Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 03-26-2013, 06:29 PM   #31
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

I found it pretty funny that when you click on "whats the future of softimage" the guy in the video looks like he is being held hostage all nervous and it ends with this freeze frame on screen:

It really says it all.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:39 PM   #32
goatrape
Frequenter

Jonathan Colvin
Graphic Designer
Sarasota, USA

yeah and so obvious he is reading the cue cards

Old 03-26-2013, 08:32 PM   #33
calilifestyle
Renown Voice of Reason

portfolio
none
USA

http://area.autodesk.com/2014unfold....html#whats-new
I find this funny in away. he says "There are a lot of grawww new features in 3ds" lol

Old 03-27-2013, 12:35 AM   #34
DuttyFoot
Expert

stephen curah
USA

do you think those guys really wanted to do those videos?

Quote:
From an award winning design software company i would think they could come up with something a bit more respectable? For example, love modo's logo design, clean, simple and easy to read from a short and far distance....and you dont have to have the company name written out in the logo to get the branding. A simple design and the viewer knows exactly who or what it is. Sorry to rant, but i do this for a living and its is irritating seeing big companies do things like this...it takes away the passion for their own product :(

you couldn't have said it better.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:54 AM   #35
ThirdEye
PinealGlandOptics

CGSociety Member
Alberto Blasi
Architect & Graphic Designer
Milan, Italy

The origami idea was a very good one imho, but the execution is just meh

Old 03-27-2013, 01:14 AM   #36
McNistor
intergalactic alien

McNistor
Romania

The old logos looked fine. No, not fine, they looked great.
This is another example when "suits" come in and start making decisions regarding things that they most likely have no connection with (as in expertise).

I'm pretty sure this was not the first thing that the person/s that created these logos came up with, but after many revisions a "suit" decided this what they wanted. That, or whoever made this set of logos is simply bad.

The website is a good change for the better, however the identity of the apps could have been kept, by making the 3dsMax's snakes, Maya's dragon, Mudbox's fox and Softimage's X thingy in tune with the (highly over-rated imo) Metro style.

Change for the sake of change is silly and shallow.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:28 AM   #37
pipdixel
Frequenter

portfolio
JTK
USA

I work with web developers most days, everything is Metro to them. Apple OS will be metro soon, android is metro...windows will probably be, they are just getting on board. Waiting for adobe to be thin, grey, and white...it'll happen. Anyway, looks modern to me, their website was a mess. I don't care for the fold idea, doesn't make sense to me anyway....but any logo for Maya that doesn't say Alias|Wavefront makes me a little sad....

Old 03-27-2013, 01:41 AM   #38
Als
Expert
portfolio
Aleksandar Stiglic
digital artist, 3D
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNistor
The old logos looked fine. No, not fine, they looked great.
This is another example when "suits" come in and start making decisions regarding things that they most likely have no connection with (as in expertise).

I'm pretty sure this was not the first thing that the person/s that created these logos came up with, but after many revisions a "suit" decided this what they wanted. That, or whoever made this set of logos is simply bad.

The website is a good change for the better, however the identity of the apps could have been kept, by making the 3dsMax's snakes, Maya's dragon, Mudbox's fox and Softimage's X thingy in tune with the (highly over-rated imo) Metro style.

Change for the sake of change is silly and shallow.

Quoting for agreement.
There is no sound on any of these videos. I can see them, but I can't hear them...

Als

VFX rule no. 387
# Just redo it!

Old 03-27-2013, 07:39 AM   #39
Nemoid
This IS a cow

Nemoid
Illustrator, Comic book artist, Storyteller
Italy

web is fine, but hey, logos look crap ! old logos had an identity and an artistic feel, those ones are just boredom. all equal nothing artistic. Ok maybe the design gives a sense they belong to the same company, but c'mon !! only reason would be if all the 3D apps at least would have complete interoperability which is not the case.
Also never liked how they bury Softimage. Meh.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:51 PM   #40
lucericr
PRO

portfolio
Luc-Eric
Maya UI Team
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Als
There is no sound on any of these videos. I can see them, but I can't hear them...

sorry, which video has no sound?

Old 03-28-2013, 06:24 PM   #41
Larry_g1s
Sinner Saved by Grace

portfolio
Larry Vasquez
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandykoufax
Autodesk logo is good, products logos are all bad.
Agreed. Maya's...

Old 03-28-2013, 06:27 PM   #42
Larry_g1s
Sinner Saved by Grace

portfolio
Larry Vasquez
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepFactory
I found it pretty funny that when you click on "whats the future of softimage" the guy in the video looks like he is being held hostage all nervous and it ends with this freeze frame on screen:

It really says it all.
ha ha. It's like they put this video up to get people to not like the product. Anti-marketing.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:16 PM   #43
musashidan
Bar Stool Enthusiast

portfolio
Daniel McGrath
Dublin, Ireland

I sincerely believe that if Adesk changed to a softer toilet paper there would be a ten page thread debate here.......... but, when in Rome...

The new logos are absolutely atrocious!! what on Earth is going on at that shop? It looks like they just created one(horrible) logo, used every possible permutation of flip horizontal/vertical and rotate cw/ccw in Photoshop, slapped them on different products and hit the golf course.

The only possible conclusion I can draw is that the designer was coming to his deadline, sitting under his guillotine...I mean sitting at his desk, and in a moment of clarity thought, "why don't I just copy these beautiful symbols on my keyboard? That way I only have to choose a few as many of the products begin with the same letter....brilliant!"

Old 03-29-2013, 10:03 AM   #44
Sasho90
Huh?

portfolio
Alexander Mitov
Blagoevgrad, Bulgaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by musashidan
I sincerely believe that if Adesk changed to a softer toilet paper there would be a ten page thread debate here.......... but, when in Rome...

The new logos are absolutely atrocious!! what on Earth is going on at that shop? It looks like they just created one(horrible) logo, used every possible permutation of flip horizontal/vertical and rotate cw/ccw in Photoshop, slapped them on different products and hit the golf course.

The only possible conclusion I can draw is that the designer was coming to his deadline, sitting under his guillotine...I mean sitting at his desk, and in a moment of clarity thought, "why don't I just copy these beautiful symbols on my keyboard? That way I only have to choose a few as many of the products begin with the same letter....brilliant!"

So true! I mean... If you have more than one Adesk product on your desktop, how are you going to distinguish them? You will certainly have a hard time starting the right program when all the icons look the same. Just look at them. Alias and Autocad & Max and Maya have the same logos, man! A 15 year's old would have designed more creative logos in MS Paint. Now, since the new Adesk releases have almost no new features added we know where all the subscription money went - in the creation of these "ground breaking" logos.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:50 AM   #45
SebKaine
Expert

portfolio
Emmanuel Mouillet
Fx Artist
Freelance
Paris, FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasho90
So true! I mean... If you have more than one Adesk product on your desktop, how are you going to distinguish them? You will certainly have a hard time starting the right program when all the icons look the same. Just look at them. Alias and Autocad & Max and Maya have the same logos, man! A 15 year's old would have designed more creative logos in MS Paint. Now, since the new Adesk releases have almost no new features added we know where all the subscription money went - in the creation of these "ground breaking" logos.

Would you prefer something Darker , with a little touch of Bad-ass attitude ?

Maybe more something like this ?

or this ?

Thread Closed share thread