3dsMax 2014

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2013
this release has only 2 actual new features:

1. Vector textures

2. Crowds

$600 to ADSK.

Hey, they had to pay a lot for the re-branding effort

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by doCHtor: With every release of Max, Blender seems like a more viable option.
Or Cinema 4D. Much friendlier environment.

03 March 2013
I'm so happy to have ditched my AD subscription, absolutely no regrets in doing so now.

Cheers,

J

(wow - just noticed this was my 666th post as well!)

Certified Softimage Instructor
Ask about our 3D Scanning Services!

Meshmasters.com

03 March 2013
deleted because of beta string in url ...

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by strangerthings: Big Features
Crowd animation.
Useful in a lot of ways… but no seating options! Gotta save something for 2015 I suppose.

The problem is, it will most likely not be improved with max 2015. It will stay like this forever, and at some point be abandoned, or replaced with something entirely different. This is what usually happens with new integrated plugins.

03 March 2013
what about the SDK?

is plugin compatibility broken?

03 March 2013
There was no SDK break this time so all 2013 plugins should work fine in 2014.

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by DanHibiki: New logo though. That's something.

Agreed! I hate it when people moan about "new features" and "cost" and forget the bigger picture!

Personally if I was paying for Max I wouldn't have upgraded for years and would of probably looked at Blender or Modo by now. Its not like Max is actually particularly good at anything being honest?

www.willelliott.co.uk

Polycount Checker Max script

03 March 2013
I thought I had lowered my expectations enough not to be disappointed. I was wrong. I have the premium suite so I paid about $1000 just to renew. Looking at what I am getting for that $1000 makes me sick.

03 March 2013
I was expecting some features like this. You start up both Maya and Max. Then speak to your microphone:

"Maya, get me a character of a little Asian girl, about 7 years old, 3.5 heads high, a little chubby, with a ponytail, wearing a polkadot dress". The base little girl is created for you.

"Maya, make her run, a little unsure cute run with outdoor noon lighting".

"Maya, transfer this to Max and texture her with clear complexion".

Then you would only sit back and tweak here and there. I think most of this is possible. Why keep pulling vertices and polygons, creating bones, binding skins, projection this and that, and merging seams and moving lights in a primitive way after all these years.

We need to change our traditional ways of thinking. Then, the software will change for us.

Last edited by rock : 03 March 2013 at 02:30 AM.

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by rock: I was expecting some features like this. You start up both Maya and Max. Then speak to your microphone:

"Maya, get me a character of a little Asian girl, about 7 years old, 3.5 heads high, a little chubby, with a ponytail, wearing a polkadot dress". The base little girl is created for you.

Then you would only sit back and tweak here and there. I think most of this is possible. Why keep pulling vertices and polygons, creating bones, binding skins, projection this and that, and merging seams and moving lights in a primitive way after all these years.

We need to change our traditional ways of thinking. Then, the software will change for us.

Is this a joke post?

03 March 2013
lmao!!! that post was amazing...Maya and Max I need an Optimus Prime character running through the forest...wait a little slower...now fast...now never mind...quit! best post of the day!

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by Blazer: Hey, they had to pay a lot for the re-branding effort

Good thing they got that HP sponsorship!

Vimeo Videos
Daniel Broadway

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by rock: I was expecting some features like this. You start up both Maya and Max. Then speak to your microphone:

So basically, you're looking to become redundant and out of a job, yes?

03 March 2013
I agree that the genuine new features are always scarce with each new version of 3ds max. But on the other hand I don't feel like bashing on it every year for every release. Because at the end, the truth is that I always get my job done and I'm overall satisfied with the product. The only true improvement that I expect is on overall stability, nothing more.
Now, I must say that I do only archviz. For this particular use, the toolset of 3ds max plus some plugins gives me a combination that has no equivalent in other 3d packages I tried. But I can easily understand that in other fields like character animation users can feel frustrated.

Thread Closed share thread