Autodesk Maya and Softimage 2014 documentation online.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #16
PFX looks really good! the new modelling tools are very usefull. Great release

Old 03 March 2013   #17
I have to ask... how is this a fantastic maya update? The best new feature is NEX. They actually started updating the mr plugin, which is nice, but at least on the surface they did nothing more than expose a few mr features in the render settings (which we already have via a free script). Nothing seems to have been done to streamline the the ui or remove redundancies concerning working with mr. Node editor doesnt appear to have been touched. I was hoping to see it replace hypershade, but it doesnt look like it.
What aspects of xgen have been implemented? Hair on cloth looks sweet (and important) but styling is the biggest workflow issue imho and it doesnt look like its been touched here.
Dont get me wrong, theres some nice features in there, but the rendering workflow is one of the biggest areas of neglect in the program, and it continues to be neglected in this release. Definitely disappointed.

Old 03 March 2013   #18
Originally Posted by fahr: Node editor doesnt appear to have been touched.

But there is a whole list of improvements to the node editor?

Quote: I was hoping to see it replace hypershade, but it doesnt look like it.

What exactly do you need for it to be a replacement?

Quote: What aspects of xgen have been implemented?

At a guess the Paint Effects stuff.

Old 03 March 2013   #19
I must have missed the part that discussed new node editor enhancements, and now the link is down so I can't verify. What's new?

Isn't the node editor meant to be the new way to work with nodes in maya? And it IS much better than the old node system. So why wouldn't I want it to replace the hypershade?

The hypershade is basically a shader-centric version of the hypergraph, so why not make a shader-centric version of the node editor and deprecate the old hypergraph and hypershade?

Right now, if I want to use the node editor for shaders and still have all of the convenience and functions of the hypershade, I have to have them both open... which isn't exactly ideal.

Old 03 March 2013   #20
No worries, SI users

Old 03 March 2013   #21
Was just going to post that image... its ridiculous to say the least... a complete slap in the face of Softimage Customers

Old 03 March 2013   #22
why did they take the links down, i would love to see what they did with paintfx.

Old 03 March 2013   #23
Originally Posted by Sil3: Was just going to post that image... its ridiculous to say the least... a complete slap in the face of Softimage Customers

I don't know why you are so surprised? Wasn't that obvious from the first day of acquisition? People who run M&E are supposed to provide an income of 50 million dollars every quarter for its shareholders. This is their only objective and they jeopardize it by developing three overlapping CCD applications. They slowly downgrade XSI to force you to switch to Maya, which is obviously the only alternative for most XSI users.

Old 03 March 2013   #24
Originally Posted by SYmek: I don't know why you are so surprised? Wasn't that obvious from the first day of acquisition? People who run M&E are supposed to provide an income of 50 million dollars every quarter for its shareholders. This is their only objective and they jeopardize it by developing three overlapping CCD applications. They slowly downgrade XSI to force you to switch to Maya, which is obviously the only alternative for most XSI users.

Blender and Modo are looking way more promising than Maya.

Old 03 March 2013   #25
Originally Posted by SYmek: I don't know why you are so surprised? Wasn't that obvious from the first day of acquisition? People who run M&E are supposed to provide an income of 50 million dollars every quarter for its shareholders. This is their only objective and they jeopardize it by developing three overlapping CCD applications. They slowly downgrade XSI to force you to switch to Maya, which is obviously the only alternative for most XSI users.

Then they shoddily develop maya, integrating new features that max had two versions ago, but not as cleanly nor with as good of user experience, so that you then eventually just switch to max.

Then they don't ever upgrade the backbone core of max, or refine the entire workflow of it's use to make it on par with other modern applications. So then you just switch to modo or c4d.

You know with the amount of money, developers, time, experience and knowledge that major VFX studios have, I don't see why they don't all just use blender, and then all start collectively developing it.

Old 03 March 2013   #26
Originally Posted by DuttyFoot: why did they take the links down, i would love to see what they did with paintfx.

-Collision with objects
-Fill volume
-attract to objects
-Some randomizing parameters

Old 03 March 2013   #27
Quote: -Collision with objects
-Fill volume
-attract to objects
-Some randomizing parameters

thanks, J-bond

Old 03 March 2013   #28
this video even if its not maya illustrate the main ideas of the new features in paintFX
https://vimeo.com/14810308

But for the FX guys except that they've change the icons of the dyn nodes in outliner the update are ridiculous. I remember that an Autodesk guy from the marketing, advise my CG sup that he have to wait cause 2014 was going to be BIG in the FX area ... well i do prefer the way sidefx conceptualize the word BIG !

But maybe this link wasn't pointing to all the new features ...

Old 03 March 2013   #29
i didn't renew my maintenance for softimage this past year--it was really a hard decision, too. i just don't see the movement there that i'd hoped. believe me, if AD really got behind it, i would *happily* pay for an upgrade and keep it up-to-date, but i just don't see it happening. i'm just a hobbyist with it, so i suppose i have that luxury, but still, i would prefer to see it flourishing/growing/making any strides considering how much time, energy and money i've invested in it over the years.

Old 03 March 2013   #30
Originally Posted by SebKaine: this video even if its not maya illustrate the main ideas of the new features in paintFX
https://vimeo.com/14810308

But for the FX guys except that they've change the icons of the dyn nodes in outliner the update are ridiculous. I remember that an Autodesk guy from the marketing, advise my CG sup that he have to wait cause 2014 was going to be BIG in the FX area ... well i do prefer the way sidefx conceptualize the word BIG !

They obviously work on new architecture, new ICE in Maya, new Naiad they just bought. Not 2014, 2015 then, this is not a problem.

I have a strong repulsion impulse against judging a company reliability based on a single update's feature list. This is a trap which keeps most people away from making reasonable decisions about their future (yes, future, because unlike many people think, choosing software is not a tiny detail, people do flame wars, because they know it's important, as important as a couple of years of investment to yourself can be).

Behind this thread (and similar repeated every year) there is a believe that by providing cool update Adsk can justify itself. But you don't buy a trust this way, you don't make a business like this. You build it every day by being supportive, predictable and innovative. So either Adsk is currently the company you like to deal with, and your rants are completely misplaced, or is not, and a single update won't change anything. After all Adsk is *the* company thanks to you and your money and with that money they can always buy you by providing a gift like practically unusable Lagoa which was such a deal for naive people! (and now there is Naiad which makes people happy again despite the fact, it would be far better for FX artists if Naiad stayed independent). People react exactly as they want them to.

3ds Max costs in EU 4000 euros, that's for starter and for a biggest market share in industry. Modo costs 1100$ everywhere, Lightwave 1500$ everywhere, HoudiniFX starts at 4500$ everywhere and that's for a lowest market share and for a most complete tool set. All three with built-in unlimited network rendering by the way.

Neither Maya nor Max wouldn't survive without freelancers and small studios. Big studios aren't big deal. The latter prices tell something about what it takes to develop decent software. The difference is what brings sharks to the pool. It seems you like to be the bait, people. You feed monster.

As to not having a choice, third party plugins etc, which are really the only unique thing about Max: you would have all of them in a new shiny box in a months. Plugins developers aren't idiots, they follow market.

On the one side there are people who make living on what they love to do, staying focused on market of their choice, the pros they know, the industry they like to provide with technology. On the other there are guys in suites making money on providing shareholders profits. It's that simple. People making decisions at M&E are hired to produce the biggest profits from the lowest burden, and they are good at it, because they are paid for being good on making money, not making innovations, and you have chosen to make business with them. We make choices every day with every penny of ours.

Thread Closed share thread