great but folks were hating on that. It didn't look good enough for them. Check it out in the main forum.

Truth is haters gonna hate.

It's a real shame that it's not voice-acted in Mandarin and sub-titled to whatever country it's watched in.
There is nothing worse than American accents in 'non-American' stories.

Agreed. That would have made it a little cooler.

If you think you have a good story, chose a format to tell it that you can execute well.
There are plenty of other options.

Disagreed. Tell the story the way you want to tell it and in a way that works toward your goals. What options is there really? Book, comic, game, stage play. Honestly not that many options.

Books are fine and good but I personally don't like explaining EVERYTHING. The book is always better but then again people love visuals that is why they flock to movies "based on the book"

Comics great way to tell a visual story but if your goal is money forget it. High startup cost. Printing fees are off the chart. Diamond wants a 2000 cut to get it in the distributor lists plus for you to mark it down 50%. Not a good way to make a buck. Great way to incubate a story, refine it and get attention. You can go webcomic of course but if your comic is going to be 3d like your movie then why not just go ahead and animate it.

Stage play...high start up cost and long term commitment.

Game probably will still look like your movie but now you have to find a programmer.

Stick with the way you want to tell a story.

The modeling and the animation are so horrible right now that they distract the viewer and noone's gonna bother watching even 10 minutes of it.

There are actually some really great shots in your animation. You do some great compositing and depth of field work. The backgrounds are great. I think the main character needs a little work in his shoulder area and his lips. The lips are killing it. So true the modeling needs some work.

Professional eyes are going to look at this animation a lot more differantly and be more critical.
For example or R'ha animation. Looks great but professionals saw every tweak and mistake and pointed it out. Average audiences didn't have the same problem.

When M Dot Strange made "WE ARE THE STRANGE" most people here would say and did say it looks like crap. Yet wired magazine said "A film made for $20,000 but looks like it was made with 70 million"
http://www.wired.com/entertainment/...7/09/pl_strange
His "ugly" looking film made it to Sundance. IT has connected with an audience and he has adoring fans.

The average viewer does not need super high quality we see the big boys doing.
We leave in the youtube age. We want to be entertained. A good story is what truly entertains. Visuals are great and there is a sort of threashold of quality you need to reach but past that just have fun. You gave great examples of movies that though not of Pixar quality made millions of dollars. So that unwatchable point is really a moot point.

Here is another example
http://www.youtube.com/user/nigahiga
These guys make sucky looking videos. They are no where near as good looking sketches as say Saturday Night Live...yet...they get as many viewers as Saturday night live.

Granted again there is a threshold of quality that you probably want to reach and in some of those shots I think you have. I say finish your movie and improve the next.

I was thinking you probably could have used Zbrushed morph Poser models to match the quality of Final Fantasy in this movie since you were doing mostly people.

The guy who did a short called "Rosa" used Daz models. Looked pretty good. Definately watchable by the eye of the people.

Now how can we help getting your film rendered?

Old 03 March 2013   #27
Originally Posted by whiteTigerLegend: My film may not look as photoreal as many of the games do today, games that have bigger budgets than many films, but that was never my intention anyway.

It's not that it doesn't look photoreal, it's that it looks bad. Annoyingly bad, enough to make people not care about what the story might be.

South Park isn't photoreal either, but it's not so bad that people can't watch it. Choose your medium well, that is the lesson.

Old 03 March 2013   #28
Thanks AangtheAvatar. The greatest help so far has been getting views, which is what was needed before getting on the phone next week to try and get funds. The feedback from the community has been great too, and I agree with your post too and thanks for that. haters gonna hate! haha, its all good though. Will definitely make improvements, and I'm feeling really good considering the story part is finished and rock solid, where i've spent the most time. the look of the film, well it looks it its going to need some more work But this was just the launching pad I was looking for, and its all very motivating! I did enjoy R'ha, and hope that the artist does well, and well for himself! It is difficult to make something, and still keep a piece of the pie when you first start!

to complete the rendering there is ResPower for the farm, they are awesome. And Phasespace was awesome to use for Mocap btw, they were great the active markers. I was able to do the previs without even cleaning up any data, it was 90% good to go, and useable right away. The next step for me is to get a budget, which is the goal of the trailer. The bonus was getting this feedback to make it even more awesome. Ideally I will not have to finish it myself, 100 min of mocap should be enough! haha. That being said, I will not give up, and if I have to go it alone, I will! never give up! Cheers Aang!

Old 03 March 2013   #29
Rough crowd in here,I myself liked the action in this. I was also not put off by the modeling yes it needs work but I would not call it unwatchable. I think with some tweaking he will have a solid production. But who am I?

Old 03 March 2013   #30
Originally Posted by Laa-Yosh: It's not that it doesn't look photoreal, it's that it looks bad. Annoyingly bad, enough to make people not care about what the story might be.

South Park isn't photoreal either, but it's not so bad that people can't watch it. Choose your medium well, that is the lesson.

+1.

Most people seem to be too carried away with photorealism, when it comes to %100 cg films. If you have a good story, it will sell itself even if you just use black&white surface shaders but never the other way around. Good luck.

Thread Closed share thread