Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 03-29-2013, 11:16 AM   #46
nimajneb
Frequenter

Benjamin A. Slack
Artist / Animator
nimajneb.com
Kalamazoo, USA

Have to agree. The original Maya logo was fine, I don't know why companies feel the need to reinvent the wheel every couple years.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:22 PM   #47
cresshead
pro 3d scribbler

portfolio
stephen gilbert
3d designer/animator
United Kingdom

Send a message via AIM to cresshead Send a message via Yahoo to cresshead
the new icons all look the same because Autodesk do not want to sell you or have you subscribe to 1 app...they want you to subscribe to a suite.

also long term they are training your brain to 1 icon design as only 1 app for sale will remain in their lineup the "3d suite of tools".

watch the autodesk chap talk over and over about suites.

http://www.autodesk.com/suites/ente...-suite/overview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-kx...eature=youtu.be

http://www.cresshead.com
youtube channel:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/cresshead

"zero stones - zero crates"

Old 03-29-2013, 01:18 PM   #48
goatrape
Frequenter

Jonathan Colvin
Graphic Designer
Sarasota, USA

loved the old alias maya logo...wow...just feeling my age all the sudden. You kids with your ipads and your rock or roll music

Seriously though, creating a very relative similar logo designs throughout your entire product lineup; entertainment, cad, etc is very confusing. They all start blending together and (for example) the new maya logo looks like the one of the CAD ones (this isnt accurate, just stating it as an example of repetition that will kill a brand before it can be sold...not the AD has much to worry about...this just feels like a slap in the face to the users. Look at Adobe, simple yet effective. Photoshop logo is Ps in a blue box, Illustrator is Ai in an orange...yes Adobe changed the logos to this years back but they did it with simplicity, readability and aesthetics...and tada anyone who sees the 2 letters in a colored box know exactly what product it is and who made it...without it being shoved in their face like the ever so many car brands we see everyday....the are just simple and are something to be expected from a company that excels in design Im not saying AD should follow suite, but their new ones just dont make sense and they should have had some more fore thought.

Understandably there is always going to be an uproar when consumers are faced with a change in branding...then we all settle and move on...some might stay a bit pissed like myself...but i just feel that they dont care because they can slap whatever they want on the label and know that we will still come back to it like a bad addiction...whereas i feel like the small guys; modo, blender, listen a bit more to their user group. I know none of the is relevant in the grand scheme of things, im just a long time user and hobbyist just throwing in my 2 cents...again on this topic lol

Oh, sorry, and what REALLY pisses me of is the absolute no collation between their own logo and the new product ones...could they not treat their own logo like everyone of their products'? I will use Adobe again as an example, their own logo..currently..is not quite EXACTLY like their product lineup, but the consumer can spot similarities in the simplicity and shapes if you compared them. Their product logos use very little color information, square/rectangular format and same font. I would say their own logo is more similar to the Acrobat one as that is their most identifiable product. But they dont take shite on the other logos. Just makes more sense to have it all look like a cohesive company...dear god i think im done ranting

Old 03-30-2013, 01:17 AM   #49
DuttyFoot
Expert

stephen curah
USA

Quote:
loved the old alias maya logo...wow...just feeling my age all the sudden. You kids with your ipads and your rock or roll music

those posters with the maya logos bring back good memories
looking at both my maya 6 and 7 boxes now

Old 03-30-2013, 06:16 AM   #50
Zeddicus
Nothing is ever easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasho90
If you have more than one Adesk product on your desktop, how are you going to distinguish them? You will certainly have a hard time starting the right program when all the icons look the same.

Thankfully it only takes a couple of mouse clicks to change the icon of a shortcut in Windows (yeah I know, it's the principle of the thing).

Old 03-30-2013, 06:16 AM   #51
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread