Autodesk 2014 Product Line unveiling

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by strangerthings: Don't be buying any hats...Max is soaked in MS only code and schemas.

i'll not be eating a hat or humble pie with luck!

i'll add that it's going to be really hard to sneek peek a new operating system for 3dsmax with a 'hint'

http://www.cresshead.com
youtube channel:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/cresshead

"zero stones - zero crates"

03 March 2013
Much as I'd love 3dsmax for Mac OS I can't realistically see it happening. Max is SO heavily tied into windows code as many have said that a huge chunk of it always feels glacially locked. The fact that the movement keys/mouse feel hard coded should probably say something....

It's a shame though as I think max on OS and Linux would be great but mean huge work was happening behind the scenes; what seems to be the case it Autodesk is focusing on buying a few plugins and integrating them, bug fixing and so forth.

03 March 2013
New 3ds max sneek peek : populate just gone up on youtube add crowds to your scenes

http://www.cresshead.com
youtube channel:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/cresshead

"zero stones - zero crates"

03 March 2013
I can see only 1 change (ramp flow) since project geppeto beta update available 6 MONTHS AGO . Anyway, it's very nice tech, just needs more features ...

03 March 2013
I guess.

Feels like one of those astoundingly niche tools. If you want to do... a moving crowd for an architectural presentation then I guess its interesting.

For games or films? Not so much....

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by DuttyFoot: i wonder how the modeling tools will be improved in Maya 2014

Not! happening! ever! I stopped waiting and switched to Silo for modeling. Slowly designing my own toolset in Maya. They don't care, they don't know, they don't understand. Sorry

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by hanskloss: Not! happening! ever! I stopped waiting and switched to Silo for modeling. Slowly designing my own toolset in Maya. They don't care, they don't know, they don't understand. Sorry

Oh they do know and understand.

And want to sell you a copy of 3dsmax with your Maya for more money. Last time I spoke to a sales rep they did their best to push suites on us, effectively hinting that maya wasn't going to get modelling tools anymore than another package will get sculpting and painting because they want you to buy mudbox.

(although with their love of buying plugins - I'd be surprised if NEX didn't make its way into Maya as their quick modelling solution)

Last edited by Hawksmoor : 03 March 2013 at 09:36 PM.

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by Hawksmoor: (although with their love of buying plugins - I'd be surprised if NEX didn't make its way into Maya as their quick modelling solution)

After all these years I still don't understand why people are getting so excited over NEX. The integration stinks and the overall functionality doesn't solve the problem of modeling in Maya. The whole damn paradigm needs to change. The toolset is archaic, it's slow and is NOT user friendly. Anyways...just ranting

Last edited by hanskloss : 03 March 2013 at 11:37 PM.

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by hanskloss: After all these years I still don't understand why people are getting so excited over NEX. The integration stinks and the overall functionality doesn't solve the problem of modeling in Maya. The whole damn paradigm needs to change. The toolset is archaic, it's slow and is NOT user friendly. Anyways...just ranting

Why what is wrong with NEX? It makes modeling so much smoother and fun.

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: Why what is wrong with NEX? It makes modeling so much smoother and fun.

Personally I think there is nothing wrong with NEX itself, but integration is awful.

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: Why what is wrong with NEX? It makes modeling so much smoother and fun.

The idea behind NEX is great, but the implementation not so much, because the entire tool relies on the current modeling paradigm which is archaic. You still have to click select things in order to perform an operation. From personal experience it irritates the hell out of me that it nullifies some default settings and activates its own. Why? Again, great tools that are hindered by how Maya requires you to work.

Here is my short write up on modeling tools in Maya. Perhaps someone will finally try to understand a portion of what I would like to see. I have done this several times already and each time I do, I add more ideas.

For starters, my very serious suggestion would be to completely eliminate the modeling module and start fresh. Combine as many tools as possible into one. The specific functionality of each modeling tool would depend on selection type. Further, tool functionality could be enhanced by the use of sticky keys. Eliminate or minimize the use of channel/attribute editor. Same could be done when animating/rigging. Every tool parameter, object or component attribute should be adjustable IN THE VIEWPORT right on the selection without the need to access the channel/attribute editor. Think of using the new extrude tool sliders when adjusting bevel, inserting multiple edge loops/rings, adjusting chains, controls, muting, blending, setting rotation limits on the fly right on the bone/joint/chain, anything that requires accessing the channel/attribute editor. Possibilities are endless.

I keep talking to no end about a global pre-selection highlighting system, but I keep hitting a brick wall. No software currently employs a global PSH system. Either people don't understand it or simply....don't understand it Imagine a global cross modular PSH, meaning that it should work on modeling, animation, dynamics, hair/fur, fluids and rendering objects and their components! In other words a PSH system should allow the user to select anything and everything in the viewport. Think of deleting things without actually selecting anything: hover over an object hit the delete key, booom, gone!

To expand on this concept, commands over highlights, something that a lot of people especially the software designers are having a serious problem understanding. I sometimes get a feeling that not many users get this either. Seems that so many people are comfortable using the old way of doing things that they don't realize there are ways of improving their workflow tenfold.
Pre-selection highlighting system with nice visual aids seems simple enough, but this isnt all that it can be used for. The PSH system can be combined with commands and tools over highlights. The idea behind commands over highlights is to eliminate as much repetitive tool selection as possible and make the modeling process as fluid, interruption free and model centric as possible. This means for example that a highlighted selection can be extruded, beveled, wedged, inset, split, bridged, chamfered, spun, merged/welded, etc. with a simple combination of mouse clicks and hotkeys (MMB+Shift, MMB+Alt, MMB+Alt+Shift, MMB+Hotkey). Every object including its native components (this applies mostly to the modeling process) can be modified this way without actually clicking/selecting objects or components. We need to get out of the habit of selecting things. It's 2013, there are more efficient methods of doing the same thing over and over again. Why not take advantage of it?
Commands over highlights could also be combined with object/component specific context sensitive menus for even greater flexibility. Again imagine hovering over an edge (WITHOUT SELCTING IT!) and pressing L to create a complete edge loop. Partial edge loop could be created by hovering over an edge and clicking and holding L and dragging over a desired number of edges to where the partial edge loop would be created. Simple. Sticky keys would play a major role in this.
Forget marking menus! They aren't the "Messiah" of improved functionality and efficient workflow. In all seriousness many novice Maya users have expressed their confusion over the extensive amount of marking menus and inability to remember various tools and their subsequent locations. The idea is that, whether marking menus or contextual menus, they are supposed to be easy to remember and should not require a combination of keys and mouse clicks. They are supposed to be context sensitive, meaning single mouse click bringing up appropriate menu based on perceived selection!! It's an easy concept, nothing abstract.
Much of this functionality can be applied to animation, creating skeletons, rigs, controllers, etc.

Maya has some of the worst poly modeling tools of any software. Most of them have not been updated in years and they are begging for it. I have a $140 Silo sitting on my desktop that has better modeling tools than Maya.
Symmetry? You would think that by 2013 Maya would have what seems like a basic modeling function, but heck...it's Autodesk after all and no, there is no symmetry modeling in Maya, because you don't need it!! Why would anyone use symmetry right? You have to use an instance in the duplicate special options and then convert the instance to regular geo once you are done and merge vertices. That's the workflow ADSK wants you to use. I mean WTF man!?
I understand that it's all personal preference, but if you ever did a real, in depth analysis of workflow, tool implementation and usability you'd understand why so many people complain about modeling in Maya.
I have a great idea. Valve just let Bay Raitt go. Hire the man, help him rewrite the modeling tools, duplicating Mirai functionality. Trust me, the world will thank Autodesk.

03 March 2013
I dont feel that the lack of Max on OSX is a matter of "they cant do it" so much as a matter of "they have no monetary reason too". They did it with AutoCAD which started life a a Windows heavy program held together with a bunch of LISP routines. AutoCAD sort of ran out of features and needed to get more people to buy in. Lots of Architects use AutoCAD so it made sense.

As for Max, I dont think enough Mac users are screaming for it to make any financial sense to rewrite it or adapt it. AutoDesk isnt shy about their desire to make a ton of dough so Im sure if the numbers lined up they would certainly go for it.

Thats just my 2 cents, but if you look at the way Adesk does business, it kinda makes sense

-Dave

03 March 2013
unwrap uv master ZBrush problem!

Hi,
I have problem during my work with ZBrush and 3dsmax.
I import model with texture from 3dsmax and I edit it with ZBrush after that wheen I want to get new texture with unwrap uv master it take about for hours to do that.
is there any solution to reduce the waste of time!
Looking forward for your answers!
Thank you.

03 March 2013
Quote:
Think of deleting things without actually selecting anything: hover over an object hit the delete key, booom, gone!

God please hear me. Do not allow this to ever happen.....

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by f3rry: God please hear me. Do not allow this to ever happen.....

And why?
People are so attached to conventional functionality that they have no understanding of how this would speed up their work. I have seen and used this concept in production and trust me, once I used it, I did not want to go back to this old "click select crap and use tool" paradigm. It's faster, more efficient and way more elegant. You could always give users a choice, if they want to use this or stick with the old method. At least I'm thinking outside of the standards that everyone is clinging to so tightly with no good reason.

Last edited by hanskloss : 03 March 2013 at 12:57 PM.

Thread Closed share thread