RobertoOrtiz
[Forum Leader]

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
Variety: Is the VFX Biz in India Tricking Artists Into Working for Free?

Quote:
"There is a disturbing trend in India for the past couple years in India (Especially since around November 2008, around when the recession hit) where VFX artists are forced to work for “experience” or “goodwill i.e we’ll keep you in mind” in “apprentice” or “training” positions. These apprenticeships usually last for a period ranging between 3-9 months and are generally unpaid. Some companies at the end of the term of these apprenticeships cut loose the interns stating reasons of “insufficient quality” or the more popular “We just don’t have any projects going on right now….We’ll call you”. OR They might consider extending your training to an extra three months or more, if you choose to remain unpaid for the duration. Whats more, is that you will have to repeat the whole process when you join another studio, because experience certificates and references are non-existent here (unless the studio exec is your close personal friend/relation). It appears that cheap labor isn’t good enough, now the labor is required to be free. Thats not to say that people are not selected to full-time or continual work, its just that is very rare. The end result being that the companies, get an almost inexhaustible pool of FREE Labor, allowing them to turn essentially a profit without Cost of production overhead in terms of labor. "

http://variety.com/2013/more/news/i...ree-1200004302/
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 03-07-2013, 05:00 PM   #2
mattwood
Frequenter

DELETED SPAM

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 03-07-2013 at 06:02 PM.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:09 PM   #3
nimajneb
Frequenter

Benjamin A. Slack
Artist / Animator
nimajneb.com
Kalamazoo, USA

Ok, that's incredibly disturbing. Why am I trying to break into this trade again? My competition is people who work for free for up to a year and who give companies deposits for the privilege. This is why globalization taken to the extreme is bad for everyone (except maybe the corporations). No laws to prevent the precipitous rush to the bottom and horrendous exploitation. Subsidized food at work? What's next, a return to the company stores of the railroad barons? Gah! It's just freaking depressing.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:35 PM   #4
Panupat
Expert

portfolio
Panupat Chong
Thailand

Actually, in Thailand, some studios even charge the intern/students who want to work on their projects.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #5
LucentDreams
lover of gophers

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Kai Pedersen
Lighting Lead
Double Negative
Vancouver, Canada

Panupet, sounds like PrimeFocus in India charging employees a deposit?
It's terrible but lets look in the mirror, DD's short lived school, Academy of Arts now? Let's stop making these issues about foreign cultures and treat them for what they are, issues that affect all of us.

As a teacher of VFX this is nothing especially new, we students in Canada and the US working for cheap and free all the time. Heck it's a common debate regarding intern/apprenticeships. Some studios pay, some don't lets not blame India for it.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:19 PM   #6
Strob
since 1994

portfolio
Jocelyn Strob Simard
freelance 3D Artist
StrobFX
Laurentides, Canada

If those workers are talented and know their stuff they must be paid. But if someone don't know anything about 3D and want to learn on the spot. I don't see any problems for a company to teach him for free. All is in the details. I once have a friend of mine on a contract : I was teaching him for free and the contract actually took more time than if I would have been alone to do it... Teaching someone really takes time and effort.

My models on Turbosquid

I'm available now for freelance work. Act quick if you need me, it won't last long.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:47 PM   #7
bcharris916
portfolio
Brannon Harris
Student
Sacramento, USA

i take little vested interest in a notion of "doomsday" for VFX industry. Because of globalization and the ability for a business to exploit an industry and it's incoming talent, the art itself is expanded and therefore creates more need for such an industry. lets just keep the ball rolling and hang on.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:41 PM   #8
Als
Expert
portfolio
Aleksandar Stiglic
digital artist, 3D
United Kingdom

[sarcasm]
Hey, I have 30 shots here which need rotoscoping.
I will spend WHOLE DAY teaching you how to do it.
And next 30 days you spend rotoscoping, you will be REAL GOOD at it.
All thanks to me. Now pay me.
[/sarcasm]

Not exactly the education you'd like.

Als

VFX rule no. 387
# Just redo it!

Old 03-08-2013, 01:26 AM   #9
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

More cheap journalism unearthing year old (or more) news because with the new subsidy witch hunt it becomes actual again for all those who're jumping on the bandwagon only now.

As if the practice wasn't common In South Africa, Spain, Belgium, Portugal, and more recently the States (with D2's school). And those are just countries I know of from dealing directly with staff who lived that after coming in my teams. I'm sure there are plenty more to patch onto that list.

Not that it's good news or anything, but it's not news, just Cohen cashing in on being the only one in Variety giving a damn about VFX, and getting free article material out of some copy and pastes.

More smoke that has people in other, high, places rolling on the floor laughing at how we're looking at the wrong issues while they keep cashing in on our work.
I'm glad to see opportunist meta journalism routinely re-promoted here, truly. It's not like it's a despicable practice that's wiping real journalism off the face of the earth or anything.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 03-08-2013, 03:40 AM   #10
jigu
FlakMaster!

portfolio
Jignesh Jariwala
3D/VFX Artist
Freelance
surat, India

Send a message via Yahoo to jigu
One of the big problems in animation in India is those animation institutes. Some are doing false marketing and telling students that animation is booming and thus getting them into animation and those students think they will make good money and get into animation, not because of passion and interest. They are just kinda cheating to students, students that come out from those institutes mostly don't have proper/good showreel/works. And they are so desperate they just get into working for free into studio.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:46 AM   #11
fablefox
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Azhar Mat Zin
Fable Fox
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO
More cheap journalism unearthing year old (or more) news because with the new subsidy witch hunt it becomes actual again for all those who're jumping on the bandwagon only now.

As if the practice wasn't common In South Africa, Spain, Belgium, Portugal, and more recently the States (with D2's school). And those are just countries I know of from dealing directly with staff who lived that after coming in my teams. I'm sure there are plenty more to patch onto that list.

Not that it's good news or anything, but it's not news, just Cohen cashing in on being the only one in Variety giving a damn about VFX, and getting free article material out of some copy and pastes.

More smoke that has people in other, high, places rolling on the floor laughing at how we're looking at the wrong issues while they keep cashing in on our work.
I'm glad to see opportunist meta journalism routinely re-promoted here, truly. It's not like it's a despicable practice that's wiping real journalism off the face of the earth or anything.

Yeah.

I mean, the forum post that the article linked to started on 10th Jan, 2011.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:33 AM   #12
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO

+1

You beat me to it.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:05 AM   #13
SebKaine
Expert

portfolio
Emmanuel Mouillet
Fx Artist
Freelance
Paris, FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz
Quote:
"There is a disturbing trend in India for the past couple years in India (Especially since around November 2008, around when the recession hit) where VFX artists are forced to work for “experience” or “goodwill i.e we’ll keep you in mind” in “apprentice” or “training” positions.. "

Unpaid or underpaid internship is also a National Sports in France and in all kind of industries ... (some say that , famous cosmetic brands ... are really impressive at this sports ) , This is a speciality of the country as famous as his wine and cheese and I would refuse the copyright of such practice to the indian folks ...

Last edited by SebKaine : 03-08-2013 at 11:09 AM.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:51 PM   #14
mattwood
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwood
DELETED SPAM

This isn't spam Not yet anyway. Give it a year or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwood before sloppy moderation
Hey, I earned $12.54 last month working from home. All I had to do was download this easy to use roto software and these things called plates. Anyone can join, and its almost free. Sign up today!

Old 03-08-2013, 09:04 PM   #15
RobertoOrtiz
[Forum Leader]

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
This is not the place to post that....Send me a PM.

EDIT
Here is an update on the story:
VFXSoldier has posted the incriminating documents

http://vfxsoldier.wordpress.com/201...indian-workers/
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 03-08-2013 at 09:13 PM.

Thread Closed share thread