10% price hike on 3dsmax/maya (UK)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #16
Originally Posted by cobra6: Seriously Autodesk, aren't you already swimming in money by now. Take it easy.

Cobra 6

Not exactly - at least their Media&Entertainment sector is shrinking ( revenue wise ) .
See the attached picture

This is an excerpt of their financial results report for Q4/Financial Year 2013, published in the end of february 2013
I doubt that increasing the prices for everything ( upgrades/subscription/new licenses ) will turn arround this trend. They will throw themself out of the whole market if they act like that much longer...

Here's a quote from the doc

Quote: Revenue from our Media and Entertainment (M&E) business segment decreased 16 percent to $47 million,compared to the fourth quarter last year and decreased 4 percent sequentially. Revenue from our animation products including Maya, 3dsMax, and our Entertainment Creation Suites decreased 15 percent compared to the fourth quarter last year, and 8 percent sequentially. Revenue from Creative Finishing decreased 17 percent
compared to the fourth quarter last year, and increased 7 percent sequentially. The decrease in M&E revenue is related primarily to a general decrease in the M&E industry end market demand, as well as the inclusion of our M&E products in other Autodesk industry suites.

Here''s the whole doc to read...
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/Externa...TF8VHlwZT0z&t=1
Attached Images
File Type: png numbers.png (11.7 KB, 3 views)

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

Old 03 March 2013   #17
Originally Posted by spacefrog: I doubt that increasing the prices for everything ( upgrades/subscription/new licenses ) will turn arround this trend.

I'm wondering if even dropping prices would fix it, unless it was a really substantial drop.

Old 03 March 2013   #18
For Max, it's primarily archviz, then games, then vfx.

For me, it's not cost so much as what we get for the money, and the direction taken.

E.g. caddies, ribbons, particle flow pretty much stagnant (and I don't consider existing plugins bundled as development)

Add to that decisions like flat rate 70% upgrade prices, subscriptions only getting the full benefits if you bought into the Creation Suite, laptop licenses and legacy versions as a subscription 'benefit'.

I just had enough of being taken for granted - they need to offer some carrots and not taking any opportunity to wave sticks and spook users with 'Price rises are coming, buy 3 year subscription in advance' guff.

It feels like what happened with combustion, but across the product lines - and look how that turned out.

Old 03 March 2013   #19
Its pretty standard practice surely ? Buy out all the competition then jack the price up as high as you like ?

I guess the slightly good thing is that competitors will be able to really undercut autodesk now and it could make way for a serious competitor that can still charge a price and make money but be a fraction of the this yearly subscription. Being honest I don't really see a competator for xsi,max,maya at the moment but with price this high, maybe modo, 4d will step up and give us something we cant say no to?

My finger are crossed for modo, mari and nuke to come together into some kind of ultra package/bundle and throw in an Arnold license? THAT would be something that people would take notice of and quite happily tell autodesk to do one.

www.willelliott.co.uk

Polycount Checker Max script

Old 03 March 2013   #20
Originally Posted by irwit: ..I guess the slightly good thing is that competitors will be able to really undercut autodesk now and it could make way for a serious competitor that can still charge a price and make money but be a fraction of the this yearly subscription..

It makes me wonder how ZBrush can make money at a one off $699 and free upgrades forever, especially as they continually and significantly evolve and improve it.

Old 03 March 2013   #21
...and then I see realtime archviz in action with two 580 cards and Cycles, and the constant barrage of interesting, enthusiastic updates and bug fixes with every new version of Blender, and I start to wonder: why, AD? That 10% price hike pays for one GPU render node. ;-)

http://www.blendernation.com/2013/0...-action-archviz

Old 03 March 2013   #22
Quote: if it doesn't knock the ball out of the park (3dsmax 2014) then i'm off come June when my subs are up.

Just out of interest what is your preferred choice of non-AD software for :
Modelling
Animation
Rendering
etc.

Old 03 March 2013   #23
Originally Posted by RebelPixel: Considering that someone from Autodesk updated the web page with new features for Softimage 2014 and the "main" feature you found was "the camera sequencer" i wouldnt hold my breath. Maybe Maya and Max got lucky in terms of news.
(AD took the webpage down as soon as they realized what they did. there is still a google cache page online..if you think that is a year of work its quite depressing).

here you can read some reactions..
http://www.si-community.com/communi....php?f=4&t=3492

Oh wow. I pretty much don't expect to see a Softimage 2015 if that is the entire "what is new" list for SI 2014. Or they will probably just bundle it free with Maya while never updating it again like they do with Composite.

Old 03 March 2013   #24
Originally Posted by Dillster: It makes me wonder how ZBrush can make money at a one off $699 and free upgrades forever, especially as they continually and significantly evolve and improve it.

That's a great piece of software for a great one off price that gets updated regularly so its actually a better product if you pay for it. Max, Maya, xsi are too expensive and never really change. I could easily open a copy of Max 2008 and do the same work I am doing now in Max 2013, but I have paid how much over the 5 years of subscription ?

Zbrush users wouldn't stand a chance doing what they do now in a 5 year old version of zbrush and it has cost them nothing but the initial price.

I think this is why its so common place for people to have dodgy copies of software outside the workplace but also common for zbrush artists to have a REAL copy for personal use. 700 dollars one off payment and get the update the day it is available is a pretty good deal if you ask me.

I guess that is how they make money ? Offer a good product at a fair price without you having to keep reaching for your wallet every year.

www.willelliott.co.uk

Polycount Checker Max script

Old 03 March 2013   #25
Autodesk will kill himself in 4 or 5 years. Putting same tools in every year adding 2.,3 plugs and making a 2013.5(for what?)

Damn look at those foundry(Mari 2.0) and Sidefx(Houdini 12.5) they have put something which artists need.

Old 03 March 2013   #26
Originally Posted by hotknife: Just out of interest what is your preferred choice of non-AD software for :
Modelling
Animation
Rendering
etc.

Modelling - lightwave - standard models or zbrush:organic characters (i have both)
animation - non autodesk...that would have to be lightwave
rendering - modo 601 - the renderer is excelent for stills

my current lineup of software is:
lightwave - 2 seats one at 9.6 and one at 10.0
3dsmax - on subscription
zbrush
modo - 601

i bought modo 601 last year as a 'plan b' to the lack lustre releases of 3dsmax over the previous 4 years and also the awful time i had with the whole core U-turn with lightwave..i wanted a stand alone app that had nothing to do with autodesk or newtek at the time.

currently i use modo for rendering stills mainly, but i could see it taking on more and more work if Autodesk continue to squeeze the life out of 3dsmax.

As for lightwave, i have it and use it for certains projects such as VFX w ork on sci fi projects such as Venus Rises.

If i had to guess where i'll be in 5 years time?
I'd probably say i'll still be using zbrush and modo and probably take up blender to fill the gaps.

I've been using 3dsmax sunce 1999 and whilst it's sad to look at dropping subs i will not be held to ransom for rubbish buggy releases, they need to finish the re write and get the app fast/lean and mean and put some actual EFFORT into developing it. Changing the icons so they are bland and unreadable is not enough for a new release in my opinion. Taking 120 seconds to boot up is not on either. Nitrus viewports...really?
Dropping reactor..what about all the scenes people made with reactor?

Iray...useless slow and limited functionality...i require a preview renderer for my renderer (mental ray) not a red headed stepchild that works in only a few scenes that need to be built with iray i mind.

Autodesk need to get a grip and i don't mean around the throat of their customers.

the fat lady isn't singing yet, I'll give Autodesk a chance to deliver a stuning release with 2014 if i feel it's worth 650 upgrade fee and looks to be headed somewhere cool for 2015 they might get my money still.

http://www.cresshead.com
youtube channel:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/cresshead

"zero stones - zero crates"

Last edited by cresshead : 03 March 2013 at 05:34 PM.

Old 03 March 2013   #27
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: Oh wow. I pretty much don't expect to see a Softimage 2015 if that is the entire "what is new" list for SI 2014. Or they will probably just bundle it free with Maya while never updating it again like they do with Composite.

Damn, the day that happens will be one of the saddest days in a history of CG. Letting rot and die what probably is the best all-around package would be a crime. However, I wouldn't be surprised at all if it happened one day. After Apple killed Shake some years ago I realized nothing is safe when owned by greedy corporations and twisted minds running them

Old 03 March 2013   #28
After a few decades of use I took the decision to bail on Autodesk products last year. I've moved on to "other" vendors where I feel I am treated better and get real value for money. You know what, I don't miss them in the least. I got tired of putting my money down the AD rat hole.

Cheers,

J

Certified Softimage Instructor
Ask about our 3D Scanning Services!

Meshmasters.com

Last edited by 3dtutorial : 03 March 2013 at 12:30 PM.

Old 03 March 2013   #29
My reseller titled the email they sent out as: 'Dont shoot the Messenger'. they obviously aren't impressed either :-/

Old 03 March 2013   #30
I wish some people who work at autodesk would at times chime in and say what they think about this whole thing. I know people who work at autodesk and actually develop some of these applications post here. Sometimes I feel bad because I know all the developers who work at autodesk are probably really brilliant, crazy talented programmers, just the management and financial departments tend to screw things up. I'd really like to hear from some of the programmers on how they feel about the future of 3DS and Maya.

Thread Closed share thread