DreamWorks Animation to Lay Off 350 Employees

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by doffer: I don't quite understand why Guardians wasn't more popular. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and so did the entire cinema.
I do really hope the next two films brings in what they want/need!
I totally agree! I really liked the movie.

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by doffer: According to boxofficemojo it made 300, counting outside of US
But I get what you are saying.

It'd be nice if Box Office Mojo could account for films' marketing budgets as well, not just production budgets (here's where they acknowledge the difference); as is, the site makes films look more profitable than they actually were.

From Wikipedia's article on Rise of the Guardians:

Quote: While the film did gross more than its $145 million budget, it still did not turn a profit for DreamWorks Animation due to its high production and marketing costs, forcing the studio to take an $83 million write-down.[47] This marks the first time the studio lost money on an animated film since Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas.[47][48]

03 March 2013
I saw The Croods this past weekend and was fairly entertained. Visually it was superb, story wise I'd put it somewhere between Shrek and Kung-Fu Panda (nowhere near the level of HTTYD though). Maybe on par with Monsters Vs. Aliens.

The environments, lighting, special effects and animation were all top notch. I really just thought the story kind of dragged it's feet at parts, but then it had a pretty strong ending. The voice acting was good, but none of the characters really sounded like the cavemen they were acting as. That seems the norm in animated films these days though.

03 March 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread