10% price hike on 3dsmax/maya (UK)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #61
Quote:
Originally Posted by kees
Sorry :( I am on the Maya team.
Oops. I saw the disclaimer on your site, stating the plugins were no longer for sale, as you were with Autodesk now. Sorry...I assumed you were now part of the Max team. Thought that was at least some good news for Max users. Guess not.

Old 03 March 2013   #62
Quote:
not long now my friends, the Autodesk 2014 line up is just a few days away.

Crossed fingers it's going to be a "hum dinger" of a reveal too!

next week can't get here fast enough

Old 03 March 2013   #63
I'm currently a student studying 3D animation, and started using 3ds Max 2010 when it was first released. When I first chose to learn 3ds Max it was because there were plenty of resources for learning the software. But I sometimes ask myself: if I were to start again (in 2013), what software would I use? And I think the answer I would come to would be Blender or Modo.

The variety and quality of Blender's development is perhaps only second to ZBrush and the developmental curve of Modo seems to be quite steep and their recent merger with The Foundry holds some very interesting possibilities for the future.

But it's difficult: every student wants to get themselves in a position that they can get a job, so when you see the vast majority of vacancies being offered to people with skills in 3ds Max or Maya, then that's hard to ignore. But I think as smaller start up companies build pipelines using tools other than those offered by Autodesk and grow into large organisations, positions for artists with skills in other softwares will become more commonplace.

But at the moment, from a students point of view, it seems to be a perpetual cycle: I learn an Autodesk software to get a job, I work with Autodesk software to build a pipeline and people are hired to help me who also have knowledge of Autodesk software and the cycle repeats.

Having said these things, I must also say that I have no industry experience so my view of industry compared with seasoned veterans is obviously different, but I thought that I might be able to offer a different perspective for what it's worth.

Old 03 March 2013   #64
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread