Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 03-20-2013, 07:40 AM   #1
xxbinxx
Most Wanted

portfolio
Nguyen Manh Hung
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Send a message via ICQ to xxbinxx Send a message via AIM to xxbinxx Send a message via MSN to xxbinxx Send a message via Yahoo to xxbinxx
Nvidia’s Faceworks renders realistic human faces

Nvidia has nearly crossed the uncanny valley. The graphics computing giant debuted a technology today that showed how its graphics chips can render a human face with nearly flawless realism.

At GTC 2013 NVIDIA Co-founder and CEO Jen-Hsun Huang shows a demo of Face Works technology running on the GeForce GTX TITAN GPU. It includes a must be seen to be believed, amazingly realistic

(click image to watch video)

Old 03-20-2013, 08:55 AM   #2
darthviper107
Expert

portfolio
Zachary Brackin
3D Artist
Precocity LLC
Dallas, USA

Old 03-20-2013, 10:55 AM   #3
danylyon
Shadow Creature

portfolio
Dany Bittel
VFX Artist
Zuerich, Switzerland

Very impressiv.. especially the fine movement in the face.
Eyes are horrible though. Sadly, as that lowers the quality of the whole face a lot.

And I didn't quite understand. If the animation was recorded and palyed back 1:1 or if there was some retargeting.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:41 PM   #4
nimajneb
Frequenter

Benjamin A. Slack
Artist / Animator
nimajneb.com
Kalamazoo, USA

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. I'm impressed that it's real time. I'm impressed with the quality of the skin shading and lighting but there is no "almost" when it comes to crossing the valley. You're either in it, or you're not and this most definitely is in it.

As to what this is, danylyon, from what I understood its cached data for the mesh animation extrapolated from spherical video sampling of a real face. Then it's shaded, lit and played back in real time. I didn't get the impression that they were doing any sort of facial re-targeting. I believe they used a similar technique for performance capture in LA Noire, another valley dweller.

Every time I see one of these, I cringe a little. Maybe I'm a Luddite, but I just think this quest for the holy grail of CG is some how wrong headed. It doesn't serve story and is often a distraction visually. Movies like Polar Express and Beowulf point this out to great effect. Stylized reality is much more appealing.

Last edited by nimajneb : 03-20-2013 at 12:46 PM.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:21 AM   #5
R10k
Expert

Quote:
...nearly flawless realism...

No. Not even close.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:12 AM   #6
xxbinxx
Most Wanted

portfolio
Nguyen Manh Hung

Send a message via ICQ to xxbinxx Send a message via AIM to xxbinxx Send a message via MSN to xxbinxx Send a message via Yahoo to xxbinxx
Nvidia shows off real-time Beaufort ocean simulation with Waveworks

Old 03-21-2013, 09:15 AM   #7
R10k
Expert

That doesn't look realistic either.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:20 AM   #8
3dtutorial
Lord of the posts
Company Director

Yeah, that's a fail.

Cheers,

J

Certified Softimage Instructor
Ask about our 3D Scanning Services!

Meshmasters.com

Old 03-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #9
hanskloss
Polynator

portfolio
Przemek Lodej
Poly/Pixel pusher
Detroit, USA

Send a message via ICQ to hanskloss
Is it just me or is this very unimpressive. The eyes are far from being realistic. The skin is too shiny at times and too flat in others. The movements are still a bit stiff.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:05 PM   #10
Laa-Yosh
Edge looper

Tamas Varga
Lead character modeler
Digic Pictures
Hungary

It is impressive in that they can do a reasonably close realtime approximation of Debevec's tech on their hardware. It may also become a reality in about, 5 to 8 years, when the next generation of consoles are released and their GPUs become the lowest common denominator for development.
I do agree that it isn't that convincing, but it's still quite good for a realtime demo.

As for the usability of this tech, I have some doubts - some games could certainly benefit from utilizing the voice and performance capture talent's appearance as well, but they aren't as many. LA Noire was a nice example where the likeness was put to good use, and now Beyond seems to be another.

But many other games would probably prefer to rely on a lot more artistic freedom and develop the faces of their lead characters on their own, without such restrictions. And we will still need games that aren't completely realistic, or feature aliens and monsters that can't be captured, from Blizzard's stuff through Mass Effect and Darksiders and so on, just to name a few. For those art styles and universes, this tech can't really be used; although elements of it like the skin shading are probably going to be utilized quite often.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:20 PM   #11
xxbinxx
Most Wanted

portfolio
Nguyen Manh Hung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laa-Yosh
It is impressive in that they can do a reasonably close realtime approximation of Debevec's tech on their hardware. It may also become a reality in about, 5 to 8 years, when the next generation of consoles are released and their GPUs become the lowest common denominator for development.
I do agree that it isn't that convincing, but it's still quite good for a realtime demo.

As for the usability of this tech, I have some doubts - some games could certainly benefit from utilizing the voice and performance capture talent's appearance as well, but they aren't as many. LA Noire was a nice example where the likeness was put to good use, and now Beyond seems to be another.

But many other games would probably prefer to rely on a lot more artistic freedom and develop the faces of their lead characters on their own, without such restrictions. And we will still need games that aren't completely realistic, or feature aliens and monsters that can't be captured, from Blizzard's stuff through Mass Effect and Darksiders and so on, just to name a few. For those art styles and universes, this tech can't really be used; although elements of it like the skin shading are probably going to be utilized quite often.

Thank you!

Old 03-21-2013, 05:40 PM   #12
PhilipeaNguyen
Frequenter
portfolio
Philip E.A. Nguyen
Philadelphia, USA

I would love to have this integrated into Maya (maybe it will be) and just render the eyes in software. The eyes here are the most distracting part and it's not a tech thing it's more about technique because the shader they used for the sclera was so shiny it looks like a glass eye. I don't know that you can totally get out of the "Uncanny Valley" all the time for every character with a magical push button hardware solution, but this (the real-time demo) is nice to see.

Last edited by PhilipeaNguyen : 03-22-2013 at 02:44 AM.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:11 PM   #13
mister3d
Expert

portfolio
asdasd adsasd
Kiev, Ukraine

I think they made the eyes correctly technically, but the iris should really reflect more (more than 1). And something is with specular, I'm not sure what it is.

Last edited by mister3d : 03-21-2013 at 06:15 PM.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:23 PM   #14
DuttyFoot
Expert

stephen curah
USA

Quote:
Nvidia shows off real-time Beaufort ocean simulation with Waveworks
http://youtu.be/f5KRR-X-2HE

i really enjoyed seeing waveworks in action

Old 03-21-2013, 06:28 PM   #15
Dirtvic
stuck in pixels