New Wacom Cintiq 13 HD

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #16
That awful Endgadget video spends most of its 6 minutes on the amazing piece of plastic that is the new stand and the fact that Photoshop has masks. You can't even see where the wires go since they fall out of frame. Does one lead to a power brick on the floor or what? What a load of crap (the video, not necessarily the Wacom, though that's to be determined since this video tells us nothing).

Old 03 March 2013   #17
Originally Posted by AJ: Tough crowd...

Tough crowd, really? Wacom have been sitting on their asses for years now while charging premium and innovating little.

Why would anyone want to buy this thing, anyway? For 900 EUR (it's almost 1.200 USD as of today!) you can get a fully fledged tablet pc with a comparable display size and pressure sensitive pen to boot.

P.S. - That Engadget review sucked indeed. 6 minutes of talking, not even a SINGLE brush stroke.

P.P.S. - 900 EUR for this, I dread to think how much they will charge for their tablet pc.

Old 03 March 2013   #18
Originally Posted by Artbot: Oooo! Look! The pen comes in a case!

SOLD!

Seriously, one inch bigger and the big improvement is no power brick and switch box? Big whoop. Haven't Wacom been paying attention at all? Why isn't this at least 15"?

EDIT: It appears there is still a power brick, though no photos of it have been published yet. They seem to be doing everything they can to hide it.

It's a good upgrade over the 12" but in these days for even these updates it's still overpriced.

Old 03 March 2013   #19
I would wait to hear if it has the jittering problems of the 12wx before taking the plunge... The higher resolution would make it much more useful though. I wander how portable it realy is...

Old 03 March 2013   #20
Originally Posted by fuss: Tough crowd, really? Wacom have been sitting on their asses for years now while charging premium and innovating little.

Why would anyone want to buy this thing, anyway? For 900 EUR (it's almost 1.200 USD as of today!) you can get a fully fledged tablet pc with a comparable display size and pressure sensitive pen to boot.

P.S. - That Engadget review sucked indeed. 6 minutes of talking, not even a SINGLE brush stroke.

P.P.S. - 900 EUR for this, I dread to think how much they will charge for their tablet pc.

I didn't watch the video, but I would rather use the OS, cpu, fans, and hard drive from a desktop, than something on my lap. Especially with ZBrush. Not wild about it though, if it gets too hot, the cords are too heavy and it stutters. I shall wait and see.

Old 03 March 2013   #21
Originally Posted by fuss: Tough crowd, really? Wacom have been sitting on their asses for years now while charging premium and innovating little.

ah, at least someone who shares my opinion

Old 03 March 2013   #22
Originally Posted by Artbot: That awful Endgadget video spends most of its 6 minutes on the amazing piece of plastic that is the new stand and the fact that Photoshop has masks. You can't even see where the wires go since they fall out of frame. Does one lead to a power brick on the floor or what? What a load of crap (the video, not necessarily the Wacom, though that's to be determined since this video tells us nothing).

That was the worst demo video I have ever seen.

Old 03 March 2013   #23
Looks intriguing. I wouldn't want this as a tablet PC though - typically my monitors and input devices outlive the rest of my hardware by many years (my mouse is 13 years old). I don't want to have to replace an expensive display/tablet just because I need a faster CPU.

Old 03 March 2013   #24
I was coming from the perspective that a new device has been unveiled and people are immediately complaining about everything that it isn't. Granted, that's human nature but I look at it as a device with the same resolution of the 24HD but on a smaller screen, lighter, with a much smaller footprint & half the cost.

Originally Posted by fuss: P.P.S. - 900 EUR for this, I dread to think how much they will charge for their tablet pc.
Well the only comparable product currently on the market (from what Wacom have stated will be their tablet) is the Modbook Pro , of which the lowest specced/priced version comes in at $3499 USD.

I know the general consensus here is that Wacom charge too much for their products but I have yet to see a single competing product that offers the build quality and support that their devices have.

Old 03 March 2013   #25
Well, in this range there's various tablets that can do most of the same stuff--like the Surface Pro which is 1080p touch screen that's also a computer and has a Wacom digitizer, all for the same price. Only difference is the lower touch sensitivity and no tilt.

And later this year Lenovo is offering a wireless touch monitor that also has a Wacom digitizer that's half the cost.

Old 03 March 2013   #26
Originally Posted by AJ: I was coming from the perspective that a new device has been unveiled and people are immediately complaining about everything that it isn't. Granted, that's human nature but I look at it as a device with the same resolution of the 24HD but on a smaller screen, lighter, with a much smaller footprint & half the cost.

Well the only comparable product currently on the market (from what Wacom have stated will be their tablet) is the Modbook Pro , of which the lowest specced/priced version comes in at $3499 USD.

I know the general consensus here is that Wacom charge too much for their products but I have yet to see a single competing product that offers the build quality and support that their devices have.

I know what you're saying, and I agree in principle, but in this particular case they are, yet again, displaying a brute abuse of their monopoly and patents book (the one that expired apparently isn't going to crack their hold).

Yes, comparable offers have higher prices, but also much more to them, and lacking the market penetration and patents book Wacom has are forced into niche pricing.
A different, and more technically aligned, kind of comparison though shows that it's hugely overpriced.

At 500-600$ it would be interesting, but hitting four digits for something that barely compares to manufacturing costs of things with twice the amount of tech and pieces to them that are sold for less than 500$ makes it overpriced.

I'm sort of trepidant for their tablet offer, but this device, which is what I hope their tablet to be (with the addition of the PC hardware, of course) priced like that makes me fear for the pricing of that item will be an unrealistic 2k or more, when comparable offers (surface pro) sans the tilt (which I don't need) that Wacom themselves crippled by offering crappy drivers are half that price.

Either they want to milk the userbase early with a CPU less version of their tablet before selling that for a reasonable price and slicing the price of this by half in the future, or they will release their most interesting product in years next for an absurd price tag. Both ways, they hold to their old, despicable habits, but there's little you can do against artificial monopolies like theirs as a customer.

Old 03 March 2013   #27
This 13HD has serious bezel. A small teacup can fit on it. If you look across Wacom product lines, each one is missing something. So when the true mobile tablet comes out in June, it will also be missing some features or have some limitations that the other products in the line have. Wacom do this because of no competition. They do this so that it will not canabalize their other products. All companies do this. Just look around your house and count how many power adapters you have. So instead of giving us what we need, they give us what we don't want.

Last edited by rock : 03 March 2013 at 12:48 AM.

Old 03 March 2013   #28
Originally Posted by AJ: people are immediately complaining about everything that it isn't. Granted, that's human nature

If children whine about gifts they've been given for free, that's bratty. If consumers discuss why they won't spend $1,000 on something that doesn't meet their needs, that's good judgment.

Old 03 March 2013   #29
Originally Posted by rock: look around your house and count how many power adapters you have. So instead of giving us what we need, they give us what we don't want.

One by my bed, that comes out as a USB cable my kindle, tablet, smartphone, mp3player and several other things can use. That's it.

The only area with more than one is my living room and there are several that are different because my NAS, PS3 and so on all require vastly different voltage and draw different Amperages.

I also see scaling of features and rarely different intersections of features in all the electronics I have around.

My top of the line monitor with 12bit LUT doesn't lack the gaming features of quicksetting OSD options of the cheaper, gaming oriented ones.

My SOHO level NAS doesn't miss anything that the cheaper personal one bayers have, it only lacks the features found in the more expensive, enterprise level ones.

My expensive mechanical keyboard doesn't lack the meta key functions of the cheaper versions.

Smartphones, none of them, work the way you say all companies work. Tablets dont. Most laptops don't. My TV, hi-fi, consoles, appliances, small footprint server, workstation and other items don't.

I really don't see your point, sorry.

Old 03 March 2013   #30
USB 2????

Thread Closed share thread