Wacom teases HD mobile tablet for creatives

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #16
Finally. I hope it will be about 15" at least with 7-8 hours of battery life.
Zbrushing on such a thing would be cool as hell.

Old 03 March 2013   #17
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: Agreed. I don't want another android tablet.

Fair enough.

How about this then? Release a super expensive windows tablet pc (it'll be expensive because its wacom), and also release a super inexpensive "sketchbook" version that I can use to sketch, then transfer to my pc for finishing.

Aw who am I kidding? This is wacom, that will be expensive too.

Last edited by fahr : 03 March 2013 at 02:03 AM.

Old 03 March 2013   #18
This'll be interesting to watch! I've wanted tech like this for a while. The best options at the moment seem to be the Samsung Ativ Smart PC Pro (desktop version of Windows 8, 11.6" full HD IPS screen, dual-core i5 with 4GB RAM and a pressure-sensitive Wacom pen) and the upcoming Thinkpad Lenovo Helix (seems to be like the Samsung but with options for an i7 and more RAM). It'll be interesting to see what Wacom adds that these tablets don't already have! Maybe the tilt and bearing options of the Intuos. As has been mentioned, surely they'll have to compete with the big companies on price.

Old 03 March 2013   #19
I think one day there will be a tablet that will detect the pressure sensitivity and tilt of our fingers. Maybe in 10 years or so.

Old 03 March 2013   #20
I'd hoped Windows 8 would bring a wide variety of pen display options, but so far it seems like they all fit into one of two categories I don't like:

Low resolution: 1280x800 and 1366x768 don't offer enough space for my workflow.

Excessive PPI:
Cramming 1920x1080 into an 11" screen makes text nice and crisp, but for me it doesn't help productivity. With magnification off, software UI appears so tiny it's a hindrance; with magnification on, there's no benefit over low-res displays.

If I'm going to buy a new tablet/convertible, what I really want is a 15" full HD display with stylus support. To my knowledge no such machine exists, but maybe Wacom will break the mold.

Old 03 March 2013   #21
Originally Posted by Dillster: No pressure sensitivity with ZBrush or Photoshop either. That sours the deal for me.

Microsoft have said they're working with Wacom on a proper wintab driver but no ETA has been given.

Old 03 March 2013   #22
a 17" touchscreen laptop that can use a pen is the sweet spot, then you can have hi res screen and a large enough screen for it not to look for tiny icons

http://www.cresshead.com
youtube channel:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/cresshead

"zero stones - zero crates"

Old 03 March 2013   #23
Originally Posted by pixelforge: Microsoft have said they're working with Wacom on a proper wintab driver but no ETA has been given.

OK, let me see if I understand this correctly. Wacom is selling 1920 x 1080 screens to Microsoft. Screens that supposedly have the same pressure levels as the Cintiqs. yet they mysteriously don't seem to work correctly. The same style screens are listed on Wacoms site for more money than the Whole PC in the Surface Pro. Then not even a month after Surface Pro is introduced, Wacom announce their own tablet that will be what the Surface Pro is suppose to be. Is it me or is there something not quite right here?

The other thing that is fishy is why is it so hard to actually see the legit pressure levels of the Surface Pro? Wacom has nebulous info and Microsofts own Surface site is also nebulous, what gives?

http://www.microsoft.com/Surface/en...dows-8-pro/home

This link is to a Wacom screen that is very similar to the screen that would be closest to the Surface Pro, but is lower res and less pressure levels.
http://www.wacom.com/products/pen-displays/dtus

personally I think Wacom is not being cool here. I am not saying it gets to the height of being wrong, nothing like that. But it is not cool. frankly I am still interested in the Surface Pro mainly cause it looks like Microsoft got Wacom to come down in price off of the Tablet tech. When they get the driver working I will be interested in the performance in PS.

all very interesting.

Old 03 March 2013   #24
From what I understand Microsoft is using their own own pen driver. There is pressure sensitivity in some apps like Art Rage and Sketchbook Pro, but apps that require the Wacom wintab driver like Photoshop and others don't currently have pressure sensitivity and won't until Wacom and Microsoft develop a proper wintab driver for Surface Pro.

Old 03 March 2013   #25
What I don't understand is why is it so tough for other companies like n-trig to compete with Wacom. This space needs some competition.

Old 03 March 2013   #26
Originally Posted by rock: What I don't understand is why is it so tough for other companies like n-trig to compete with Wacom. This space needs some competition.

From what I heard it's patent. When you can have a monopoly through patent, this is what happened. They do license it out as long as it doesn't eat into their market sector.

Story goes that Steve Jobs want to license Wacom for ipad, but Wacom said no. SJ being SJ, he makes sure that ipad will have the best user experience WITHOUT having the need of a stylus. He is 'thermonuclear' in that regard. The rest was history.

Well, that how the rumours goes.

In the meantime, try supporting companies such as Genius or Yignova(?). If nobody buy their product they can't improve it.

Old 03 March 2013   #27
Originally Posted by fablefox: From what I heard it's patent. When you can have a monopoly through patent, this is what happened. They do license it out as long as it doesn't eat into their market sector.

According to Wikipedia, the patent Wacom has for "electromagnetic resonance technology" is expired. I'm not sure this helps though as they probably have a ton of other patents for the exact same thing, with only slight variations to the design (or just the wording lol). Given the length of patents, it's entirely possible we may see more of Wacom's expire in the near future. Naturally this would be a really good thing for consumers, so long as there are companies out there willing to risk everything it would take to produce and market their competing product. There is also the potential for a patent lawsuit from Wacom to consider, even if it is expired. This all makes it a pretty risky venture.

I look forward to seeing what Wacom produces, though not the price which I agree will certainly be very high. I always figured they would do this eventually, especially with how popular this type of tablet has become. I'm only surprised it took them this long.

Old 03 March 2013   #28
Originally Posted by fahr: Fair enough.

How about this then? Release a super expensive windows tablet pc (it'll be expensive because its wacom), and also release a super inexpensive "sketchbook" version that I can use to sketch, then transfer to my pc for finishing.

Aw who am I kidding? This is wacom, that will be expensive too.

The point is you can already get things for sketching, the Samsung Note has a Wacom digitizer and runs Android. There's the 5" phone that has the same thing, there's several Windows tablets that also have Wacom digitizers. You don't have to wait for Wacom to make a more expensive version

Old 03 March 2013   #29
That is true. The thing is that the Surface Pro is rumored to have 1024 pressure levels and is 1080p screen with a PC all built in. The other screens are only 512 and some other resolution than 1080p.

Old 03 March 2013   #30
Originally Posted by Ivan D Young: That is true. The thing is that the Surface Pro is rumored to have 1024 pressure levels and is 1080p screen with a PC all built in. The other screens are only 512 and some other resolution than 1080p.

Samsung ATIV Smart PC Pro, been out since September. Has 1024 levels, 1080p screen and pretty decent specs for an ultrabook.

I bought one, and a few buddies at R&H bought one after using mine. Great little piece of kit

Thread Closed share thread