Modo 701 new features tour, 701 is available right now.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #31
Wow...that certainly makes a change!

So with current exchange rate probably about 1000 for Modo ..about 1 third the price of C4D R14...nice!

Now I just need a demo of 701 to play with.

Old 03 March 2013   #32
Originally Posted by manuel: They are indeed one of those rare companies. You pay them in dollars, the only premium is the exchange rate your credit card charges.

Didn't see any VAT appearing on my invoice.

Was that purchase current or prior to Lux/Foundry merge? I think I've read somewhere that due to the location of Foundry HQ or something, VAT need to be applied. But better ask Lux themselves.

Old 03 March 2013   #33
Does Modo have the help online so that one might investigate what features it possesses or lack?

Old 03 March 2013   #34
Originally Posted by oatz: Does Modo have the help online so that one might investigate what features it possesses or lack?

http://docs.luxology.com/modo/701/help/index.html

http://www.luxology.com/training/

Old 03 March 2013   #35
Originally Posted by oatz: Does Modo have the help online so that one might investigate what features it possesses or lack?

this is what i got for googling "modo 701 online manual".

http://docs.luxology.com/modo/701/help/index.html

I don't know it Lux meant it to be public or not. But there you go.

Old 03 March 2013   #36
Yes it's meant to be public. Peruse at your own leisure!

Old 03 March 2013   #37
Originally Posted by fablefox: Was that purchase current or prior to Lux/Foundry merge? I think I've read somewhere that due to the location of Foundry HQ or something, VAT need to be applied. But better ask Lux themselves.

I purchased my copy of 701 this monday. Well after the merger.

Old 03 March 2013   #38
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: Amazing release!

http://www.luxology.com/modo/701/tour/
Agreed.
I've been really enjoying using this app, the company behind it, and the development of the product.

Old 03 March 2013   #39
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: Yea from the videos it looks like I can finally animate in modo. There are some REALLY nice tools in there. I just installed 701, going to try and rig a simple ball with legs rig and do some test animations to see how the workflow is. I have a lot to learn
Please post here and/or the Luxology forums. I too have tried animating in modo, and though I really like the app, the character animation setup was challenging (particularly compared to Maya). But 701 looks to be much more improved.

Old 03 March 2013   #40
Originally Posted by Novakog: Yes it's meant to be public. Peruse at your own leisure!

So you're Novakog. I'm El Burritoh. This is confusing. We should all just use our real names.

Old 03 March 2013   #41
Originally Posted by Burritoh: So you're Novakog. I'm El Burritoh. This is confusing. We should all just use our real names.

Hehe. I actually wish I could change my user name to just be my real name, but I don't think CGTalk/CGS allows changing user names.

Old 03 March 2013   #42
Originally Posted by Larry_g1s: Please post here and/or the Luxology forums. I too have tried animating in modo, and though I really like the app, the character animation setup was challenging (particularly compared to Maya). But 701 looks to be much more improved.

I am really loving modo 7. Animation is definitely much improved, though some things are missing coming from maya:

-I haven't found a way to set a time range to playblast easily like in maya which is just shift drag on the timeline to paint a range and right click > playblast

-I haven't found a way to scale keys in the graph editor, like just select keys > scale > click drag. Maya's retime tool is a huge time saver and I would love to see one in modo as well.

-I miss grease pencil, a lot.

-I can't figure out how to tell modo to only update the viewport I am interacting with. When I am doing a time scrub on the camera view I don't want the perspective view to update at the same time because it slows everything down. And I would love to have an option to hide/move the time scrub box from the bottom of the viewport and have a way to slow down the mouse sensitivity by holding down ctrl + rmb or something because it is way too fast.

I have a bunch of other little gripes but none of this stuff is stuff that is hard to fix or add. It is a pretty decent animation system from what I have used.

Old 03 March 2013   #43
Hey Ali, as far as all the viewports updating goes... until a solution comes along, a cheat that might work is to turn off Deformers in the viewports you don't want updated (viewport options). This will only work with deformed geo of course, but it might help. I wish there was something like a bounding box display mode (I mean per viewport, not per mesh item like we have now).

Old 03 March 2013   #44
Ali - for viewport updating during playback, try turning off "Hot Scrubbing" in the viewport options ("O" key over a viewport, or the gear button in the top right). That will pretty much completely disable it while playing an animation, and it will lazily update (wait until you stop moving) while scrubbing.

You can scale keys in the graph editor using Ctrl + RMB + Drag, or Shift + RMB + Drag (Ctrl scales based on the end of your selection closest to your mouse, shift scales centered on the key closed to your mouse). It's an omission in the docs of the graph editor, but it's in the docs for the gradient editor (which is mostly the same thing).

I think you're right about the time haul tool being too sensitive, and it would be good to be able to hide it. It would also be good to have a faster way to set a playback range.

Last edited by Novakog : 03 March 2013 at 02:10 AM.

Old 03 March 2013   #45
can you paint selection sin modo yet? i know you can raycast but i mean paint select with an adjusteable brush size...was so annoying last time i tried it and it didnt have that

Thread Closed share thread