Mari 2 is out

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #1
Mari 2 is out

Hi,

The Foundry are hugely pleased to announce the release of Mari 2.

Launch Video Here

Mari 2 is an awesome update that adds a state-of-the-art layering and procedural engine to Mari's world beating brush based painting and texturing.

A great set of introduction videos are available on line now .

Tutorial Videos

The best bits from the user guide are...

• Layers, accessed from either the Layers menu or from within the Layers
palette, allow you to set up complex layer stacks for channels. For more
information regarding layer integration, please refer to the Layers
chapter in the Mari User Guide.

• Procedurals and adjustments can now be added using the Layers menu or
palette. Procedurals and adjustments contain many of the former shader
modules.

• Channels now contain layer stacks with mask, procedural, and
adjustment data. Channels can be used in shader component inputs to
specify how shaders impact individual channels.

• Shaders no longer operate on a modular system. Instead they use inputs
to control how lighting, ambient occlusion, and specularity (among other
components) interact with given channels.

• Channels, shaders, and layers can now be imported and exported, either
in a full or flattened state.

• Sharing layers into a layer stack, or as a new channel, allows you to
quickly transfer paint made in one layer to another.

• New selection methods allow you to select, lock and hide patches,
objects, channels, and faces (or a combination of these).

Old 03 March 2013   #2
omg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_hu5HHJ7ns

a layer. a layer mask. and then a an adjustment layer inside the layer mask. amazing

Old 03 March 2013   #3
OK...now its time to talk to the wife

That looks AMAZING! That's what a 3D paint package should look like! Jaw on floor.

I am going to buy it as soon as my wife does not have the new pricey CPU and Autode$k maintenance I just got fresh in her brain...ugg I don't look forward to that talk.

Working on a plan to convince my boss that we MUST have this, everything other 3d paint app just pales in comparison now.

Great work Jack and to the whole Foundry team!

Old 03 March 2013   #4
OMG this is so amazing! I used on the last show Photoshop only for about 20% and really only in the pain situation. Finally I can say F**c* you adobe
Absolute Beautiful!

Old 03 March 2013   #5
That's fantastic! I love that you decided to solve layer system and you pretty much maxed out on it instead of going for half solutions and patching it for next 10 versions. I can't think of any feature in this regard that might come useful and isn't implemented in 2.0. Can't wait to start using it.

Old 03 March 2013   #6
Originally Posted by ice-boy: omg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_hu5HHJ7ns

a layer. a layer mask. and then a an adjustment layer inside the layer mask. amazing

Exactly like Photoline (which has had this type of layer masking for years now) - finally a 3d painting package that gets it right, and adds procedural layers as well.

Want it. :-)

Old 03 March 2013   #7
i wonder what will the photoshop and bodypaint users say . Mari 2.0 is so simple that they will have to change software.

Old 03 March 2013   #8
The only drawback for me as a freelancer: the price. 2000 buckaroos is a wee bit too much for poor me to afford. :-(

Old 03 March 2013   #9
will the presentation video be realesed on youtube?

Old 03 March 2013   #10
http://www.fxguide.com/featured/mar...ched-in-the-uk/

does this mean mari is using ptex to store and manage the data and baking it down to uvs if needed..?

Old 03 March 2013   #11
I just cannot get over the pricing - it feels overpriced to me. Guess I'll stick to 3dCoat.

Old 03 March 2013   #12
Quote: i wonder what will the photoshop and bodypaint users say

They say that Bodypaint sure does need some love (wake up MAXON) and isn't as fancy as mari is now, but it is still half the price, has UV tools, sculpting, modeling, animation, render Engine (+ supports Vray)... because it's basically a slighlty stripped down version of C4D and has been a good production tool for a long time.

So in essence, most people I know don't really NEED Mari, they just want it. Not sure it really make sense for game assets either. If it's just to paint over your high rez or lowrez model in 3D, Zbrush (polypaint+layers+matcaps+UVmaster...) or Bodypaint for that matter are enough. The way I see it really starts to make sense in a high-end pipeline with very high rez textures for cinema (big patches, ptex etc...) and mostly based on a maya backend for modeling.

Same with After Effects vs Nuke : The right tool for the right job.

Good job on Mari nonetheless. Those who do really need it will be happy.

Old 03 March 2013   #13
Price is focused for Studio pipelines that are using similarly priced applications and on assets that require a huge amount of texture data.

I have to say it has increased my production time considerably, and cannot even consider using another painting application for lack of tools and performance.

Where it out performs other paint applications is the amount of tools that are included, and being able to quickly transfer shaders to new assets. Being able to extract a decent color map just from blending bump maps, displacements and AO maps...and then use procedurals in realtime on 4k maps shaves days off of texturing an asset. What would take me a couple weeks in Photoshop + Mubox I can do in less then 5 days now.

I bought the application at introductory price though...well worth it.

Last edited by MasonDoran : 03 March 2013 at 09:16 AM.

Old 03 March 2013   #14
Isn't anyone else a tiny bit disappointed they didn't implement a node based workflow...

Old 03 March 2013   #15
Originally Posted by marc-austin: Isn't anyone else a tiny bit disappointed they didn't implement a node based workflow...

Was thinking that as I was watching the videos actually but, the new layer workflow seems much better than the previous headache.

http://coldsidedigital.tumblr.com - 3ds Max Blog

Thread Closed share thread