New Wacom Cintiq 13 HD

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #61
Originally Posted by damesqlo: Hello guys, who want to see the power brick?

I like it BUT! is so OVERPRICED!

Compared to a Surface Pro or any other new device that cames with SSD, i5, RAM, full Windows, and touch screen + wacom stylus (even now they have problems with photoshop and zbrush to make pressure sens work) Wacom as always is really overpriced, this is "just" a green flat board with a 13.3" ips screen... come on Wacom, you can do it better.

Well done - your your links Found this pic - the 13 HD vs the 12

Way smaller brick and no break out box...BUT does have a propeitory Power Brick / connector ! I am sure they didn't need to do that... How quickly could you get a replacement!

Wacom have said they are making a Tablet of some sort coming out this summer so will have see - who knows it might make an appearance at NAB.

Old 04 April 2013   #62
Great pic. This is even less impressive when compared side-by-side. When you overlay the active screen area of the 13hd onto the 12, it's almost the exact same height and maybe an inch wider. That is just pathetic. While the reduced cord clutter is nice, it's still not minimal enough to be truly portable. For that price it really should have been so much more than this slightly iterative version.

Old 04 April 2013   #63
fan boys and hipsters are going to buy it anyway

Old 04 April 2013   #64
Originally Posted by Skamierski: fan boys and hipsters are going to buy it anyway

I wouldn't count myself as either, but I'm going to buy one.

There's no doubt, it's way overpriced for what it is, but there are just no viable alternatives. Wacom do make quality pieces of kit, and I don't think this is going to be an exception. The size will suit me fine, and it should be a pretty good quality screen. It may not support the full Adobe colour range, but it's not too bad. The reduced weight, higher resolution and more convenient cabling make it much more viable than the 12.

Old 04 April 2013   #65
Can I buy it off of Amazon US and have it work okay in the UK (ac adapter compatible)?

Old 04 April 2013   #66
Unlikely. The power supply is part of the plug, so you'd need the UK pins snap-in, which is very unlikely to be provided with a US model. Also, don't forget you'd need to pay import duty and VAT! It should be available from Wacom's UK store on the 30th, so you're best off waiting...

Old 04 April 2013   #67
Originally Posted by naminami: Can I buy it off of Amazon US and have it work okay in the UK (ac adapter compatible)?
As Jaspar says, I would wait until it's officially released over here. You could no doubt put a US>UK adapter onto the plug but you'll get badly stung for postage and import duty on it and I'm 99% sure the warranty wouldn't be valid.

The current US exchange rate puts the $1000 at around 650, so for an extra 100 you could get the UK version http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-...isplay/p1536805

Old 04 April 2013   #68
Thanks for posting those pictures damesqlo, very cool to see it "in the wild" as opposed to promotional imagery. While I'd still rather not be anchored to an outlet, it is nice to see the 13HD doesn't need a big breaker box like the 12WX.

Originally Posted by Artbot: This is even less impressive when compared side-by-side. When you overlay the active screen area of the 13hd onto the 12, it's almost the exact same height and maybe an inch wider. That is just pathetic.

Wacom made it clear the update from 12WX to 13HD would have the screen going from 12" (16x10) to 13" (16x9), so wasn't the size difference already expected without the side-by-side pic?

For something truly portable, I'm curious to see what kind of tablet computer Wacom announces this summer... but since I'm already satisfied with my laptop's computing power, I'll likely go with Lenovo's Thinkvision 1423p once it's released (unless it has any weaknesses yet to be revealed).

Old 04 April 2013   #69
Originally Posted by naminami: Can I buy it off of Amazon US and have it work okay in the UK (ac adapter compatible)?

Also the warranty probably won't be covered probably - It region based.

having sai that, I bought a 12" Cintiq ( which I thought was a bit unusable for what I do with only 1280 x 800 ) in the USA for $999 but was at a time when it was 1=$2 and used it for a couple of years and sold it for 600!! And Yes I just bought it back thought customs and didn't declare it. Cos I am that naughty.

Old 04 April 2013   #70
Originally Posted by Artbot: Great pic. This is even less impressive when compared side-by-side. When you overlay the active screen area of the 13hd onto the 12, it's almost the exact same height and maybe an inch wider. That is just pathetic. While the reduced cord clutter is nice, it's still not minimal enough to be truly portable. For that price it really should have been so much more than this slightly iterative version.

Don't really get what you are saying. It's 12" > 13" did you want it to be 15" or something, better yet 24".... Oh hold on....

The point is it has much better resolution.... the 1280x800 was unusable and blocky as when using a lot of app - even PS's icons were hard to make out... oh and the screen angle/brightness etc was shocking.

This is looking way beter with IPS, 1920x1080 and no break out box...

I am ebaying my intous4 and 5 and goign to get one.... Just as an aside who likes the intous 5 - I like the feel but the buttons are shocking. They need lights and more feel.

Old 04 April 2013   #71
Originally Posted by Jaspar: Unlikely. The power supply is part of the plug, so you'd need the UK pins snap-in, which is very unlikely to be provided with a US model. Also, don't forget you'd need to pay import duty and VAT! It should be available from Wacom's UK store on the 30th, so you're best off waiting...

Ok, thanks. Figures waiting is still what's best.

AJ> I think I'll wait a bit for it to appear on Amazon. Hopefully the US and UK prices are more or less the same.

Old 06 June 2013   #72
Some questions/comments...

- Have been waiting for a unit this size for some time and it looks great.
- Removal of converter box and tidying up of leads is a positive move.
- Why does it need a separate USB cable when it has HDMI and more importantly why doesnt Wacom supply a thunderbolt cable with a SINGLE lead for its core user group Mac owners??
- The stand looks cheap and as though its made of flimsy plastic and isn't pivotable. Is there any way that it can be used in conjunction with CintiQ 22" stand (see attached images)?
- Non-USB power is a huge disappointment.
- Non-inclusion of battery pack and wireless (even as an extra) is a huge disappointment.

Would keen to hear some replies to the above.

Old 06 June 2013   #73
Originally Posted by seychellian: Why does it need a separate USB cable when it has HDMI and more importantly why doesnt Wacom supply a thunderbolt cable with a SINGLE lead for its core user group Mac owners??

HDMI doesn't carry USB data. MHL though USB does carry Video, but it's not very good and limits the bandwidth. Thunderbolt would be a great option. To be honest I think Wacom are incredible penny pinchers and will always use the cheapest option possible. They take years to redesign kit and when it comes out, there is always dozens of threads about why it's just not quite good enough.
Originally Posted by seychellian: - The stand looks cheap and as though its made of flimsy plastic and isn't pivotable. Is there any way that it can be used in conjunction with CintiQ 22" stand (see attached images)?

Nope not without some serious customisation. The stand is pretty good actually.

Originally Posted by seychellian: Non-USB power is a huge disappointment.

Spec says 19 VDC 1.58 A (max) - way beyond the 5V 900MA (5amp - charging) USB spec.

Originally Posted by seychellian: Non-inclusion of battery pack and wireless (even as an extra) is a huge disappointment.

Again the cost to implement would have pushed the price higher. Agree and the Wire port design is terrible - who ever thought that was a good idea should be fired. Something like this is screaming out for a magport at the very least.

There is of course this mythical Wacom Tablet coming this summer. But Would have to be Windows Pro ( not the RT crappola ) to be any use. Even android would be pointless.

Old 06 June 2013   #74
Thanks for the comprehensive response.

What is the chance that Wacom bring out a swivel stand for this model at a later date? It is such a handy accessory. Alternatively what is the chance they'll sell an apple specific cable which combines the USB and HDMI into a single thunderbolt lead? I have precious USB resources on the back of my Thuderbolt display that I am in no mood to share.

I am right on the cusp of buying this thing and if i knew at least one of my concerns could be addressed down the track I my be persuaded to make the purchase.

Alternatively, what do we know about the tablet that is touted for release this summer? Is it a compact 12-14"? What new does it bring to the table? Should I wait?

So many questions!

Old 06 June 2013   #75
Looks great, but isn't it about 300 bucks overpriced? or am I wrong.

Thread Closed share thread