McNistor
intergalactic alien

McNistor
Romania

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatz
From Page 75

Softimage isn't even listed. Ouch.

Of course not. For most people like chow here, Softimage is in the "etc." after Max/Maya/
It's a shame people pick up a program and don't try something else, like Softimage for example. They don't know what they miss and this a problem that's both on us the community and Adsk for their crappy marketing regarding Softimage.

Last edited by McNistor : 03-25-2013 at 06:48 PM.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:01 PM   #62
cresshead
pro 3d scribbler

portfolio
stephen gilbert
3d designer/animator
United Kingdom

Send a message via AIM to cresshead Send a message via Yahoo to cresshead
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNistor
Of course not. For most people like chow here, Softimage is in the "etc." after Max/Maya/
It's a shame people pick up a program and don't try something else, like Softimage for example. They don't know what they miss and this a problem that's both on us the community and Adsk for their crappy marketing regarding Softimage.

i tried xsi 4 foundation waay back when, but didn't find anything worth while staying with it so kept 3dsmax as my main app.

http://www.cresshead.com
youtube channel:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/cresshead

"zero stones - zero crates"

Old 03-25-2013, 08:06 PM   #63
doffer
Keying everything

portfolio
Christoffer Andersen
Animator
Valence, France

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNistor

How do you know what people try and don't try?
Perhaps people gives it a try but ends up with something more to their taste

Old 03-25-2013, 08:28 PM   #64
Rez007
Expert

portfolio
Rudy Gjurkovic
Mobile Games, Digital Artist, Designer and Animator
Co-Founder of 2GMG (2 Guys Making Games) and RG3D | www.rg3d.com
Mesquite, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cresshead
i tried xsi 4 foundation waay back when, but didn't find anything worth while staying with it so kept 3dsmax as my main app.

Foundation was a greatly dialed down version of XSI back then, so it could release at a very low price-point and target a different audience, I think it was like $750 or so. Foundation no longer exists anymore as they only have the full version of Softimage available. Comparing a dialed down version of XSI to a full-blown version of Max back then, is not really at the same benchmark, so I can see why you chose Max...the full-blown Softimage has much, much more offerings.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:36 PM   #65
ace63
Veteran
portfolio
Leo Quensel
Junior TD
Parasol Island
Mülheim an der Ruhr, Germany

Send a message via ICQ to ace63
This makes me so sick - everyone I show Softimage to is super-impressed. However no one knows it since Autodesk decided to slowly let it die.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:49 PM   #66
McNistor
intergalactic alien

McNistor
Romania

Quote:
Originally Posted by doffer
How do you know what people try and don't try?
Perhaps people gives it a try but ends up with something more to their taste

I know people that opened it and played around a bit and of course if you do only that you run right back at your old app.
But as soon as you start really digging into it and perhaps even do a project, you'll never go back to where you're coming from. Well, at least that was my experience when I've tried XSI being a 3dsMax user. At first I was trying to make it work like 3dsMax, but in time I've embraced Softimage's workflow and now I'm addicted to it.

Last edited by McNistor : 03-25-2013 at 09:03 PM.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:54 PM   #67
Bullit
Lord of the posts

Quote:

For me was the contrary. I changed to Softimage from Max. because of modeling even if at time there wasn't still the tweak component tool or (M tool) in Softimage at that time http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EYfUR1S_Fc. the modeling was already more direct. M tool when it appeared improved even more. Also if i get a primitive i can started editing, don't need to put an edit poly modifier.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:01 PM   #68
Airflow
(212) 555-2368

portfolio
Robert Angol
Head Of 3D
Orchard Post
London, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to Airflow Send a message via Yahoo to Airflow
You don't put an edit poly mod, you can convert it to edit poly. Roughly Same as editing a primitive. Have to say Softimage is really nice to use specially with Vray now, as a mainly max guy. But I don't see me jumping over to anything, just adding tools to my kit. If AD were to be honest, they would loose all their film customers to Sidefx as the smallest user base is the SI one, closely followed by the Maya one.

MY HMC

Old 03-25-2013, 09:19 PM   #69
oktawu
visual stuff

Octavian
okto
Earth, Romania

Foundation was a great idea. It used to be 500 usd, i remember well because i purchased one.
It included a ton of stuff and was a fully functional version of xsi that had modeling, texturing, rigging and rendering, unlike the other similar alternative on the market back then, which was G-Max, if anyone remembers that, which was a good initiative, but well, it was a stripped down version of max that did only modeling and texturing (yes i know it was free).
Foundation was missing stuff that was included in essentials for 2k, and advanced for 7k, things like hair, syflex, rbds, cdh, satellite and standalone mray etc.
A great deal imho, and one that should have similar counterparts in all the packages (like the 99 bucks apprentice houdini license).
Now i'll add my side of the rant. You have been warned
Been using xsi since 1.0 in 2000. I'll never forget the day i got those 2 cd's in the mailbox, with the red velvet logo on them. I stopped using max the day i received that package, and i never looked back. Been keeping my eye on it ever since jurassic park hit the screens, but never had access to it, until they sent those 2 demo cd's. What a day that was.
It's actually hard for people to understand how emotional someone can get about a package, but i think most xsi users are like this. We've all felt like underdogs through the years, and i think that helped the small community bond even more. I don't think i've met a nicer and more open bunch than the xsi folks. So when autodesk puts their hands on a piece of your life, and starts ripping it apart, it's only natural people get pissed off.
I've had ton of gripes with the package through the years (can't remember how many times i've asked for that damned ascii file support), but after looking around in 2013 at all the packages i've used/use, and there have been plenty of them, i still think xsi is the only app that managed to put a smile on my face while working with it. There's something soothing about its workflow that just makes life in front of the screen easier.
Unfortunately we've all seen the writing on the wall the moment autodesk bought it.

Peace

Last edited by oktawu : 03-25-2013 at 11:31 PM.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:26 PM   #70
3dtutorial
Lord of the posts
Company Director

Don't even get me started on this one....

Cheers,

J

Certified Softimage Instructor
Ask about our 3D Scanning Services!

Meshmasters.com

Old 03-25-2013, 09:39 PM   #71
oktawu
visual stuff

Octavian
okto
Earth, Romania

Hehe,
Joe, u are a prime underdog (and we're thankful for that).
So you don't need to get started...i think you've been at it more than everyone here combined

Last edited by oktawu : 03-25-2013 at 11:29 PM.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:41 PM   #72
cresshead
pro 3d scribbler

portfolio
stephen gilbert
3d designer/animator
United Kingdom

Send a message via AIM to cresshead Send a message via Yahoo to cresshead
as nice as Softimage turned out when they added ICE etc..the userbase was too small for autodesk to have a long term development plan for it, once they owned it hence moving the entire softimage dev team over to Maya.

the current new dev team for softimage i believe is for maintenance really.

Autodesk bought the only app that could compete (featues and pricepoint) with their other recently bought app at the time..that was Maya.

i guess next on autodesk shopping list is:

houdini
vue
realflow
maxwell
vray

http://www.cresshead.com
youtube channel:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/cresshead

"zero stones - zero crates"

Old 03-25-2013, 09:42 PM   #73
Siahpoosh
loool

portfolio
Mohammadreza Siahpoosh
Tehran, Iran

I worked for many years with Max and Maya, but after a year I working with Softimage i can say ""Softimage"" is much better than max and maya in Animation and VFX.

Softimage must now compete with Houdini, but Autodesk did not let

Old 03-25-2013, 09:42 PM   #74
Airflow
(212) 555-2368

portfolio
Robert Angol
Head Of 3D
Orchard Post
London, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to Airflow Send a message via Yahoo to Airflow
Lemme fix that for you.
Houdini
Vray
Arnold...

MY HMC

Old 03-25-2013, 09:49 PM   #75
Hirazi
none of the above

Netherlands

Still waiting for the day when Autodesk announces its intentions to acquire itself...

Thread Closed share thread