Autodesk 2014 Product Line unveiling

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #31
Originally Posted by Horganovski: Wouldn't Apple have to start supporting DX 11 for that to be practical ? (or even up to date Open GL drivers for that matter).

Cheers,
Brian

no

osx - maya, autocad, smoke, cinema4d, modo and blender.

http://www.cresshead.com
youtube channel:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/cresshead

"zero stones - zero crates"

Old 02 February 2013   #32
Originally Posted by cresshead: i'll stick my neck out and propose that a osx version of 3dsmax is coming out!
Never, ever put your gibblets on the chopping block for AD. We know how that story will end.

Old 02 February 2013   #33
Originally Posted by cresshead: no

osx - maya, autocad, smoke, cinema4d, modo and blender.

Do any of those use Direct X though? (apart from Maya 2013.5 where it was added as a new mode in Viewport 2.0 for the Windows version only). Cinema for sure doesn't in any case, it's OGL only. Speaking of which, I saw a post from a member on the C4D Cafe the other day where they benchmarked the Open GL performance of a Mac running it's native OS and Win 7 on the same machine. The open GL scores in 7 were pretty much double those of iOS.

The reason I mention Direct X at all is that it seems to be an important thing to support for game developers (I guess that's why it was added to Maya last version) and my understanding is that game development is a big market for Max, which is what makes me feel it's highly unlikely Max would be ported to iOS unless Apple start supporting DX drivers.

I'm not hating on Macs by the way, many of my friends and clients use them and love them, it's no secret though that their graphics drivers are not as up to date as the Windows equivalents, their OGL is several versions behind the ones in Windows, hence the poor Cinebench results.

Cheers,
Brian

Last edited by Horganovski : 02 February 2013 at 07:37 PM.

Old 02 February 2013   #34
let's wait and see who gets the slice of pie come march 26th

Old 02 February 2013   #35
Originally Posted by cresshead: i'll stick my neck out and propose that a osx version of 3dsmax is coming out!

never going to happen in next 50 years because they never rewrite there software and if they do autodesk don't know how to rewrite code properly (why make things easy and start develop from scratch one code for all (osx,Windows and maybe linux) when you can do it much more complicated and start develop for windows first and after a few years ported to osx or linux. or tell the world that its very complex to ported becasue the stupid developers don't develop for other os from the begining.)

Old 02 February 2013   #36
Originally Posted by habernir: never going to happen in next 50 years because they never rewrite there software and if they do autodesk don't know how to rewrite code properly (why make things easy and start develop from scratch one code for all (osx,Windows and maybe linux) when you can do it much more complicated and start develop for windows first and after a few years ported to osx or linux. or tell the world that its very complex to ported becasue the stupid developers don't develop for other os from the begining.)

well, we'll all find out in 26 days time eh!

Old 02 February 2013   #37
I have no idea how long would it take to create a hole new and fresh core for 3ds max,
but I think it took about 4 to 5 years to cross over from "3d studio 4.0 DOS" to 3d Studio Max R1 for Windows (I'm not sure).

So, the only possible way this could happen would be if Autodesk was working on this, very very secretly for the last 5 or 6 years.

That would explain the lack of improvements in recent 3ds max releases, since the development team was way too busy building this new "universal max" from the ground up.

But that my friends, it's very hard (but not impossible) to believe.

I just survived an 8.8 earthquake, that experience I'll take it to my grave.

Old 02 February 2013   #38
Originally Posted by lazzhar: Not really sure they are actually real beta tester but here and here and here.
That's very common in maya forums

Fair enough, I probably just don't follow frequently enough to notice those.
Ali most likely had a stiffy for the grease pencil

Anyway, on quite a few lists there's the usual wildfire caused by AD's rather generic and generally dysfunctional marketing practices, I suggest you give it time until release.

Not that I'm saying the releases will blow your mind, or that they won't, just that those sneak peaks have always been unintentional flame bait and AD simply seems not to realize it, even after several consecutive years of fumbling it.

They also seem to pick features based on which one is the easiest to record a mute video for, which is enslaving content to media instead of the other way around, when there might be things like architectural changes or extensions and the such you could genuinely get excited about in some circles, but they wouldn't be able to promote.

Old 02 February 2013   #39
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: Fair enough, I probably just don't follow frequently enough to notice those.
Ali most likely had a stiffy for the grease pencil

Guilty as charged.

Old 02 February 2013   #40
Originally Posted by Hooch: I have no idea how long would it take to create a hole new and fresh core for 3ds max,
but I think it took about 4 to 5 years to cross over from "3d studio 4.0 DOS" to 3d Studio Max R1 for Windows (I'm not sure).

So, the only possible way this could happen would be if Autodesk was working on this, very very secretly for the last 5 or 6 years.

That would explain the lack of improvements in recent 3ds max releases, since the development team was way too busy building this new "universal max" from the ground up.

But that my friends, it's very hard (but not impossible) to believe.

They already tried that. It didn't work.

Old 03 March 2013   #41
Maya needs serious improvement with bugs and workflow.
I moved other comments to maya thread.

Als

VFX rule no. 387
# Just redo it!

Last edited by Als : 03 March 2013 at 01:25 AM.

Old 03 March 2013   #42
Originally Posted by Decency: They already tried that. It didn't work.

Thanks for the link, it was a great reading, feel kind of sad it didn't work out tho'.
But it does help to understand better what AD it's trying to achieve with max now.

I just survived an 8.8 earthquake, that experience I'll take it to my grave.

Old 03 March 2013   #43
Let's just hope Mudbox developers don't disappoint us all if they don't add the 8K texture maps support. I'd love to go even higher, it's like, why not, Mari and BodyPaint can do it, why is Mudbox stuck at 4K? I love Mudbox and I only hate that it can't go higher than 4K. I'm considering replacing it with Mari unless they do their job right this year.

Old 03 March 2013   #44
8K support is in 2013 SP3. As well as support for multitouch devices.

Old 03 March 2013   #45

Don't be buying any hats...Max is soaked in MS only code and schemas.

Thread Closed share thread