London, United%2BKingdom

Yellow journalism.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:59 AM   #17
vivapower
portfolio
Vivek Mohan
VFX Artist
India

Its better to be ignored by mainstream media than making us look as dumb creatures....

Old 03-01-2013, 09:13 AM   #18
Leionaaad
rigger mortis

portfolio
Leonard Leon
generalist
freelance
Timisoara, Romania

Send a message via Yahoo to Leionaaad
So...why not to write a letter asking how do they know this or better yet, retracting the article . Or else we will command the hacker army to take down Variety.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:18 AM   #19
Hirazi
none of the above

Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO
It's inane rubbish, and Cohen's reply to a private query about it was even dumber.
Why even bother giving it further audience by linking it here? Seriously.

I respectfully disagree. While I also think the contents of the article to be "inane rubbish", the way "other" media report on these matters would seem to be very much "on topic", even if (or maybe even: especially if) the way they report on it is pure drivel.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #20
Bullit
Lord of the posts

This isn't inane.
This is an hit piece with proposes of establishing a narrative like the angry tea party.
Now the vfx artists will know what is the MSM. I hope most smart already know what they are against up. It is just the establishment from top of Democractic party donors, to their media: NYT, WP , TV MsNBC etc...

Old 03-01-2013, 01:37 PM   #21
Kai01W
Lord of the posts

portfolio
kai.w
Compositor
London, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh

Why even post this here? It's a total waste of time.

When one of the biggest and most important trade magazine reports bullshit articles about our industry it is of no importance???
Sorry, but I'd very much like to know what shapes the perception of outsiders of our field.
Thanks Roberto for posting this.

-k

Old 03-01-2013, 02:48 PM   #22
pixelforge
Frequenter

Chip Matthews
Generalist
O-Zone, Inc.
Grand Rapids, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leionaaad
So...why not to write a letter asking how do they know this or better yet, retracting the article . Or else we will command the hacker army to take down Variety.

Writing letters to Variety about this article would be a good thing to do, and I hope a lot of people in the VFX industry do so, but doing it in anything but a respectful manner would only feed the false narrative that's being created. This was a hit piece. It likely didn't spring forth out of the vacuum. The author is probably acting as a shill for someone with a vested interest in short circuiting growing sympathy for the plight of VFX workers. That's something that should be countered, not fed.

Old 03-01-2013, 03:47 PM   #23
mattwood
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelforge
Writing letters to Variety about this article would be a good thing to do, and I hope a lot of people in the VFX industry do so, but doing it in anything but a respectful manner would only feed the false narrative that's being created. This was a hit piece. It likely didn't spring forth out of the vacuum. The author is probably acting as a shill for someone with a vested interest in short circuiting growing sympathy for the plight of VFX workers. That's something that should be countered, not fed.

Paranoid conspiracies won't help anything and neither will coming off as hypersensitive. The guy probably overheard an IT guy joking that the VFX firms should up their security or saw somebody venting on twitter and thought it sounded like something he could spin into a story. Scare stories sell and news outlets have evolved accordingly.

The whole article isn't slighting the industry at all. Most of it is exactly the sort of reporting that was cheered immediately after the Oscars. He's just gone further to say that the whole industry is so angry that something bad could happen. It's worth noting the line...

Quote:
The immediate provocation, however, is said to be a string of real and perceived slights during Sunday's Academy Awards ceremony, which provoked a torrent of fresh outrage vfx artists worldwide.

...where the reference to 'real slights' is more supportive than many fence-sitting articles.

Old 03-01-2013, 03:52 PM   #24
pixelforge
Frequenter

Chip Matthews
Generalist
O-Zone, Inc.
Grand Rapids, USA

Even if it's just pure link bait I think it warrants complaints to Variety. I don't read it often but I had thought it was a more respect-worthy trade magazine than to publish that kind of tinfoil hat garbage.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:32 PM   #25
Hirazi
none of the above

Netherlands

It would seem the offending article has been removed (or possibly moved):
the link the OP posted now seems to get you to an "Article Not Found" page now...

edit: apparently it only has been moved (not removed), see reply #29 below.

Last edited by Hirazi : 03-01-2013 at 07:08 PM.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:22 PM   #26
JohnnyRandom
Configurator

portfolio
John Rand
still wandering the binary void
salt lake city, USA

My Aunt worked for Variety for years... now I actually understand why she left.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:26 PM   #27
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Student
Still in college
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwood
The guy probably overheard an IT guy joking that the VFX firms should up their security or saw somebody venting on twitter and thought it sounded like something he could spin into a story.

That's not good enough. The absolute first rule of journalism is to not write a story that you know isnt true. The second rule is to have a source for the story, and there was no source quoted in that article. This is assuming the man who wrote it actually is a proper journalist and not a self styled one from the Dr. Goebbels school of propaganda.
I showed this to my Dad (he is a press shooter and works with journalists) and he said that sort of story in a newspaper would land the journalist and news editor in hot water. Basically they can't write lies or make up stories that don't exist except in the writers imagination, and for stories containing allegations the writer must either quote the name of his source or state that he has one.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:39 PM   #28
Bullit
Lord of the posts

Quote:
Paranoid conspiracies

What basis has the author to say that VFX artists will criminally sabotage the industry? None, nada, even the protests were mild, civilized by all standards. It was a way to paint them as dangerous nerds. No, i don't believe in the innocent clueless journalist when such a big jump as to be made.

Variety is the establishment, vfx artists wanting more of the apple pie disrupts the present equilibrium, don't expect establishment will not react.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:13 PM   #29
digitaltoon
Frequenter
portfolio
Andrew Holdun
3D Artist
Freelance
La Crescenta, USA

Variety Link

The article is here

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/v...k-fears-820598/

if you search under VFX you will find some other articles also.

I would say the article is a bit over the top. I also think seeing what is being said about your

industry is a good thing as it avoids just relying on group think. For instance as a progressive I

don't just read the read liberal blogs I read the tea party tirades so I get a better feel for what

is being said. I think also that the VFX industry as a whole has to become more coherent with

what it needs and wants. Otherwise you are playing into the hands of the people writing the

checks.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:19 PM   #30
digitaltoon
Frequenter
portfolio
Andrew Holdun
3D Artist
Freelance
La Crescenta, USA

VFX and the Ugly Tipping Point

Same Author from Variety

http://variety.com/2013/digital/new...g-point-820672/

To: Hollywood and the Motion Picture Academy
Re: Oscarís insults to visual effects

I see that you didnít take my advice about playing up vfx on the Oscars. Ratings are up anyway. Congrats! But before you pat yourself on the back too much, let me point out that without really trying, youíve radicalized a swath of the visual effects industry that until now was splintered and chaotic.

How bad was it? Well, if the vfx industry really does reform and organize, this past week may well be remembered as the tipping point that made change inevitable.

If you donít want a nasty and potentially destructive fight on your hands over the next few years, the least you could do is show some respect to the vfx industry. Just be polite. Itís not just good manners, itís enlightened self-interest.

Thread Closed share thread