CGTalk > Main > News
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 03-26-2013, 12:04 AM   #16
strangerthings
Expert

A Roberts
Kingston upon Thame, United Kingdom

Looks Amazing. Never Used Modo... . This looks incredible, but can I be bothered to learn another application

Gave up Learnt Lightwave then Max gave that up for Maya and now mainly use C4D for the awesome interface (and it's still the only 3d app you can use multiple documents easily in) and while I love Cinmea, UI performance is rubbish.

To Modo Or To Nodo?

Old 03-26-2013, 12:39 AM   #17
grrinc
Expert

I am seriously impressed and sold.... but...

whenever a new and exciting Modo release is announced, it doesn't take long for reports of bugs and errors to follow. I understand that most releases are in need of patching etc, but Modo seems to get more flak then most.

Am I right?

Old 03-26-2013, 01:13 AM   #18
Mattoo
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Matt Painter
3D artist - Generalist
London, United%2BKingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrinc

whenever a new and exciting Modo release is announced, it doesn't take long for reports of bugs and errors to follow. I understand that most releases are in need of patching etc, but Modo seems to get more flak then most.

Am I right?

I've been using Modo for 95% of all my work (through modelling, texturing, animation and rendering) for the last 5 years and I've found it no more unstable than the previous 5 years I spent using Maya 5 days a week through 3 versions. So no, I don't really understand that comment.
Certainly by the final few service packs of each generation of Modo it becomes very stable indeed.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:27 AM   #19
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrinc

Am I right?

601 was a wreck on release. I tried the demo and it randomly crashed a lot. So far 701 has been rock stable, I have been using it non stop since this morning and haven't had a single crash. Really happy with the stability so far.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:36 AM   #20
oatz
particle wrangler
Khye Kading
Khye Kading S.P.
Ankeny, USA

It does look impressive. What is the Foundry's role in Modo's development? Was it a hands-off acquisition or do they influence development?

Also, I think if Modo wants to start to take a chunk out of other DCC's userbase (which I'm willing), it'd be nice to see some migration PR or pricing for existing users of other DCCs, Like when Adobe went after the Final Cut X users.

A 15-day or 30-day (paid) demo is not enough time for me to diagnose if I can comfortably switch. I hope they adopt a Nuke PLE model so I could investigate in sporadic downtime situations.

Downloading now...

Old 03-26-2013, 02:42 AM   #21
Kabab
Lord of the posts

portfolio
babak sanayei
Director
Vizual Element
Australia

The Foundry did the Linux port according to the modcast they did that project to test the waters before they decided to merge as way to make sure both companies would work well as one entity....

Old 03-26-2013, 02:53 AM   #22
Novakog
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Andrew Helmer
Software Engineer
Google
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabab
The Foundry did the Linux port according to the modcast they did that project to test the waters before they decided to merge as way to make sure both companies would work well as one entity....

Yup. The new features of 701 were developed entirely by the original Lux crew (the exact same team that did 601), while Foundry developers (Tom Ward, in particular) did the Linux OS layer. The Foundry crew also helped out on general bug fixing later in the development cycle.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:23 AM   #23
Zeddicus
Nothing is ever easy.

I'm having trouble accessing the 701 tour right now. Does anyone know whether they implemented Ptex support yet? If so, is it compatible with subdivision? I really expected this to find it's way into modo 601 and was pretty disappointed when it didn't. Considering Mari has supported it for a while now, I'd find it very odd if it still hasn't been added.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:40 AM   #24
Novakog
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Andrew Helmer
Software Engineer
Google
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeddicus
I'm having trouble accessing the 701 tour right now. Does anyone know whether they implemented Ptex support yet? If so, is it compatible with subdivision? I really expected this to find it's way into modo 601 and was pretty disappointed when it didn't. Considering Mari has supported it for a while now, I'd find it very odd if it still hasn't been added.

Sorry Zeddicus, there's no Ptex support yet. Of course it is something we want to implement, but it didn't make it onto the list for this release.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:05 AM   #25
Zeddicus
Nothing is ever easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novakog
Sorry Zeddicus, there's no Ptex support yet. Of course it is something we want to implement, but it didn't make it onto the list for this release.

That's a pity. Maybe 801 then, perhaps. I'm watching all of the sneak peaks you posted and I have to say modo 701 is pretty darn amazing. I'm really impressed at how easy it is to learn modo as well. Goodbye Autodesk, hello Luxology.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:23 AM   #26
Hawksmoor
Miscreant

Games Artist

Looks great! Only thing putting me off taking the plunge is it still is missing a few games specific things which don't seem to have been touched in this release. Maybe 801 as I'd love a competitor of autodesk to really seize that market.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:09 PM   #27
malax
Frequenter
Ma La
Wild West, United Kingdom

There's a lot to like there....for a nearly ex c4d-er who's looking to move.

Any ideas when the 701 demo will be available ?

....and maybe a silly question but what is the UK price ?
I can only seem to find USD prices for electronic purchase...or maybe is Luxology one of those rare software companies that charges you the same no matter where you live ?

Cheers,
mala

Old 03-26-2013, 03:19 PM   #28
Kabab
Lord of the posts

portfolio
babak sanayei
Director
Vizual Element
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by malax
There's a lot to like there....for a nearly ex c4d-er who's looking to move.

Any ideas when the 701 demo will be available ?

I can only seem to find USD prices for electronic purchase...or maybe is Luxology one of those rare software companies that charges you the same no matter where you live ?

Cheers,
mala

Luxology are indeed a rare company

Old 03-26-2013, 03:21 PM   #29
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

I believe someone said you have to pay VAT on top of the price on the lux site if you are in Europe.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #30
manuel
Know-it-All

Manu Roig
London, United%2BKingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by malax

They are indeed one of those rare companies. You pay them in dollars, the only premium is the exchange rate your credit card charges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepFactory
I believe someone said you have to pay VAT on top of the price on the lux site if you are in Europe.
Didn't see any VAT appearing on my invoice.

Thread Closed share thread