CGTalk > Main > News
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Old 03-03-2013, 07:02 PM   #31
Dan Ritchie

The most aggrieved members of the visual effects community are doing what they always do, creating art and tools for the artistic community.
Project Dogwaffle is the (Un) natural Paint Program!
Old 03-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #32
CGSociety Staff
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
Originally Posted by Kai01W
When one of the biggest and most important trade magazine reports bullshit articles about our industry it is of no importance???
Sorry, but I'd very much like to know what shapes the perception of outsiders of our field.
Thanks Roberto for posting this.

Because it's just stirring the pot. People are already missable and pissed off, and starting yet another thread for people to complain incessantly in just seems pointless to me.

Anyone with half a brain reading that shit knows it's ridiculous; the article even clearly states they have no evidence. That's why it's a waste of time.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:07 PM   #33
Freelance Animator/Rigger
Brian Horgan
Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted by leigh
the article even clearly states they have no evidence.....

Heh, makes me think of the lawyer in the Simpsons :

"Judge: Mr. Hutz w've been in here for four hours. Do you have any evidence at all?
Hutz: Well, Your Honor. We've plenty of hearsay and conjecture. Those are kinds of evidence."

Old 03-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #34
Wayne Burns
Illustrator / designer
Fukuoka%2BCity, Japan
LOL... what a load of crap... I can just see a movie coming out of this already...

"Terror on Hollywood! FX affect" - filmed entirely on greenscreen BG.

On another note slightly off topic; "Autodesk also had its usual big year with the Acad, as for the 18th consecutive year all the visual effects Oscar nominees used Autodesk software" Surprize, surprize...Gee I wonder why??? Buy out all your competition and you are king of the mountain. Leave no options for your clientelle and of course all they can do is use your software. Sorry I know it is off topic but this is amazing that they put on high a monopolizing software developing company yet fail to see that the reason this software is as good as it is is because of the people who are using its software, thrashing it to bits and finding bugs, better work flow improvements, better pipeline possibilities and freely giving this info back to this giant who takes that credit for this knowlege and just does what it should be doing in the first place developing software to fill the needs of the users.

Personally, VFX is in my opinion so overly used and is now making movies so unrealistic that I have stopped going to the cinema for more than a year, I think Avatar was the last one I saw on the big screen, amazing work in there but just too much of anything is a bad thing.

I do take off my hat in respect though to all you ladies and gentlemen, colleagues, here and else where who work so hard on the film and TV graveyard shifts just to get the imparctical wishes of a director fulfilled, and to feed the ever increasing cravings of a public who just go to a movie or watch TV to get more and more eye candy, without the real meat, a good story.

Maybe the VFX teams should deliberately screw up some jobs to get the industries focus back on track not just on the directors and actors, but on the hundreds of people who devote longer and longer hours working to make sure everything comes together just right. But then again doing so would probably worse than "Cutting off the nose to spite the face" It hurts like hell and no one wold look at you the same again.

It has been real disappointing news here as of late. Let's stop all of the pointly rumours here at least, unless it has real substance.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:11 PM   #35
Always Learning
Dylan Saunders
Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted by grafixsuz
....... Sorry I know it is off topic but this is amazing that they put on high a monopolizing software , and to feed the ever increasing cravings of a public who just go to a movie or watch TV to get more and more eye candy, without the real meat, a good story.....

It's probably unfair to assume the cinema going public are all like this. Remember all the films that failed because the story was lame, and no amount of good VFX could save them? It's that same public who were canny enough to see through all the hype and realise the story wasn't up to par.
The cinema going public are probably more intelligent than you think. Sure they all like good VFX, but that isn't their primary reason for seeing a movie.
I like to learn.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #36
Art Compiler
Christian Storay
BIM & VDC Modeler
Lol, this is rich. I guess anyone related to field of programming or computers is on watch when the heads of industry screw them like this. 'Cause you know everyone's a terrorist now.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #37
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread