Houdini 12.5 Released with Ocean and Cloud FX Tools

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2013
Houdini 12.5 Released with Ocean and Cloud FX Tools

SideFX is proud to announce the immediate release of Houdini 12.5 which offers a wealth of new and enhanced features including Cloud FX , Ocean FX, OpenVDB volume sculpting tools and more:

http://bit.ly/10S40FN

03 March 2013
Wow! Downloading in 4...3..now.

03 March 2013
Ouch!!!

OUCH!...I love this part of the year. All the new toys coming out. Houdini ringing the gong and in style. And this is just a .5 release. Wonder why small fishes will grow up and eat the big ones some day?
SIDEFX 4 LIFE . Hope the SESI servers let me get my hands on it.

03 March 2013
Congrats and SESI should be proud!
What a nice long list
Quote: NEW FEATURES

VFX

Cloud FX Tools

New Cloud sculpting and rendering toolset available on a dedicated shelf:

• Cloud Rig - This tool creates a cloud network using the Cloud, Cloud Noise and Cloud Light nodes in combination along with a Sunlight and Skylight to create a complete cloud setup.
  • Cloud - This tool converts geometry into a cloud volume and a gives you control over the shape and density of the volume. Secondary Shapes can be added to give your volume a puffier look.
  • Cloud Noise - This tool adds a noise pattern to the volume to create a more distinct cloud-like shape.
  • Cloud Light - This tool computes a light field to support the rendering of the volume. This approximates the scattering of light in a cloud to create a more efficient rendering.
  • These Cloud tools are built using the new OpenVDB Sparse Volume tools.
Ocean FX Tools

New Ocean FX tools make it easier to integrate ocean surfaces into your VFX work:

• Ocean Waves - This tool uses volumes to deform geometry to create an animated ocean surface. You can visualize the results in the viewport then export a displacement texture to use at render time. This tool is on the Deform shelf.
  • Wave Tank - This tool creates a FLIP fluid simulation with whitewater from an underlying ocean surface. This tool is on the Particle Fluids shelf.
  • WhiteWater - New, unified whitewater solver creates spray, foam and churn based on an underlying FLIP fluid sim. This tool is on the Particle Fluids shelf.
  • Mist - This tool emits mist particles into a smoke simulation one-way based on an underlying FLIP fluid sim. This tool is on the Particle Fluids shelf.
  • New Ocean Spectrum and Ocean Evaluate geometry nodes used to generate ocean surface, volume and point outputs.
Sparse Volumes

• Native support for OpenVDB primitives. OpenVDB is an open source C++ library comprising a novel hierarchical data structure and a suite of tools for the efficient storage and manipulation of sparse volumetric data and is developed and maintained by DreamWorks Animation Visit openvdb.org for more information.
  • Over a dozen VDB geometry nodes to create, manipulate and convert VDB volumes: Convert, Activate, Advect Points, Analysis, Combine, Fracture, From Particles, From Polygons, Renormalize SDF, Resample, Reshape SDF, Smooth, Smooth SDF, Vector Merge, Vector Split, Visualize Tree.
  • Native viewport and Mantra support for VDB primitives.
  • VDB volumes in Mantra have support for vector VEX attributes.
  • SOP support for doing forward and inverse Fast Fourier transforms on 2D and 3D volumes: Volume FFT SOP.
Fluids.

• Accurate handling of droplet particles.
  • Faster and more scalable FLIP fluid simulations.
  • Fully OpenCL-accelerated Gas simulation pipeline in Pyro.
  • OpenCL DOP for custom acceleration of simulation performance.
  • The FLIP solver can now handle animated density and viscosity as well as animated timescales.
  • FLIP fluids now use OpenVDB to generate the fluid surface and use uniform volumes for rendering.
Bullet

• New constraint types: Slider and Cone Axis which is useful for rag-doll simulation.
  • Ability to handle concave geometry.
  • Support for Cylinder geometry types.
  • Support for interpenetrating or “bad” geometry.
  • More reliable behaviour under complex scenarios.
  • Ability to visualize objects that have been put to sleep by the Bullet solver.
  • Ability to toggle collision detection between objects.
  • Ability to handle an animated centre of mass.
  • General performance improvements.
Cloth

• Optimized performance and collision support.
  • Support for panel workflows.
  • Support for per-vertex multiplier attributes, in addition to per-point attributes, offering more freedom in controlling the behavior of parts of the cloth.
  • UV support for triangles and cloth -- the UV coordinates represent the threading of the material and make the solver independent of the underlying topology.
  • Improved force model, with more independence between stretch, shear and bend.
  • Visualization of velocity and surface collision thickness which takes into account the point thickness attribute.
  • Cloth shear stiffness and damping are now independent of their stretch equivalents.
Hair and Fur

• New, surface-based collision - more accurate than the existing volume-based collision method.

direct link for all the goodies!
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?opt...2447&Itemid=360

03 March 2013
Does this release fix the Houdini freezing randomly bug with windows 8 and nvidia cards?

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: Does this release fix the Houdini freezing randomly bug with windows 8 and nvidia cards?

Is your problem related to GEFORCE cards? If so then this should be resolved with the next driver update which is due soon. The drivers have been fixed for the pro-level cards but the GEFORCE drivers are still being worked on.

Here is a note on our system requirements page about this issue.

"Win 8 users with geforce cards should not use driver 310 or later(houdini will hang). Use driver 306.97 instead. Nvidia is aware of the bug and will update their drivers with a fix in the very near future."

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?opt...=415&Itemid=269

03 March 2013
Yea using a GTX 470. Good to hear Nvidia is releasing a fix soon because I can't go back to older drivers.

Thanks for the heads up Robert!

03 March 2013
WOW! SideFX knows which tools Fx artists need! Congratulations again to your awesome team! As a 3dsMax user I can only cry that we don't have such updates anymore in max.

03 March 2013
This looks fantastic. It's hard to justify NOT using Houdini at this point. It's like having Maya, Real Flow, Rayfire, FumeFX and Renderman rolled into one...but even better 'cause it's fully customizable to boot.
Great job, SESI.

03 March 2013
Wow! Just stunned by this release. OpenVDB tools and OceanFX look amazing. Is the latter an official and improved implementation of all the HOT stuff floating around online?

I still wonder why many studios (besides the obvious ones) don't see value in mass adopting Houdini for a larger part of their pipeline. Do people generally consider this to be an expensive package for the fully featured version? Like another post mentioned, it's so many tools rolled into one that the price point seems definitely justified.

03 March 2013
This is impressive, and you call it an 0.5 ...

Originally Posted by noizFACTORY: I still wonder why many studios (besides the obvious ones) don't see value in mass adopting Houdini for a larger part of their pipeline. Do people generally consider this to be an expensive package for the fully featured version? Like another post mentioned, it's so many tools rolled into one that the price point seems definitely justified.

Well sachin , it's not that easy to find good pilots who know how to drive fast and efficiently with a Ferrari ,without going out of the track ... I'm actually switching and i drive most of the time in the grass at the moment (maybe the beer doesn't help ...)

Last edited by SebKaine : 03 March 2013 at 11:01 PM.

03 March 2013
Any new character tools.

03 March 2013
Great update !!!

Quote: Well sachin , it's not that easy to find good pilots who know how to drive fast and efficiently with a Ferrari ,without going out of the track ... I'm actually switching and i drive most of the time in the grass at the moment (maybe the beer doesn't help ...)

yes that's a big problem here, million of max and maya user but almost no houdini user........

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by noizFACTORY: Wow! Just stunned by this release.

...and the list in incomplete!

Quote: I still wonder why many studios (besides the obvious ones) don't see value in mass adopting Houdini for a larger part of their pipeline. Do people generally consider this to be an expensive package for the fully featured version? Like another post mentioned, it's so many tools rolled into one that the price point seems definitely justified.

The lack of artists is the problem, albeit most big houses use Houdini for years. Interestingly smaller facilities hesitate to adopt Houdini, which is strange, because for one it's cheaper than full compound of equivalent tools, and for two, it's really enabling tool for many effects and approaches hard to achieve without coding otherwise. For average Maya based studio without dev support Houdini opens many doors.

Saying that, I know a company or two, which abandoned Houdini after years of successful usage just because they could't find senior artists for it. And you really need a single senior with a team of padavans to make successful story out of it.

03 March 2013
nice timing!

Thread Closed share thread