New Wacom Cintiq 13 HD

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by Steve-S: USB 2????

What would you need USB3 on it for?
It's not a hub, the usb is for the input device side of things, you hardly need more than a handful of kBps of bandwidth.

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: I know what you're saying, and I agree in principle, but in this particular case they are, yet again, displaying a brute abuse of their monopoly and patents book (the one that expired apparently isn't going to crack their hold).
I admit that as there are no viable competing products (in my experience) for Wacom, my opinion of the value of their devices may well be skewed. I also don't know to what effect their patents have crippled competition or artificially inflated their hold on the market.

That said, I do know that in the grand scheme of the electronic devices people mention by way of price comparison , pressure sensitive graphic tablets/screens aimed at professionals are targeting a minuscule demographic.

Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: A different, and more technically aligned, kind of comparison though shows that it's hugely overpriced.

At 500-600$ it would be interesting, but hitting four digits for something that barely compares to manufacturing costs of things with twice the amount of tech and pieces to them that are sold for less than 500$ makes it overpriced.
The tech that you're comparing is produced in vast quantities for a much, much larger consumer base. Take a cross-section of people on the street who own a tablet device and then compare that to those who own a graphics tablet (or even know what one is) and the difference will be staggering. I realise that you and others are implying that this would be down to Wacom holding the market share via patents...etc. but you also have to factor in demand.

Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: I'm sort of trepidant for their tablet offer, but this device, which is what I hope their tablet to be (with the addition of the PC hardware, of course) priced like that makes me fear for the pricing of that item will be an unrealistic 2k or more
I am expecting a machine capable of running Photoshop, hopefully Zbrush or similar. I would be hard pushed to find a standard laptop for >$2k that could offer that power. I could be wrong in this assumption but it feels as if people want a device comparable to say a $300 Android tablet but with the capabilities of a Cintiq. If that were the case then what you would have is a fantastic pressure sensitive screen crippled by a device that is incapable of utilizing that technology at any functional level.

Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: Either they want to milk the userbase early with a CPU less version of their tablet before selling that for a reasonable price and slicing the price of this by half in the future, or they will release their most interesting product in years next for an absurd price tag. Both ways, they hold to their old, despicable habits, but there's little you can do against artificial monopolies like theirs as a customer.
I can't argue with this, not because I think you're right (which I usually do!) but because this enters the vague territory that Wacom are running their business as a calculated, moustache twirling set of dastardly villains - which is a stance consumers take all too often. The reason I can't argue against it is that all will happen is people will tell me how naive I am if I don't think large corporations are evil...etc. and I don't have the energy to enter into that den of ferrets.

Last edited by AJ : 03 March 2013 at 10:21 AM.

03 March 2013
This makes it a tough choice between the new Cintiq and the Surface Pro. The power brick is dissapointing and the cable as thick as a babys arm seems overkill. Even the cheap Yiynova I bought a while back manages with a single slim USB lead.
If the Surface Pro gets pressure sensitivity fixed for photoshop and ZBrush soon, that's probably where the funds I have available for upgrading will go.

03 March 2013
The price doesn't bother me too much....

I mean apple charges a 33% premium over any given windows pc.

To get a device thats well manufactured, will outlast the competition, is made with top quality components, has really good drivers, and carries the reputation of having those things, you should expect to pay around 33% more.

Where I would have a problem is if, for some reason, the thing broke in 2 years. But I still have an intuos 2 that is going strong without any issue, and drivers still work well on every OS that has come out since. Thats like 10 years of great user experience out of one pen tablet. I would be inclined to buy wacom even if there is a 33% premium just because I know the thing will last me 10 years.

Has anyone other tablet company gained the reputation of making a product that lasts 10 years?

03 March 2013
I just want to know if it actually draws power from the USB or if it has a brick like the 13". That shitty engadget demo goes out of it's way to not show any info people might actually be interested in about the Cintiq.

03 March 2013
I've been giving some more thought to that cable; here's the exact wording on the site:

Quote: Wacom 3-in-1 cable with video (HDMI), USB 2.0 and AC Power adaptors

It'd be great if that meant the cable has:
--- HDMI for video
--- Power adapters for USB and AC

...but I guess it's more likely to mean:
--- HDMI for video
--- USB for data
--- AC Power adapter for power supply

If the machine works without a power brick, Wacom ought to be promoting that feature. Assuming the display does need an adapter and outlet, it seems disingenuous not to make that clear while advertising the "lightweight, compact design" that will "reduce cable clutter."

03 March 2013
If you look in the comments below the Endgadget hands-on, there are updates about the power. It apparently doesn't have a power brick, just a mains plug. Am unclear where the transformer is housed in that case, so it would be nice to have clearer details of the situation.

03 March 2013
Quote: The convenient new 3-in-1 cable reduces cable clutter and makes setup to any Mac or PC a snap.
Cables included: Wacom 3-in-1
cable (USB, HDMI, power)
power adapter

http://eu.shop.wacom.eu/products/ci...hd//541?c=70177

It definitely has a power adapter. Now its size is another issue. Hopefully it could be a small one like some external HDD have.

Last edited by evanfotis : 03 March 2013 at 01:08 PM.

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: I just want to know if it actually draws power from the USB or if it has a brick like the 13". That shitty engadget demo goes out of it's way to not show any info people might actually be interested in about the Cintiq.

It's definitely a brick - but not sure if it's a small brick or a Wall one.
100 to 240 VAC, 50/60Hz19 VDC, 1.58 A (max)
Max. Power Consumption: 9.0 W, 1 W or less when asleep 0.5 W or less when off

What's more worrying is it's OSX 10.6.8 only or later!? Why it's only a monitor with a pointing device! Not that it concerns me.

The Other thing is the lead shows a Proprietary connector it seems for the power at the end of the 3 way lead! Means having to rely on wacom to supply a brick if one blows.

Unboxing… but not shown the brick

I do think it's insane the way they have connected the thing. Still better than the 12wx.

03 March 2013
For that money cintiq display should be more like dreamcolor, but instead it is low end display that is overpriced, so no thanks I would pay maybe 1/4 of the current price and not a dime more.

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by LuckyBug: For that money cintiq display should be more like dreamcolor, but instead it is low end display that is overpriced, so no thanks I would pay maybe 1/4 of the current price and not a dime more.

Well it's not low end... it's a 13" 1920x1080 IPS screen. You can only work with panels that are made, and given that the the smallest s-ips panels are 17" and I am not even sure they are made any more. All 19"+

So you want a 13" 2,048 level of sensitivity, with angle detection with a 1080p res monitor for £250... Hey guess what. So do I!!

{rolls eyes so far back I can see my own brain}

03 March 2013
Is is very nice specification about 2,048 levels of sensitivity, with angle detection, but I'm not talking about that and I could live without that, the display should be better.
For example dell u2410 has 96% adobe rgb coverage and it's not professional he has some problems and wacom cintiq has much lower coverage 75% adober rgb, is it high end I dont think so.
Therefore no I don't wanna pay overpriced toy.

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by LuckyBug: Is is very nice specification about 2,048 levels of sensitivity, with angle detection, but I'm not talking about that and I could live without that, the display should be better.
For example dell u2410 has 96% adobe rgb coverage and it's not professional he has some problems and wacom cintiq has much lower coverage 75% adober rgb, is it high end I dont think so.
Therefore no I don't wanna pay overpriced toy.

So you could live without the Pressure sensitivity and angle detection?!!? Then why on earth would you want ANYTHING like this?!?! It's not just a monitor or dumb touchscreen. If you think this is a over priced toy you clearly don't know what it is. Or have any idea how market forces work.

What's the point of talking about a 24" Dell against a 13" - This is the BEST panel THAT exists that they could use. For the record the 24HD does have 92% Gamaut - and that $3,500...

And if you really think that colour gamut makes that much of a difference, perhaps you should ditch your toy Dell and get an EIZO ColorEdge CG232W-BK - 22.5" and about 6,000 Dollars.

03 March 2013
You can read my point but you are just ignorant, enjoy in that little crap, it is your money after all not mine

03 March 2013
In what way am I ignorant? Nothing you have said is correct in any way. Give me one magical device that does what you want... 13" - 1080p - sIPS - pen enabled that costs anywhere near what this does?

I genuinely have not read so much rubbish ever on CCTalk as your last few posts, especially coming from someone that appears be as skilled and talented as you!?

Thread Closed share thread