CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
DreamWorks Animation to Lay Off 350 Employees

Quote:
"DreamWorks Animation will lay off approximately 350 employees, about 15 percent of its full-time staff, CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg and CFO Lewis Coleman said Tuesday during the company’s fourth-quarter-earnings call. - See more at: http://www.thewrap.com/movies/article/dreamworks-animation-lay-350-employees-79381#sthash.bo5WfLEe.dpuf"
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 02-27-2013, 05:35 AM   #2
Meloncov
Expert

portfolio
Kevin Baker
Freelance Modeller
Oakland, USA

Wasn't this announced weeks ago?

Old 02-27-2013, 06:01 AM   #3
ManuelM
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Manuel Macha
Shadowcaster
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Send a message via ICQ to ManuelM Send a message via AIM to ManuelM Send a message via MSN to ManuelM Send a message via Yahoo to ManuelM
Depressing - are there any good news at all?

Quote:
"Our profit depends on the success of our next two films, 'The Croods' and 'Turbo.'"

Honestly, I didn't find any of the trailers for those movies particularly appealing. Maybe they should make a few more Shreks or Madagascars - those will surely make a profit.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:59 AM   #4
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Student
Still in college
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManuelM
Honestly, I didn't find any of the trailers for those movies particularly appealing. Maybe they should make a few more Shreks or Madagascars - those will surely make a profit.

They don't seem like life-saver films to me either.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:59 AM   #5
Darrolm
Frequenter
portfolio
Darrol Moore
Character TD | Generalist
Pasadena, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meloncov
Wasn't this announced weeks ago?
They announced layoffs but the numbers were just speculation and rumors. Now they are actually saying how many are being affected.

The overall the state of the company, along with everything else, is just depressing especially considering I will be graduating in just under a month now. I was really hoping to get into one of their outreach programs too but I was told those were off because of all of this.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:40 AM   #6
Celshader
Python Person

Jennifer Lynn Hachigian
CGFX/Pipeline
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManuelM
DHonestly, I didn't find any of the trailers for those movies particularly appealing.

I am avoiding all trailers for THE CROODS because I do not want any spoilers. I can't wait to see it in the theater.

I love Chris Sanders' previous films (LILO & STITCH, HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON), so I look forwards to watching THE CROODS.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:17 AM   #7
teruchan
Skeleton Man

portfolio
Terrence Walker
The Last King
of Scotland
Shanghai, China

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celshader
I am avoiding all trailers for THE CROODS because I do not want any spoilers. I can't wait to see it in the theater.

I love Chris Sanders' previous films (LILO & STITCH, HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON), so I look forwards to watching THE CROODS.

Knowing he did it makes a difference. Before reading this I had no intention of even looking at it.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 02-27-2013, 11:22 AM   #8
BartokDesign
ninguem

portfolio
mauricio Bartok
3d generalist
Brazil

Send a message via MSN to BartokDesign Send a message via Yahoo to BartokDesign
WTF is going on?

Old 02-27-2013, 11:38 AM   #9
doffer
Keying everything

portfolio
Christoffer Andersen
Animator
Valence, France

I think this is a different thing, than all the studio shut downs there has been lately.
Looking at the facts for the layoffs, it only seems logical to do so.

Pushing a movie into back into pre-pro is to me, a much better thing, than moving on with something that doesn't quite work. I think that sounds like good business

I don't quite understand why Guardians wasn't more popular. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and so did the entire cinema.
I do really hope the next two films brings in what they want/need!

Old 02-27-2013, 04:05 PM   #10
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Student
Still in college
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrolm
They announced layoffs but the numbers were just speculation and rumors. Now they are actually saying how many are being affected.

The overall the state of the company, along with everything else, is just depressing especially considering I will be graduating in just under a month now. I was really hoping to get into one of their outreach programs too but I was told those were off because of all of this.

I wish you luck getting work. Let us know how you fare, I know we all will be hoping you do we'll.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:49 PM   #11
cresshead
pro 3d scribbler

portfolio
stephen gilbert
3d designer/animator
United Kingdom

Send a message via AIM to cresshead Send a message via Yahoo to cresshead

http://www.cresshead.com
youtube channel:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/cresshead

"zero stones - zero crates"

Old 02-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #12
LucentDreams
lover of gophers

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Kai Pedersen
Lighting TD
Double Negative
Vancouver, Canada

I'm sorry for the people let go, but I agree this kind of layoff is a very different beast. While we may not agree with all their reasoning, Dreamworks is being proactive in reducing costs to make sure they are still around in a few years. R&H for example floated a lot of staff last year, that is definitely a major factor of their current situation. IF they'd done a bunch of layoffs last year people would have freaked and screamed, but who knows maybe it would have been enough to keep them in business (probably not, maybe in business a few months more)

Rough time for everyone down there though, 600 people laid off between R&H and Dreamworks, that definitely makes for a very congested job hunting market. Best of luck to everyone.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:32 PM   #13
tehFoist
portfolio
Ryan
Edmonton, Canada

You guys have to remember that amidst the economic turmoil and all the issues going on in the industry aside, R&H and those other big companies were making poor investment choices and attempting to expand past their means in that environment.

Dreamworks flopped an $87 million movie, its not quite the same. Its terrible, of course, and I wish all the affected good luck, but a lot of people are kind of throwing it in with the rest of the news and I feel its not quite the same thing.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:54 PM   #14
flipnap
Pepperoni Pizzza

guardians was almost 150 million and only pulled a little over 100. personally i think its horrendous to spend that much money on a cg film. this is another reason why our industry is failing. having been a professional in this industry for over 15 years, most of the productions ive been on have been about 70 percent inneficcient. the amount of wasted time in production is a huge money waster. spending thousands of dollars on a shot while a director examines every pixel of a shot that is going to be completely motion blurred is just an example. those of you who know what im talking about, well, you know what im talking about. pixel f*****g. and it goes on in lighting, modeling, animation, etc.

i once worked on a lower budget film that went to theaters. it was the best film i ever worked on. because it was considered a "lower class" production with a small budget we moved through it like tigers on vaseline. approvals came quick, director laughed at all the jokes and moved stuff through. We often got comments like "could use more polish but, its a 50 frame shot, so lets just move on (where every other film ive worked on, they wouldve spent another week nit picking, costing tons of money). anyway,we made the film for 40 million and it made 200. we could have EASILY spent 100 million and it wouldnt have come out any better, just "shinier". but in the end, we made over 4 times the investment instead of 2. just that easy. i guess what im getting at is things have become so convoluded and it seems so many things are going wrong in almost every avenue and facet of our industry. i think its time for a complete overhaul at the base level.

rant over

God- "nietzsche is dead"

Old 03-01-2013, 09:16 AM   #15
doffer
Keying everything

portfolio
Christoffer Andersen
Animator
Valence, France

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipnap
guardians was almost 150 million and only pulled a little over 100.

According to boxofficemojo it made 300, counting outside of US
But I get what you are saying.

It is a shame your film HAS to make half a billion dollars to be considered a success.
That is an enormous amount of pressure to put on a director, I think.

Thread Closed share thread