New Wacom Cintiq 13 HD

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2013
Guys, I don't think it's that important.

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by strangerthings:
Unboxing… but not shown the brick

My first thought was, Wow, people are still making those retarded unboxing videos? Then I realized it's just some fake unboxing done by some reseller or someone. The cords are just jumbled in the box like that? Please. Then it leaps right to the working setup while showing even less than the awful endgadget video.

Looks like all indications point to it still having a power brick, which they have gone out of their way to not show anywhere. Some guy on another forum claimed to have seen it at CES or some show and said it had a brick, so take that for what it's worth. It's easy to believe since that lead of the cord is too short to reach a wall plug or box. It would definitely need a longer cord to attach to that, and with the new, thinner screen, it all just points to a power brick.

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by Artbot: which they have gone out of their way to not show anywhere.

Agreed, and as a marketing decision I think this is bad form. I could understand if they made the brick known-but-downplayed, but it seems more like they're trying to keep consumers completely unaware. To me that's not just misleading, but short-sighted as well; it makes the product look cooler now at the cost of disappointment later on.

Again, I hope I'll be proven wrong and have to eat my words... but if the 13HD has the mobility I'm looking for, it doesn't make sense for Wacom not to say so.

03 March 2013
I dont think 'hiding the brick' is a big surprise. Every commercial for some electronic equipment does this afaik. Its to be expected.

03 March 2013
Hope I am wrong, but I have a feeling about the mobile Wacom tablet: 8GB, no SD card, HD Gorilla 2 screen, 2048 pressure sensitivity, Android/iOS/Windows RT (not Windows 8), $1999.98.

03 March 2013
I know they are talking about doing a tablet themselves - but they do better with partnerships. They have zero experience in they rest of the hardware and bound to be v.v.expensive and shonky. Panasonic's 4K 20" tablet is the future for this kinda thing.

If they did your specs are wacko. iOS?!?!?! Would be win 8 full. RT is utterly utterly pointless. There is not design software.

Why no SD Card? It would be aimed at designers. Possibly even CF card if they went proper high end.

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by CHRiTTeR: I dont think 'hiding the brick' is a big surprise. Every commercial for some electronic equipment does this afaik. Its to be expected.

I see your point. For me though, expectations depend on the type of device being marketed:

1. Desktop computers/monitors:
usually need a brick to operate, which is fine because it doesn't need to be carried around.
2. Laptops:
need a brick to charge, but can function without being plugged in
3. Portable peripherals
: expected to be powered by battery or USB cable

It seems like the 13HD probably belongs in the first category, but its promotion reads to me as if it fit in the 3rd.

As a counter example, I'm fine with Lacie's distinction between external hard drives for desktop and portable use; they list out system requirements and box contents in more detail than Wacom is doing with the 13HD.

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by rock: Hope I am wrong, but I have a feeling about the mobile Wacom tablet: 8GB, no SD card, HD Gorilla 2 screen, 2048 pressure sensitivity, Android/iOS/Windows RT (not Windows 8), $1999.98.

That would be a useless tablet since none of those OS's run the softwares you would want a pro tablet to run.

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: That would be a useless tablet since none of those OS's run the softwares you would want a pro tablet to run.

I think that was his main point for the joke :-) Hence the 'no' in the bracket.

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by CHRiTTeR: I dont think 'hiding the brick' is a big surprise. Every commercial for some electronic equipment does this afaik. Its to be expected.

I think so too. Wacom hide the brick in the current Cintiq 12WX adverts.

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by fablefox: I think that was his main point for the joke :-) Hence the 'no' in the bracket.

Yep. I was just joking because Wacom always have some limitations for their expensive product because of their monopoly, like this unnecessary brick, that they would give us the "pro" mobile version that runs mobile software that requires us to login using VNC or Remote Login to our main computer and use our tablet like the 13HD. Joking aside, I think we are at the point where we should not be required to be glued to a computer, with a thick brick, just to sculpt or texture or paint, that we can do it on the bus, on the train or on the toilet.

03 March 2013
I do not speak English, sorry. Use google translator
Today I saw the power supply of the Cintiq 13HD, measures approximately 13cm x 5cm x 3cm

03 March 2013
For those still interested in a good (less laggy than a wacom!) drawing experience, and not willing or unable to hand out that much money, I suggest the Yiynova MSP19U:

http://blog.drawn.ca/post/387415814...-swings-for-the

19", and only ~$500.

I may be getting one of these myself, but unfortunately I have not yet found a retailer here in Vancouver that carries those.

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by hvanderwegen: For those still interested in a good (less laggy than a wacom!) drawing experience
I don't really want to get sucked into this but I have 3 different Wacom tablets, including a Cintiq and the one criticism I could never level at any of them is lag...?

04 April 2013
Hello guys, who want to see the power brick?

More pics here:
http://www.gizmodo.jp/2013/03/cintiq_13hd.html
http://www.lunaticjoker.com/2013/03/cintiq-13hd-review/
http://white-screen.jp/?p=24682

I like it BUT! is so OVERPRICED!

Compared to a Surface Pro or any other new device that cames with SSD, i5, RAM, full Windows, and touch screen + wacom stylus (even now they have problems with photoshop and zbrush to make pressure sens work) Wacom as always is really overpriced, this is "just" a green flat board with a 13.3" ips screen... come on Wacom, you can do it better.

oh i forgot to say... and isnt touch screen :(

Last edited by damesqlo : 04 April 2013 at 01:29 PM.

Thread Closed share thread